Author Topic: iron: how does Sjs affect it?  (Read 4029 times)

4Kids

iron: how does Sjs affect it?
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »
My iron came back "dangerously low". My hemoglobin is fine at 133. My ferrous? Is 9, and the other 14. I have to be on iron for a year :(

I am on metformin for pcos, and that causes iron loss, correct? I have had heavy bleeding from periods for 18 months now. It is hetter w treatment for pcos but not perfect yet. And when I got sick in April, I couldn't eat for a month due to thrush and not properly for three months. I lost 31 pounds in May alone, that has to have some consequences with iron right?

My hair was falling out and the general consensus is it was the iron causing the problem. I am not sure I am buying that. My hair loss is better since Plaquenil except when I started the iron. The second day of the gel iron supplements caused abshed.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks? How does Sjs mess w your iron exactly? I think I am better to supplement iron and keep up the metformin that stop metformin. I think.

Thanks for any help.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

lillibelle

Re: iron: how does Sjs affect it?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
My ferretin was a 1...everything was dangerously so dangerously low.  I tested positive for Pernicious Anemia, as these autoimmune diseases often travel in packs.  Had to receive iv iron every day for 1 week, then every week for 1 one, the every month for 1 year, along with monthly b12 shots.  Besides the b12 injections, which I'll need for the rest of my life, my iron has now been stable for about 5 months.

Do you have a good Hematologist?

rnathans

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
I am the opposite. My hemoglobin is usually low but my iron and ferritin were just tested and are very good.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:42:57 PM »
4kids, The autoimmune disease can affect the bone marrow in the long bones which affects the production of the red blood cells. This aspect of autoimmune can be found online by searches on low ferritin level cause, etc.

My ferritin level was 6 several years ago and I had to take the iron pills 3 times a day along with a vitamin C tablet. I took them for close to a year and I heated taking it. After treating this I didn't take the pills for a while and then had an hematologist appt.He told me to take iron tab once a day for the rest of my life.

My ferritin level has been back up---not in normal range, but much higher and my hemoglobin has been up to 13. I feel that I just shouldn't take an iron pill when my hemoglobin is that high. I had a hysterectomy at age 46 so I have not blood loss to worry about.

I decided long ago to eat cold cereal that had high amounts of iron in it. I can buy a store brand cereal at my local grocery store that is just like Total. It has 100% of all the vitamins and most minerals so that I am getting that every day. Sometimes I eat cold cereal for 2 meals each day. So far this seems to help keep me pretty stable.

I don't know why mine did that at that time but that is the way this darn disease is. I would imagine that the Sjogrens plus your other issues may cause you to have more issues with this for the next few years of your life. At lest if you get the ferritin level up to 30 or so it will be less of a problem. Good luck. Irish ;D

mshistory

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 05:14:38 AM »
I've had mild anemia off and on for years, so I do think it's common with these AI diseases and what Irish wrote makes sense.

As for hair loss, it could be the PCOS that is affecting your hair loss as well - many women with a genetic predisposition to hair loss experience it as a symptom of their PCOS. Of course, it could also be the anemia and/or the SjS! I'm battling hair loss as well, so I know how difficult it is. I wish there were an easy answer for us.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

4Kids

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:51:53 AM »
Thanks for all the info.

I assumed pcos caused as well, but why now vs all the years I have had it? Still a real possibility.

I can do cereal and I am not enthused over supplementing either. But I need it up, fast. Am contemplating liver. I do not know if i can make myself eat it. I just started feeling weak and dizzy so I think it was low but functionally low before, but the metformin lowered it. I hope anyway, I am scared it is in my blood now and will cause complications.

I do not have a blood doctor, I am not sure there is one here! My GP gave the order for more iron. Should I call the rheumy and let her know?
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:02:14 AM »
Dang, 4kids, that just reminded me of ANOTHER co-condition of Sjogren's and other autoimmune conditions that I have.

I began to become anemic in 2005, and by 2007 all markers were dangerously low. 

I started iron, markers got better, I stopped, they got worse (repeat three times).

I had all the standard tests (colonoscopy and gastroendoscopy) to determine a source of blood loss.  Nothing found.

I just take iron tablets twice a day, and all is well.

No wonder I think I must have a 'unifying' diagnosis for all these 'joys' in my life.

But so far, nada.

However, as with my solution to the anemia, taking iron, so with most of the other conditions......treat/alleviate/endure.

