Author Topic: What's cooking at your house?  (Read 43685 times)

Narablueeyes

Re: What's cooking at your house?
« Reply #180 on: December 25, 2011, 03:41:54 PM »
Well Murphy's law, everything went wrong this week. I've been flaring badly and couldn't move much. Due to some car trouble, I didn't get the groceries needed for the special Christmas Dinner I had planned, and I was really depressed about it! Last night, I got a good nights sleep, when I woke, found myself in brighter spirits and my fatigue lifted a good bit. I looked in the pantry and devised a plan to improvise and work with what foods we have on hand. But then, oh no!! Oven not working!!! I thought I might use the crock pot, but later had an idea to put a small fryer chicken in the bread machine and use the bake only setting, wonders never cease, it fit inside the bread machine perfectly. I'm adding some mashed potatoes and gravy to the menu, and there are plenty of frozen veggies in the freezer. When chicken is done, I will bake a cake and if my energy continues, some cinnamon raisin bread. We have Jello and frozen strawberries so that takes care of dessert. It will be a late evening meal, but we're night owls anyway and this works for us. Merry Christmas everyone! :D

Aww steph, it sounds like it's going to end up okay.  These bread makers arent just for bread anymore, are they!!  I'll have to remember that one.  Enjoy!!

Narablueeyes

« Reply #181 on: December 25, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
The pot roast was a hit.  The asparagus...not so much.  Got a red velvet cake made.  Those brownies are just elusive. 

Pisces24

« Reply #182 on: December 25, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »
Yaaay! Officially over the stomch flu.  I got it Tuesday and was wondering if I could have Christmas dinner. Well Tummy has taken it ok as it as been over 6 hrs and no side effects. LOL  8) I have never been so thankful to be able to eat something.

I had stuffed chicken, baked potatoes, baked beans, hot rolls and I made my own mini choc cream pie with graham crackers, choc pudding and canned whipped cream the kind that squirts. The kitty crew had chicken too. Santa was good to me today.  :)

Sylvia49

« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2011, 12:58:43 AM »
Carl and I went out to dinner.  I had the chicken and dumplings, he had the turkey dinner (I don't care for turkey).  Great dinner!

Now I get to make turkey noodle soup from the carcase of the bird I made yesterday - that's a favorite, and of course, turkey sandwitches.  Gonna be busy today, and actually feel up to it - yea! :)

;)

engy

« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »
I just made french onion soup. First time I've made it since going gluten free.  Warmed us all up.

I used GF stuffing cubes & Gruyere cheese.
Mmmmmmmmm.
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

Carebear

« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
We are still eating leftovers...ham, scalloped potatoes, and candied yams.  Yum.  :D
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Sylvia49

« Reply #186 on: December 28, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »
Made turkey noodle soup!  But the noodles kept slurping up the broth, so had to keep adding water.  Turned out great.  Made a big batch, so was able to share with neighbors and put some in the freezer for later. :)

;)

Chickpea

« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2012, 04:12:08 AM »
The 'children' - 30, 27 and 23 - plus friends and partners have been home over the holidays and they've done most of the cooking.  New Year's Eve they made a feast of Greek food:  moussaka, spanakopitta, tabbouleh, lemon potatoes, baked butter beans etc.  Whenever leftovers run out we make a batch of soup - I made a wonderful minestrone after Christmas - or a pasta dish.  Tuna pasta bake with leeks and cheese sauce is still a favourite.

How did you all manage to have enough bread, OJ, milk etc over the holidays?  However much we bought it was never enough.  Clementines too - the bowl is full and within minutes it's empty!

Happy new year to everyone - Chickpea

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »
A slice of bread, 3 cheese tomato sauce, Romona, co-jack, mozzarella 1 min in microwave and presto its a pizza for one. Other toppings if you want.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Sylvia49

« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
Sounds yummy, Joe! :)

;)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2012, 11:43:31 PM »
Here it is the middle of February in Central IL and we grilled out yesterday!!!  First time ever in February!!

Mmmmmm, food off the grill tastes sooooo good!!

We had marinated boneless porkchops . . . yum!

Hubby decided to do some "extra" food for his lunch this week - so, he grilled some burgers too.  (Like it will make it until Monday . . ha!)

Only a little over four weeks until Spring is officially here . . yay . . . can't wait!!

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »
Every year my husband and I gather dandelions for our "spring tonic" of wild greens.  We take a five-gallon bucket around the yard and dig them out with our pocket knives (Well, his pocket knife. I'm the one with the bionic eye!)  Then we come in the house and clean the mud off, then boil them in a tiny bit of lightly salted water like spinach and serve with a pat of butter.

It's been so mild here in East Tennessee lately that we had our tonic early! It was YUM!   :D

Our next wild food will be tiger lily buds in May and June. They taste like a cross between green beans and asparagus.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

meow

« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »
Summer picnic food...hamburgers grilled, with potato salad and fresh green beans.
Spring is officially here.
 I went downstairs at 5:30 am, and in the creeping dawn, I heard birds singing. We have birds year-round in El Paso, but they only sing in the mornings in the spring and summer.
Winter is over :)
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »
Yesterday, on the Dr. Oz show they had an interesting recipe for a cake.

Instead of adding eggs and oil to your cake mix, you ONLY add club soda.  I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds yummy.

Hungry Girl's Club Soda Chocolate Cake

1 box cake mix (I think you can use ANY flavor, they used chocolate)
1 (12 oz.) can Club Soda

Heat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 13 pan w/nonstick spray.  Combine the dry cake mix and club soda until smooth.  Pour into pan and bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.

Sounds so simple and reduces the fat in the cake. 

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »
Mmmmm . . . can you smell it??  I have a pot roast in the crock pot along with potatoes, carrots and onions.  It smells soooooo good!!  Hubby will be thrilled when he walks in the door from work and smells the wonderful aroma of this cooking.  Shortly before we eat, I'll have to put a pan of green beans on the stove as the boys won't eat carrots . . . sigh!  That's okay, more carrots for me!!   ;D

With the outdoor temperatures climbing this week into the high 90's, low 100's (UGH!!!), I don't like to heat up the oven and the house.  We have a grill, but it sits on the front porch (we don't have a deck or back patio  :'( ), and gets all the afternoon sun . . too hot to even grill outdoors.

So, I decided to just put everything into the crock pot and let it slowly cook for several hours and it doesn't heat up the house.  Yay!!

Now I bet you that my husband will say, "you know what would have made this meal really good?  Rolls!".  Tough beans, there are no rolls . . get over it!!  LOL

Looking back at some of the earlier recipes and comments in this thread, I had forgotten about the one I posted about the club soda cake - it still sounds good  ;), I'll have to try that! . . . but, not today.

What's cooking at YOUR house today?

Bucky