Author Topic: Supplements for dry scalp  (Read 1820 times)

jmkboyer

Supplements for dry scalp
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »
Hi all--

For the first time in my life, I have a dry scalp issue.  My head is itchy and dandruffy and it's gross.  My skin is also dry, but I'm OCDish about my lotion so it's not much of a problem.  I bet Joe S. has an answer for this--is there any supplements/vitamins that will help my scalp?  I've got good shampoo/conditioner and just got my brand, spankin' new humidifier going.  Anything I can take internally to help?

Thanks,

MB

Jellyb

Re: Supplements for dry scalp
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »
Hi there,
I havenot been able to use hair conditioner for years because my skin is so sensitive and reactive. Someone posted a while back ( thank you for whoever posted that )
 to rinse my hair with diluted apple cider vinigar and I tried this and was so happy. It made my hair smooth and shiny and it also  helped with my dandruff.

I think it gets rid of build up on tbe scalp and closes the cuticle on the hair shaft.  I also read if you lower your carbohydrates in your diet and increase your fish oil and b vitamins that can help too.
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

engy

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »
Try Flaxseed oil, worked for me. It helps with other dryness too.

Carie
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:48:36 PM by engy »
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit d & c,high salt diet for low BP!

season

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
After you wash your hair rub a little mineral oil, or vitamin e oil directly onto your scalp with the tips of your fingers. This really does help.

Something else that I think is great is VO5 Hairdressing ointment. It is great for dry scalp.
female 58

primary Sjogrens, hypertension, aching joints, numbness and tingling in legs, dry eyes, nose, mouth; trigemenal neuralgia; irregular heartbeat, gastritis, diverticulosis, hi-hernia

meds: baby asprin, lorazepam as needed,  fish oil, Diovan for BP, Plaquenil, Salagen, Prevecid,

lea78

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »
I have dry scalp pretty bad at the moment and cant stand the itching, I have had this on and off since being a teenager. I use normal shampoo then every few moments need to use a special more expensive one which usually works. The one i am using at the moment doesnt seem to be working and i couldnt get hold of the one i normally get so will have to put up with the itching for now
34 yr old with Primary sjorgrens, endometriosis, anxiety, severe pmt
Viscotears,  zoloft

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »
Be sure to avoid sodium lauryl sulfate and its derivitives. I buy Aubrey Organics products. Very herbal and very good. I don't know if I'm allowed to give links, but they can be found at Vitacost.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

jmkboyer

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:19:08 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!  I will definitely be trying some of them.

MB