Author Topic: A New Leaf Club 2011/2012  (Read 28478 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
A New Leaf Club 2011/2012
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:51:19 PM »
Hi everyone  :)

For those of you who have been around the boards for a while, you might remember two years ago, I posted about starting this "club", A New Leaf Club.  We had a good group of people participating and sharing their stories of things they accomplished or were working on.  (If you want to read about our last adventure, here's the link:  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=10498.0  )

Well, it's time to form a new club for the rest of this year and for the New Year to come.

This club is for anyone who wants to "turn a new leaf" - meaning, "take a fresh start, change one's conduct or attitude for the better".

As I re-read all the posts from the last time we did this, I was reminded of the things I still struggle with (paper clutter, newspaper clutter, keeping organized, exercising), but . . . I also was proud of the accomplishments I undertook and still keep up two years later (the re-organizing of my kitchen cupboards/pantry, organizing the medicine cabinet, etc.).   :)

Back in 2009, I had all kinds of plans to get my house in order - I did make some strides in the right direction, but it's slow going.  Back then, I was a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom).  Well, since then - I have had to return to work part-time.  So, I don't have the "extra" time at home now, like I did then.  However, it's more important than ever that I get my affairs in order so I don't waste my spoon allotment and time hunting and hunting for things.

So, what I'm looking for in this "club" is members who are serious about making changes in what's left of 2011 and carry over throughout 2012.

If you are not into getting your home and life in order - that's fine, this club is probably not for you then.  I don't want "downers" . . I want us to be "positive and uplifting".  I would like this "club" to be a group that helps motivate each other and encourage each other outside of our daily lives living with Sjogrens. 

Tomorrow is a new month - so, there's no time like the present to begin this New Leaf Club.  So, starting November 1, 2011 - if anybody wants to join me in this "club", I'll be glad to have your company.

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

engy

Re: A New Leaf Club 2011/2012
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:14:40 AM »
Count me in  ;D
I just woke up & need to get ready for work but I'll post more later, thanks Bucky!
Carie
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:17:11 AM by engy »
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:54:22 AM »
Great idea! I've read through last years club "minutes" and I see that a lot of folks had a lot of energy! I can't commit to cleaning out EVERYTHING, but I would like my closet to be as tidy as my desk at work.

I have a problem tossing out old clothes. I'm still wearing stuff I got for Christmas when I was still in high school! I buy stuff I like, and I wear it until it falls apart. Then I still can't get rid of it! It seems like whenever I go through the closet and toss stuff -- and by tossing I mean donating -- I end up wondering, "Why did I get rid of that (insert clothing item here)? I wish I still had it!" I get rid of stuff that's not in season, for example, getting rid of sweaters when I'm cleaning out in the summer. Then, when winter comes, I'm like, "Where are all my sweaters?"

So my closet is stuffed with clothes. This makes it hard for me to put stuff away after I take it off in the evenings. So I hang it on the back of a chair, or drape it over the desk "just for a minute." And there it still sits in a wrinkled mess. Even the stuff in my closet is a wrinkled mess.

So I'll commit to cleaning out my closet finally. This will include old purses, shoes, belts.

AAARRRGGGHHH!  :-\
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

arina83

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:47 AM »
I'm in too. Really need to organize my office and do more work unpacking. Moved here in 2008 and we still have a lot of stuff in boxes.

Just got my bedroom and bathroom clean and relatively organized, which was a major project. Another little project that goes along with that is refinishing 3 pieces of antique furniture I just got.

There's more, but I think these are things that need to be done soon and are small enough where they won't be too difficult for me to do by myself.

Narablueeyes

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 04:59:19 AM »
Count me in too!!  I am such a clutter bug!!  And I REALLY need to be consistent in exercising.  My dining room table is half mailbox, half catch all. I know it bugs him but even if it were cleared off, we'd NEVER use it for eating.  I know, no excuses - it needs to be clean. 

A66eyroad

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 06:03:57 AM »
My closet is overwhelming! There's just so much to do! No wonder I've put it off for years.

That's why I'm going to break it down into chunks. My Husband The Therapist says: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

So today's job is going to be getting a pad and writing down everything that needs to be done: Go through shoes. Weed out old summer clothes. Weed out sweaters. Take donation to Goodwill. Gather hangers and bring to laundry room. You get the picture.

Then each day I'm going to do just one thing on the list. That way I'll have a feeling of accomplishment without having to have the whole thing finished in one fell swoop.

>Sigh<

It still seems overwhelming.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 07:32:31 AM »
Hi Ladies - I'm so glad I will have company as we compare notes, encourage and help each other get our lives and homes in a more harmonious balance.   ;D

A66eyroad - I feel for you and tackling "the closet".  I did that last year or the year before (I can't remember which).  I think you're smart writing it all down and tackling it a piece at a time.  Unlike me . . I hauled everything out of the closet and it stacked it on the bed, on the floor, everywhere . . . talk about overwhelming!!   :o

In my closet, I just had the wooden hanging rod and a long shelf above it.  I had everything except the kitchen sink in there!!  I got one of those Rubbermaid configuration kits where you can arrange it any way you want.  So, I have a high bar for dresses, sweaters, jackets, to the left of my closet.  A lower bar for shirts to the right.  Above the shirt bar is three shelves - one above the other and I have jeans folded and stacked on one.  Purses on another, and my sewing box, and misc. stuff on another.  Then, on the very top is a long shelf that I keep papers in clear shoebox containers.

