Author Topic: A New Leaf Club 2011/2012  (Read 26806 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: A New Leaf Club 2011/2012
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:48 AM »
Hi everyone - it sounds like y'all have been busy.   ;)

Doesn't it feel good to see the end results of something you've been putting off doing?

Some times I wish I had a "team" to come in and we could all tackle a different project that day and knock things off the "to do" list in a short amount of time.  Wouldn't that be nice?!  Any of those remodeling shows on TV, they have a whole crew of people to help on each project.

Same thing with all the celebrities, etc. - sure, we'd all look fabulous if we had a whole team of people to do our hair, makeup, clothes, etc.  A friend of mine from Ohio was in NY last year with her sister and her sister was picked for a makeover on the Today show with Kathie Lee and Hoda.  She said there were so many people working on Vickie (her sister).  It's amazing the difference from the "before" pictures to the "after" pictures.

Speaking of pictures - I hope some of you are taking a "before" and "after" picture of the projects you are tackling.  I know the time I cleaned out my closet, I did that.  It was shocking to see how much "stuff" I had crammed into my closet (as it was laying all over the bedroom as I took everything out at one time - which, by the way, I don't suggest a person do!!  ;) ).

Also, with most things, it's not a one-time fix.  It's on-going maintenance to keep everything cleaned, organized, weeded out, etc. 

Well, I better get off the computer and get busy.  I STILL haven't put all the garage sale items away yet in the garage from my sale four weeks ago.  I just keep putting it off.  Ugh! (guess I better follow some of my own advice, huh?)  I might break it up into a 2-day project as I have the day off work today and tomorrow.  Anybody want to come help?  I'll feed ya!   :D

Have a good day everyone!

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »
Well . . . another day I didn't get any of the garage stuff put away.   :(  After doing some vacuuming, my elbow starts hurting and I didn't want to make it hurt more by lugging boxes to the basement.  There's always tomorrow, right?   ;)

I DID get two fliers printed up and some pictures printed for 11 items I am wanting to sell.  I'll take them to the bank tomorrow and post them on their bulletin board in the lobby.  Hopefully, some of the items will sell - I'm keeping my fingers crossed - as it would mean several hundred dollars.

Time to hit the hay . . . goodnight.

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

eyeamdry

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
I ove this thread although I have not "joined" it.  It is a great incentive also.  It's nice to hear I am not the only over run by junk mail.  Have few real bills(mail) but paper by the bagfuls to shread. Lucy

Carebear

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »
I finished painting two walls in the den, so I have only two to go!   ;D  Maybe I'll have the room finished by the end of the weekend.

Thank you, Methotrexate!   ;D
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Meld256

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »
arina,

Wow, that is a lot of record-keeping for 50 alpacas! I'll bet they are beautiful animals you have.  ;)

Yeah, Carebear! You're really working hard on that den.  It feels so nice to be able to do things you want, isn't it?

I managed to get some extra cleaning done today.  Needs done anyway, but our daughter is visiting next week and I want it looking and smelling good.  She is pregnant and has an extra-sensitive nose right now.  I washed the slipcovers in the living room, cleaned a closet a little and vacuumed one room. 

I thought about doing more later this afternoon, but I was ready for a break!  My MIL dropped by and invited me to an early dinner with her, and then I was done for the day.

Narablueeyes

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 10:54:42 AM »
I spent two hours taking stuff (shoes, old sweaters and t-shirts) out of the closet on Saturday morning and sorting through. Really, though, I ended up just made more of a mess because suddenly I realized I was exhausted! My arms and legs and back were sore, so I decided to leave everything "for a minute" and have a short nap.

Three hours later I woke up. It was such a wreck in my bedroom that I just shoved everything back into the closet.

:'(

Ooooh, you and I have had the EXACT SAME problem!!  My walk-in is no longer a walk-in.  I'm lucky to even be able to step foot inside it.  We'll get there.  One of these days. :)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »
Today's been a really good day.  I ran (OK, drove  ;) ) to the grocery store, hurried home to see the last show with Regis Philbin.

Just to reflect on Regis for a minute.  I really like that guy.  It's hard to believe he is 80 years old!  I have never heard a bad thing about him.  He's always funny, kind and he seems like a fun person to be around.  He and his wife, Joy, seem to be very down-to-earth and loving people.  We'll miss you Regis.  Enjoy whatever it is you get into next. 