Keep us posted.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

LizPetillo

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 06:26:51 AM »
Am contemplating liver. I do not know if i can make myself eat it.

I LOVE LIVER.  Either beef liver smothered in onions or chicken liver in a homemade soup.  YUMMMMMMMMM

Narablueeyes

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 06:47:11 AM »
I have hemachromatosis (single parent) so I'm supposed to give blood to keep it down.  too much is a big worry too.  Seems like "balance" is a huge issue with everything we deal with.  Too much this, not enough of that, I wanna know who's in charge of the scale here!!!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:39:17 PM »
4kids, I don't understand what you mean by "afraid it is in my blood now and will cause complications". Can you explain this remark. I am assuming that you mean that the sjogrens is in your blood.????

The AI disease isn't "in the blood" the AI affects the bone marrow and slows the manufacturing of the red blood cells. I don't know why this process sort of comes and goes in some people and others have it most of their life. Also, some of the medications can cause this also. Not a common side effect but one that will come up periodically.

The big thing is to just take the iron pills and the vitamin C so that you get the hemoglobin up as soon as possible. I did have a colonoscopy to rule out loss of blood through the stools.

The symptoms that I had with this was extreme weakness when I got up to walk. I could not walk 6 steps and my heart was racing and I was terribly short of breath. Cardiology put me in a monitor for 2 weeks and I was to press a button every time I got short of breath and fast heart rate. That is all I did was press the darn button. I could be monitored from 100 miles aways.

Anyway, they had done blood work prior when I was up there and it took long enough for them to get back to me. Alas, it wasn't my heart, it was my low ferritin level and hemoglobin that was causing me such misery. Learn something new everyday don't we. IRish ;D

4Kids

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
You know how people say Sjogren's gets in their lungs or thei heart? I am new at this and was afraid the way it messes with bone marrow lift cause cancer or something scary. like that. I am relieved though you think it is a fairly benign thing. Wouldn't it he nice if once the anemia is treated, maybe it will have a positive effect on my dry mouth and throat, dry hair, leg lains and fatigue which i all assumed was from sjs. burning tongue, all the symptoms. I am really hoping.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »
4kids, I don't mean to make the anemia sound "benign" as some people can really have severe problems. It is something that can happen and not all people get it. Just be sure to take your meds and take the anemia seriously. Make sure to get blood work done as doctor orders.

Also, be aware that the anemia can be caused by gastrointestinal bleeding, bleeding ulcers, or some other medical issue. We get so used to blaming sjogrens for everything and we need to make sure that the anemia isn't caused by other things. Good luck. Irish ;D

P.S. Sjogrens can cause issues with the heart itself. Some people will have arrrthymias or irregular heartbeats that need medical intervention. These autoimmune issues can certainly keep us hopping. The good thing is that not everyone gets everything. We all seem to have our own little corner on certain symptoms.

Nat

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 11:28:30 AM »
I have posted a great deal on the lack of pancreatic enzymes and the central role they play in the development of autoimmune disease. You can directly trace each and every symptom of every autoimmune disease directly back to these missing enzymes. Low iron is a common finding in autoimmune disease. For instance, Dr. Woods, the scientific director of the Fibromyalgia Association of America has found fibromyalgia patients also lack iron. Anemia is a common finding in RA.

The problem in autoimmune disease is that you are unable to absorb the iron you do have. Taking additional may lead to further complications. For instance, lack of B12 is the cause of pernious anemia, but I have posted studies to show that these enzymes in the pancreas are "essential" for the binding and transport of B12 in the body. (you can check my past posts to see the study) Taking supplemental B12 that you cannot properly metabolize has led to an increased risk of cancer and even death in studies. (check past posts)

The same would be true of iron. Here is a study that shows these enzymes regulate iron absorption. Imagine standing at the bus stop with suitcase in hand waiting for a bus that never comes. Loading yourself down with more suitcases won't make the bus come.
http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/10/3063.full?keytype=ref&ijkey=IC94FAmKug1SV5n

Pisces24

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
Always check any meds (new or old) you are taking for side effects.

I had one once (do not remember the name) that dropped my iron real low. Two weeks off it and iron was just fine.

4Kids

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
I have been having extended periods for 18 months. 18-20 day periods, with 12-15 days of heavy bleeding. Nobody can bleed like that without consequences.  I have been under an extreme amount of stress, bith physically and emotionally for the same timeframe. I am doing my best trying to eat the natural foods.