Author Topic: Lower my Plaquenil from 400mg to 200mg AND start Cymbalta, anyone else?  (Read 4197 times)

YYC_ Mommy

I saw my Rheumy last week and to be honest lately I have been feeling better, okay maybe not better but not worse. I have been going along with more energy and finally able to do some things that I want to do without as much pain.

I have been on Plaquenil for 1 year and 8 months and I feel that on many levels that it has given me some of my life back. Now the Rheumy said, "lets try you on 200mg and start Cymbalta to help you sleep and with the nerve pain".

I am truly scared to lower the Plaquenil, I do not want to go backwards. My Rheumy said to call him if after I lower it if I was not feeling well BUT I don't want to go back as it has taken me so long to get to this place.

Anyone else lower their Plaquenil dose and had success? I am very confused.

jasonsmith

Re: Lower my Plaquenil from 400mg to 200mg AND start Cymbalta, anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 06:07:12 PM »
Don't meds like Cymbalta have Dry Mouth as a side effect?

kellyk

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
My understanding is that the dose of plaquenil should be based on your weight... more doesn't mean it works better..

If you weigh 130 pounds of less the dose should be 200mg a day.. if you weigh over 130 pounds you should be taking 200 2x day..

not sure that helps...

jasonsmith

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
My understanding is that the dose of plaquenil should be based on your weight... more doesn't mean it works better..

If you weigh 130 pounds of less the dose should be 200mg a day.. if you weigh over 130 pounds you should be taking 200 2x day..

not sure that helps...

I believe it goes by your lean body weight. I don't know how they figure that up, but it goes by how much you weigh without any fat. As they say the Plaquenil doesn't accumulate in your fat, so that is why they don't include the fat in your weight when figuring up the mg.

I used to weigh 135 lbs. when I was real thin before I developed some body fat in my mid section. So, I'd guess my lean body weight is 135 lbs.

Jellyb

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:56:11 AM »
Hi YCC,
My dose was lowered from 200 mg to 100 mg every other day because I was having trouble tolerating it. But the lower dose did not make my symptoms go backward.

LizPetillo

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »
My weight is 125.

The Rhuemy lowered my dose three weeks ago from 400 to 200 a day ... because my liver numbers were off.  He wanted to check to see if it was the plaquinel I guess.

Within a week I was having an awful time .... dried up, tongue sores, muscles hurting in places they didn't hurt before, NEW neuropathy on my face and lips and NEW burning skin all over my left arm ... and worst of all a very tight chest/breathing issues.

After two weeks like that I got the new bloodwork done as requested and immediately went back to 400 a day ... he didn't tell me to but I did it anyways.   Within 2 days I was feeling much better.  Back to the 'normal' yuk feeling instead of the intolerable feelings that came with the lower plaquinel dose.

Waiting on the results of the bloodwork now ... but if it comes back and he says he want's me down to 200 a day I'm going to have a fight with him .... I've GOTTA have 400 a day or it is completely intolerable.  That's not an exaggeration.

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:13:24 AM »
Thanks everyone! My weight is not close to 135 and I have been tolerating the 400mg dose well. I did have a period of 4 months where my blood platelets were low but he said that was just part of the disease not due to the Plaquenil.

LizPetillo, I would have done the same thing if you were feeling terrible on the 200mg. I am just worried that I too will go backwards.

I get that the The Rheumy wants to see if I can "make" it on the 200mg and be okay, plus add in the Cymbalta BUT I am scared.

Narablueeyes

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
Thanks everyone! My weight is not close to 135 and I have been tolerating the 400mg dose well. I did have a period of 4 months where my blood platelets were low but he said that was just part of the disease not due to the Plaquenil.

LizPetillo, I would have done the same thing if you were feeling terrible on the 200mg. I am just worried that I too will go backwards.

I get that the The Rheumy wants to see if I can "make" it on the 200mg and be okay, plus add in the Cymbalta BUT I am scared.

Hey YCC, I can understand your concern but a lot of people can tolerate Cymbalta and it helps them so much.  Unfortunately, I am not one of them but you might be. 

newhorizons

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
YYC, I started taking Cymbalta in 2009 as Rx for Perpherial Neuropathy and Fibro at 20 mg and returned 600 mile trip back to Duke to Neurologist and he raised Rx to 30 mg since I had done well at 20. He remarked if I felt it needed increased to call and return to Duke.

Now having taken it over 2 years I can tell a difference in my mental outlook as well as my overall health status... You know, mind, body, and spirit need to be in tune!!! ;)

Never have taken Plaquenil as had severe eye issues when traveled many miles to John Hopkins Eye Ctr. and was diagnosed with SS after 17 years of agonizing with my eyes. I was declared low-vision impaired and placed on disability. I waited 5 yrs until the FDA approved a procedure and I had both epithiliums peeled and grew new ones. I had massive abrasions and even to the crater depths in a few spots on left eye.

Truly a miracle... My vision was restored by Dr. Alan Carlson at Duke Eye Ctr to 20/20 in near and far range... wonderful retina and eye condition behind that mess over the cornea of each eye.  Made the decision again after this surgery in 2000 to go with using Plaquenil.

My daughter was diagnosed last year with SS. It hit her at 39 and she had extreme joint pain and eye issues like I did. She yo-yos back and forth on 200-400 mg daily of P. She has some side effects that she really does not like but tolerates with thinking it will slow the progression since she started at a much higher involvement than I had.

YYC, Cymbalta is new to treating PN and Fibro as it was primarly used for depression patients. Plaquenil was used for years for malaria and some more knowledgeable than I can tell how long it has been Rx for Sjogren's.

Trust this post gives you one idea to ponder... and, it will truly have been worth my time! ;D

Courtney

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 12:24:13 AM »
Odd... I have been taking Plaquinil 400mg/day for at least 5+ yrs. TODAY, I received call from Rhuemy regarding the refill request from Walgreen's for my Plaquinil. From what I know so far is that (FDA?) just changed dosaging & now depends upon height(why nor height & weight?). I'll have more info tomorrow & will share! Also, my Rhuemy just switched me from Lexapro to Cymbalta last month during bad Lupus&Sjogren's flare (so far so good--no major difference either way yet). Very similar, hmmm.... ???  ???

YYC_ Mommy

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »
Newhorizans, thank you for sharing. You have given me lots of to think about :)

Courtney, that is strange and I do wonder if my Rheumy is thinking along the same way as yours but perhaps did not communicate it to me in the same way? Would love to hear more from you once you have it.

Thanks everyone :)