Back to today . . . after Regis, I decided to go do a few errands.  One being, going to the new Bass Pro Shop in town and get a pair of hiking boots for my hubby.  For those of you who have never been in a Bass Pro Shop - they are so cool.  Since I was by myself, I could take my time and just wander around the store.

I went over and watched the fish in the huge fish tank, watched several people in the shooting gallery hitting the targets, watched a little boy steering the monster truck around a track, I challenged an older gentlemen to race me at the remote controlled race car track they had set up.  He beat me.   :(  My car kept stopping for some reason. 

I sampled a wonderful, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth sliver of fudge.  Mmmmm, it was soooooo good!  White fudge and caramel.  Yum!

I took my time looking throughout the store.  There were a lot of guys there checking out all the manly stuff in the store.  But, there were a lot of women there shopping too.

Whenever I am in a store like this, it makes me feel like I am on vacation.  The only other Bass Pro Shop I've ever been to was when we WERE on vacation in TN.  Now, we have one right in our own backyard.   :)

Of course, the stores are trying to get everyone to part with their hard earned money right now and spend it with them.  They entice you with the smell of fresh popped popcorn, warm pecans, cashews, and almonds.

I saw a couple of tables that were covered and taped so you couldn't see what was under the cover and I asked a lady standing next to it, "what do you think they are hiding underneath there?".  She said, "it's probably something for Black Friday".  Her guess was they were sweatshirts.  She said in previous years at other Bass Pro Shops she had been to, they sell sweatshirts really cheap around Black Friday.  She also said, "don't bother coming here then, it will be a madhouse!".  LOL

So, I bought my hubby a pair of hiking boots, a "cone" of cinnamon pecans and went on my merry way.

Dropped some money in the red kettle on the way out and smiled all the way home.   ;D

Some times the "new leaf" isn't all about the home and organization, etc.  It's about seizing the moment and having fun.  I did that today!!   :D

Have a good weekend.

Bucky

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 12:02:04 PM »
Actually, being kind to ourselves is probably more important -- especially at this time of year -- than having a clean closet.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

MiJoy

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »
Count me in! I know I'm joining a little late, but this thread is so timely for me.
Clutter in my house has been weighing very heavy on me since we moved here almost 2 YEARS ago!

Now that I finally have a diagnosis & have been on meds for Sjogren's since April, I actually have energy spurts now & then.
So, I've been tackling a little at a time.
I'm a teacher, so I have a WHOLE WEEK off for Thanksgiving, plus we got yesterday & today unexpectedly off due to some bad weather that came through our county. (No one hurt thankfully, but damage to many roads & our high school.)
I got lots done yesterday & a little more today.

My husband & I became empty nesters in August, so I'm REALLY looking forward to our children coming home this week.
I'm excited about having some things cleaned up before they come Monday. I REALLY want to have things looking nice for Christmas, too.
Amazing how getting the clutter out makes me feel so good, like a weight lifted.

Thanks for starting the "New Leaf Club". I know I will need continual encouragement to keep things going when I'm back at work with no energy left for home.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »
Well, Bucky, I watched the last Regis show today also. I thought he did well not to break down in tears. He looks so good for his age but I have noticed that his mind is not as sharp as it used to be and he will look confused at times.

I am glad he quit before he was asked to leave---he said this himself in an article or TV program this week. Yes, we will miss him, that is for sure. Never knew what he would do next. And he wasn't perfect and wasn't afraid to let us know it.

Well, I got my sheers washed today and hung back up in the family room. Then I moved all the furniture and vacuumed and did some rearranging, etc. Washed the patio windo and the picture window also. I have to move slow with my myasthenia and rest a lot plus take the mestinon to keep my muscles from getting weak.

Any thing I do is an exercise in patience for me. It takes me so long to get anything done. Heck, I used to do as much in one day as I do in a month now. Anyway, the room looks so much better. I am trying to get the house cleaned up for Thanksgiving as my son, DIL and their 2 kids are coming for a couple of days. We will have Thanksgiving here. I hope to make pies tomorrow. This, of course, will take me hours.

I will make the crust in the morning and put in refrig to cool down. In the afternoon I hope to make a pumpkin pie, custard pie, blueberry pie and 2 pumpkin pies with gluten free crust. Whenever I make pies a bake them and freeze them. I will just freeze the crust for the custard and bake it the day before Thanksgiving. I have my dad's custard pie recipe (he owned 3 restaurants over a period of about 20 years or so and his pies were awesome) and hubby and sons love it.

