Author Topic: Diet and Sjogrens  (Read 3160 times)

Josephine69

Diet and Sjogrens
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:30:06 AM »
Hi, my Mr Man has  Sjogrens and we're thinking of cutting meat out of our diet, I would like to know if there are any benefits or disadvantages to a vegetarian diet?

In a non vegetarian way has anyone any tips about foods to eat or avoid? Do certain foods affect Sjogrens at all.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Diet and Sjogrens
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:37:25 AM »
Hi Josephine  :)

You are going to get a lot of answers to this! Diet seems to affect some people more than others.

My only contribution is that a vegetarian diet is kinder to the liver. If there is any thyroid involvement, however, there are certain vegetables that are meant to be avoided.

Personally I just try to eat a balanced diet.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »
Josephine69 welcome to the forum.

:) Heaven forbid you take my tiger meat away. How do you expect me to get iron. :) You have to make sure that your new diet supplies an appropriate mix of vitamins and minerals. If you are planning on going vegetarian or vegan, you may also consider Macrobiotic.

I suggest that you read "Spoon Theory" if you have not. It will help you understand what your husband is going through.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Narablueeyes

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:20:12 PM »
Hello. My name is Nara and I'm a diet Dr. Pepper addict.

It has become a serious problem because I know it's not what my body needs, especially the caffeine and aspartame, but dang!! It helps me stay awake at work and while driving, which is paramount right now.

I like tea but tea just doesn't quite cut it.  Coffee - ehn, only during the winter. But I still crave that can or two or three of bliss every single day.

I weened myself off a few years ago (slowly, not cold turkey) and was drinking tea instead but could NOT function.  For over a year and a half, I was irritable, moody, headaches out the wazoo, lost my appetite even!

My diet is good, was back then too.  Not much on junk food except goldfish crackers.  Not much on the fried foods either EXCEPT when I make beignets a few times a year.  Try to stick with gluten free crackers, not a bread eater.  Fruit, veggies, I eat and drink them all. 

But I cannot seem to get away from this elixir of the gods!!  Any ideas??

(did I break this post up enough to make it easy on the eyes??)

Jellyb

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
Welcome Josephine
My doctor recomended anti inflammatory diet, you can google it. And I am also gluten free.
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

4Kids

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »
Not too much to contribute but there are theories that a meat-based diet along w vegetables and fruit are very beneficial as grains cause inflammation (google the Primal Blueprint) and then there are members here who believe a vegetarian diet helps.

I have no idea but I do know that refined carbs are the devil.

Good luck!
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

My blog: http://thenot-so-supermum.blogspot.ca

Meld256

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »
Hi Josephine!

Welcome to our forum.  ;)  As Scottie mentions, you'll get all kinds of answers about this, and it will come down to you and your honey's own choices. 

Some people try a process of elimination to see if there is something that seems to make them feel better or worse. You could also try to keep track of what he's eaten/drank lately if he's having more issues all of a sudden. 
As for me, personally, I don't see that anything either helps or hurts. I just try to eat as healthy and balanced as I can.
Again, welcome and hope you enjoy the answers!
Melinda

arina83

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »
Hi Josephine,

I went vegetarian 6 years ago since I was getting very sick after eating meat, poultry and fish. Still don't know why it was that I couldn't digest those foods, but eliminating them has helped. For me personally, going gluten free and the anti-inflammatory diet didn't help me.

Try my best to get plenty of whole grains, dairy, eggs, fresh and frozen produce and beans, and this seems to work fairly well for me. My feeling is that if what I'm eating is something that comes from an area of the world where people generally live long, healthy lives, then its a good option. I love Indian, Japanese and Mediterranean foods. When I cook, I make a lot, so I can freeze stuff to defrost at a later date. Huge help since most of the time I don't feel well enough to cook, and cooking Indian is a very intensive, day long process.

I also happen to be very fortunate that there's a lot of fresh, organic produce readily available here. Have a great farm market that's fairly close.

One idea for healthy drinks that taste good is to mix fruit juice with water. I'll fill a cup most of the way with water, with an inch or two left to add fruit juice, and that's what I drink most of the day. Really don't like the taste of straight water. Another idea is lemon juice with water or sparkling water. I also get ginger soda (tastes great with pizza and great for upset stomachs) as well as some natural soda's too. No artificial sweeteners, like Dr Pepper, and I have had some natural soda's that taste very similar.

jazzlover

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »
Nara .. coffee would be way better than consuming aspartame all day. It's like poison.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

Narablueeyes

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »
Nara .. coffee would be way better than consuming aspartame all day. It's like poison.

You're preaching to the choir, jazzlover.  :-)  But like I said, coffee really ain't my thing until winter and sometimes not even then.  I just cannot seem to beat this.  I can get down to one, maybe two cans a day but thats it.  Even if I taper down slowly, I always end up with headaches that, most of the time turn to migraines.  The longest I went w/o a drink and with headaches was three months.  I would really like to find a way to beat this.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »
aspartame gave me blinding migraines with just one sip.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Narablueeyes

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 05:08:28 PM »

That happens to a friend of mine. 

Surroundedbylove

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
I have had improvement following a largely anti-inflammatory diet (with specific guidance from a nutritionist) and also a low-gluten diet.

Regarding aspartame - research out of Baylor in Texas has shown that aspartame causes damage to the nerves where they fire at the muscles.  My Sjogren's symptoms at diagnosis included severe muscle weakness and it showed up in both an abnormal EMG and a muscle biopsy as damage where the nerves fired at the muscle.  I switched to regular soda (I know - not great but better than diet in this case) and the muscle weakness completely went away.  Apparently there is a point where it can be permanent though.

So, while sugar, etc. isn't great - that was my initial transition.  Eventually I switched to other things like iced tea, unsweetened but in the meantime I did better without the aspartame.

Luna

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »

Me too. I figured that out years ago.. Can't have any aspartame..

Luna

Luna

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 08:49:35 PM »
My Doctor didnt tell me of any specific diet. He just told me to make healthy choices. I did read about using the mediteranian Diet for SS.. I try to follow it. I do slip now and then. But thats ok. I have lost weight and found it helps my digestive problems.. Not much help with the joint and muscle pain.

Luna