Author Topic: What's cooking at your house?  (Read 43375 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
What's cooking at your house?
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:21:25 PM »
Last year there was a thread - "What's for the evening meal at your house?" - that was interesting to read.

Many times, I feel like my family is eating the same 'ole thing over and over at our house.  I would love to get some ideas for quick, nutritious meals to fix for my family.

With our hot, hot summer - I didn't use our oven very much for cooking meals.  Now that cooler temperatures are here, I'm going to be using the oven more.   :)

I'm also looking forward to using the crock pot.

This past week I made a meatloaf for dinner one night along with baked potatoes and green beans.  We haven't had that in quite a long time.  It was really good, if I say so myself.   ;)  As leftovers for lunch the next day - it was just as yummy.

So, what's cooking at your house?

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: What's cooking at your house?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »
Tonight Jan made poached eggs and hash browns with minced garlic and onions.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carebear

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:01:07 PM »
Sweet and sour pork, stir fried broccoli, spring rolls, rice, and the last of the homemade apple pie.  ;D
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:00:14 PM »
Folks, here we go again. Joe just brought up something that I ate a lot when I was a kid. Those poached eggs are so good with hashbrowns. They are also wonderful with corned beef hash.

Tonight we had homemade spaghetti sauce with browned hamburger---I don't make the meatballs cause we like it better this way. Hubby has to have a gluten free spaghetti and me the regular stuff so that takes longer and more fuss.

I also made cauliflower with cheese sauce as we needed a vegetable, We are now on the downway trail cause hubby is having colonoscopy on Monday. So, no vegies or anything much with fiber.

I enjoy hearing what people are eating cause I, too, just totally lost my desire to cook this summer and am having a hard time getting back into the habit. Time to cook some squash with my pork loin chops tomorrow nighth. I also make baked potatoes in the oven. I scrub them well, pour olive oil and coarse gound pepper over them. Wow, this is the best!!! I eat my potatoe skins plus my hubbies. Irish

Anybody have good stir fry recipes??

Meld256

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »
I'll check my stir-fry recipes; they're here somewhere. 

Tonight was baked chicken, baked potato and green beans. 

Our pregnant daughter has changed from the girl who ate a cheeseburger or pizza everyday a few years ago into Mrs. Healthy Cook.  8)  She called as I was fixing our dinner and said she was making baked chicken, mashed potatoes and fresh green beans.  Gee, do ya think we think alike?  ;)

It's turned chilly tonight so think tomorrow is for making Baked Potato Soup.  The kind with some Velveeta in it, green onions and a bit of bacon crumbles on top.  Yummy...some french bread and a spinach salad and we're good to go!

smallfry

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 01:34:47 AM »

Boring meat and 3 veg here.

But my favorite winter recipe is Lamb shanks and gremolata with lemon couscous.
Meld your dinner sounds great, I would come to your house but its a bit too far.I also can't remember the last time we had meatloaf.
Cheryl

Meld256

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:25:55 AM »
smallfry,

I don't know what gremolata is.  :-[ The lamb sounds lovely.

Is it the potato soup you'd like some of? Sorry, guess it wouldn't ship too well, but I'd invite you if you were coming through town.  ;)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 06:52:02 AM »
I have a love - hate relationship with this topic. I love to hear about all the foods but I hate not being able to sample.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

lighthouse33

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 08:16:31 AM »
We are having a pizza created by a teenage boy who entered it into a contest and won.  Mind you, I'm not allowed to have pizza with my no fructose diet but one has to have some joy out of life.  It is the best pizza we've ever had and dad's favorite.  One of the things it has is the three different peppers cut up - red, green and yellow.
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »
We are having a pizza created by a teenage boy who entered it into a contest and won.

Yum, I love pizza!

Today at a garage sale I bought for a cookbook for $1:  The Diabetic Four Ingredient Cookbook.  This cookbook looks brand new.  My husband is diabetic and eats all the wrong kinds of food.  I'm hoping to find some good recipes in there that will be more healthful for him and our family.  I told him to look through the cookbook and flag things that sounded good to him and I would try and make them.  With four ingredients - doesn't sound like too much could go wrong with that!   ;)

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Pisces24

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
If I can find a whole chicken that is not too big (they are on sale here now), I buy one, stuff it.  I use all the leftovers from it for stuff that week: Like chicken & noodles, etc. I usually can finish it off.   I'd like to get beef more often but it has gotten expensive. If I do get it, I usually stretch it out with beef and noodles which I make great!

I've gotten a taste for baby carrots this year so have been buying and freezing them to use later. I "try" to get stuff on sale and freeze it for later but it doesn't always work expecially since there is just me.

Like your cookbook. They usually call for a bunch of ingredients you are only going to use once and they it sits in the cupboard for the year useless. The only seasonings I buy at the store are: salt, pepper, bay leaves, sage, onion and rarely cinnamin. Not adventurous I guess.

smallfry

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
Meld just Love potato soup.

The lamb shanks are really good they are done in red wine tomatoes garlic onions carrots potatoes rosemary and beef stock, The Gremolata on the top is made of flat parsley garlic capers and lemon zest. Its very tasty and its a weight watchers recipe.

No your right it wouldn't travel well :( you never know one day i might get over to your side of the world.
Cheryl

Patze

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 06:18:06 AM »
Oh my, your meals sound so good!!!!  Anyone want to adopt me? ;) :D  Alas, last night, no din-din, just don't feel like making anything and not hungry.

And Bucky, I've seen that cookbook and let us know how it works out for the hubby.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Narablueeyes

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 06:46:47 AM »
I started using www dot all recipes cot com.  I was in a HORRIBLE rut.  This site has tons of easy stuff as well as Gluten free recipes.  I can use the menu planner to plan for the week and it also makes a shopping let for me.  Ive made chicken chili, Stuffed cabbage rolls, this AWESOME salad called That Addicting Salad, And these AWESOME Chicken puffs.  Easy peasy recipes and it's all planned out for me. 

lighthouse33

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 08:40:57 AM »
I didn't know whether this is allowed, if it's not the mods can delete it.

PPP (3 PEPPERS AND PEPPERONI) PIZZA

One 12" prebaked pizza crust
1/2 cup Italian-flavored tomato sauce
2 cups sliced pepperoni
2 1/2 cups shredded, mozzarella, divided
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place pizza crust on pan. Spread tomato sauce evenly over crust.
3. Arrange pepperoni slices over sauce. Top with 1 1/4 cups of the mozzarella.  Arrange sliced peppers over cheese. Top with remaining 1 1/4 cups mozzarella.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.  Makes 4 to 6 servings.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:42:39 AM by lighthouse33 »
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products