I also have to clean the living room really good and when kids come for the meal Thanksgiving day they are going to have to move a big bookcase and my piano before we eat. Hopefully this will be the last time to switch furniture around. I suppose I need to warn them about this.lol

I have been picking away at the house now for a couple of weeks. Yesterday was my infusion and I am always shot for the rest of the day(always feel a little like the flu with a mild headache) and today I was feeling bushed in the morning worse than usual. Well, I got my head of steam half way up this PM and got some stuff done.

Will have to give the bathrooms a good cleaning too.  The rest of you gals are really getting some chores done too. Must be the change in the weather and the holidays coming. Irish ;D

MiJoy

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
Irish, you amaze me, as do many others on this board. You have so much to deal with, yet you always have a positive outlook & it sounds to me like you get a whole lot done, more than many with no health issues!

You inspire me & continually remind me how much I have to be thankful for & not to take everyday things for granted.

A big part of my turning over a new leaf is in my attitude, remembering to focus on the positive, the "can do's" instead of the "can't do's". I'm not so good at it a lot of times, but seeing how many of you have faced such difficult challenges for years gives me inspiration & encouragement.

Thank you & God bless each of you!
Joy  :)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »
MiJoy - I know exactly what you mean, "Amazing how getting the clutter out makes me feel so good, like a weight lifted."  It's a good feeling!   :D

Irish - my goodness, that's a lot of pies you are making!  They sound yummy! The only pie I've ever "made" is taking a graham cracker crust and making up chocolate pudding and pouring it in.   :(   I know a "homemade" pie takes a lot of time - but, the taste is sooooo worth it!  What time should I be there?   ;)

I've mentioned this handy dandy tool a few times through the years, but it's the next best thing to sliced bread . . . . it's called Sliders or Sliding Robots.  You place them under the corners of whatever you are moving and the item you are moving literally slides across the floor.  You can find them at Walmart or other stores - I think in the Hardware Dept.  They are great for couches, bookcases, beds, dressers, entertainment centers, etc.  Saves a lot of back breaking work to lift and carry things that need to be moved.

Today, I trimmed some bushes outside, put some leaves around the bottom of the heirloom rose bush (this belonged to my husbands great grandmother!), put up driveway markers for winter (that nasty six letter word!), and tried to gather some acorns for the squirrels for the winter - but, I didn't find very many.

I also made a deal with our son, I would pay him $15 if he would put away the rest of the garage sale items from the garage and take the tables down and put them away.  He said, "deal".  So, hopefully, he will do that this weekend.  It's a win-win situation for both of us . . . I can save my spoons for other things, and he can make a little bit of money.   :D

I'm looking forward to switching to holiday decorations next weekend.  I love the colors of Christmas - especially, red, my favorite color. 

Bucky

Carebear

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »
Finished one coat of paint on the two remaining walls today.  Decided to "rest" for a while.  That lasted the rest of the day, so tomorrow morning I finish painting the den...at least that's the plan.  :D
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
MiJoy, Well, you should be at my house as I do these chores. It is moan and groan and sit down and repeat. Also, I was so darned pooped from cleaning the family room that I didn't get the pies made and will have to do that another day. Besides that some friends called and asked us out for supper---and we went!!!!

Bucky, well, just think when the son has the garage cleaned up and put away you can get ready for Christmas and then start thinking about garage sales for next year. I wish I had the energy to do one but I did it once and it almost did me in. It is much easier to take it to the service center. Irish ;D

MiJoy

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2011, 08:35:35 PM »
Irish, even with the moan & groan, you're amazing to get so much done with all you have to deal with!

Got loads more clutter cleared out of our extra bedroom today with my husband. 2 large bags of garbage & several boxes to donate to Goodwill. (I gave up on garage sales years ago, too much trouble!)

Even got some pictures hung up for the first time since we moved here, 2 years ago in December.

Washed sheets on our 2 children's beds, dusted & vacuumed their rooms.
Daughter comes home from grad. school tomorrow night, son comes home Tuesday.
Can't wait to have our whole family home for a few days!

Tomorrow a little more cleaning, then off to the grocery store.

I am so very thankful for good energy & low pain. As many have said, you don't know how bad you felt until you feel better.
Oh how good it feels to feel better!!  ;D