The high bar runs the whole length of the closet, so if I wanted to, I could take one of the shelves out (since they are all adjustable) and have room for some more short hanging items.

I also got a vertical hanging shoe bag that hangs off the high bar.

Shoes are a problem for me too.  Not that I have a lot of them, but enough that I don't know what to do with them.  I have a small shoe "rack" that is four sided and I have shoes hanging on that, plus the hanging shoe bag in the closet.  Plus . . shoes scattered all over the bedroom floor.  Ugh!  I'll be anxious to hear what you do with yours.

Are you planning on reconfiguring your closet or just downsizing?

They say you only wear the same 20% of your clothes 80% of the time.  Hmmmm, maybe I need to go through my closet again, and get rid of some more so they aren't so squeezed together.  I do admit to wearing "my favorites" over and over.   ;)

Good luck with your closet.  I think you're handling it the right way . . . a little at a time!   :)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Still in the hunt

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 12:25:29 PM »
I started to strip wallpaper off my bathroom in March,, I still havent finished it,, my arms burn to bad,, it just seems my house is fallinig apart and I cant do a thing to stop it,, I try to kkeep the house decent while my wife works,, but its getting harder,, breaking out in momre rashes,, and coughing out this crap is  bringing out fresh blood,, that started yesterday,, I have no idea whats going on,, but I will try to make a effort to do something,,

Carebear

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 08:49:18 PM »
Well, Bucky, you sure did motivate me to get some things done around here.

Today I organized all the "stuff" I have wanted to sell on Kijiji for ages, took photos, wrote descriptions and priced them.  They are now ready for posting.  ;D

I'm like you SITH.  I always need a project to work on but I'm so slow.  I started patching the den for painting two months ago.  I just haven't had the energy to work on it lately.  So my goal is to have everything patched and sanded by the middle of the month.  And the painting will be finished by the end of November.

I have also decided to "turn over a new leaf" regarding my reaction to my crabby next door neighbour.  Let's just say my new mantra is "Stay Calm".   8)  And I did...all day long.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

engy

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 04:29:58 PM »
I need to start exercising again so now when I log on here on my ipad I get on my recumbent bike. I've only done 10 minutes for 2 days but it's something!

Carie
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

A66eyroad

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
...last night I cleaned out my sock drawer. You wouldn't believe how many singletons I was able to pair up!   :D

Female, 61

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:33:49 AM »
Good Morning  :)

Everyone is doing a great job working on projects.  For myself, I know it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I can "see" end results of something I've done.

Some jobs are "unseen" or "unnoticed" by others - for instance, when I open the kitchen cupboards and notice a layer of dust there (we have a field next to us and they just harvested the corn recently) - so, it created a lot of dust in our house.  So, today, I will take the plates and bowls and cups out of the cupboard and wipe everything down and put them back.  Will my husband and son notice?  Nope.  Will they care?  Nope.  But I notice, and I care.  It's just me.   :D

Also on my "to do" list today is to sort through the pile of papers on the kitchen counter (which ends up being the "catch-all" for the mail, newspapers).  I'm just hoping there are no bills in there that should have been paid, as I haven't looked through this pile in a week.   ???

Today is a windy, cold, rainy day - a good day to do some cleaning and getting things in order (somewhat  ;) ).  What a fun way to spend my day off, huh?  ::)  I get a lot more accomplished when I'm home alone, than I can when "the boys" are here.

I better get at it.  That cleaning fairy never seems to show up . . . I think I'll fire her!!   ;)

Bucky

P.S.  Carie - 10 minutes of exercise is 10 minutes!!  Good for you!!  Keep it up.   :D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
Woohoo . . . . mission accomplished today!!   ;D

I ended up shredding a pile of papers 3-1/2" deep of "junk" that comes in the mail with our name on it.  We get so many credit card applications, AARP information, all kinds of advertisements from every Tom, Dick and Harry.   ::)

What usually happens with me, when I start one project, it spills over into another and another.  Example:  I was wiping off the kitchen counters, well, then I checked on the microwave and wiped it out, then the stove top, then the front of the stove, then the outside of the refrigerator.

Now, if I can just get my husband to get the pile of his "stuff" off the corner of the counter - the kitchen looks 90% good.  (I still have some stuff on the snack bar that I need to find a home for.)

How I wish this was a one-time clean and it stays that way . . . unfortunately, we all know it's not.   :(

Bucky

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »
Hmmmm, moving three times in 2010 sorta managed the 'getting rid of stuff' and 'getting stuff organized' part of my life.

What I need to do is get MORE exercise, continue my newly started weight loss plan, and be nicer (I was going to say TRY! But I need to do more than 'try') to my husband.  It's hard since he is so unaware of his own nastiness.   I have trouble being generous and loving because I'm holding resentments.

I can list resentments that go back to 1963!

Now that is just not useful, after all this time.

Sooooo, more exercise, continue to honestly chart my food on Lose It.com, and be nicer, period.

Is that enough?

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

A66eyroad

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 05:15:40 AM »
Last night I went through 1/4 of my closet and made two piles of things -- one to bring to one of the skinny girls here, and the other to donate to Goodwill.

Tonite we're going to a piano recital at the local college, so I'm giving myself the night off!
Female, 61