Author Topic: Sjogrens treatment side effects  (Read 30964 times)

soycoffee

Re: Sjogrens treatment side effects
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »
Hi Gursie, sorry no go.

Putting B12 into your bloodstream without the ability to bind or transport it into your cells would not only not benefit you, a recent study from Norway shows it could cause you a great deal of harm.

Here is the study.  http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/302/19/2119.abstract?etoc

The study was a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial in which nearly 7,000 adults took just the amount of folic acid and B12 you would find in maybe a bowl of fortified cereal and a multivitamin. This type of study is considered the "gold standard" of research designs. The study participants were followed for a median of six and a half years (39 months of active study participation plus 38 months of post-study observation).

The study showed those who took these vitamins had:

21% higher risk of being diagnosed with cancer (any type)
38% higher risk of dying of cancer (any type)
18% higher risk of dying of any cause

Since B12 is only one component of autoimmune disease, it would be best (in my opinion) to simply address the problem at it's source.

This is the so-called Norbit study, I believe. I have reviewed it, and find that the statistical analysis is riddled with Type 1 errors -- finding results significant when they are not.

The government of Norway funded the study. They have a dog in the game -- they do not mandate that cereal be fortified with folate. If the study shows (it didn't) that folate "caused cancer" (again, it didn't), then the government would not have evidence to show the United Nations why it should not join other countries in mandating the addition of folate to the grains that are exported, for the manufacture of cereals.

There are many many many studies that find the reverse of the Norbit study, and endorse the addition of folate to grains used in bread and cereal.

One of the positive effects of Vitamin B-12 is found even in the Norbit study: that it lowers homocysteine, a substance that is highly correlated (r=~.9%, in one study) with each of the components of cholesterol. Normal range of homocysteine is no higher than 11, with a value of 7 the desired level. My intake of methyl B-12 has lowered my homocysteine from a value in the 20s, to 8, at the last measurement.

For more about homocysteine that synthesizes a number of studies, rather than quoting the headline-grabbers out of context, can be found at the following URL:  http://www.lef.org/protocols/heart_circulatory/homocysteine_reduction_01.htm

Please move this to any B-12 thread that gets established.

Thank you,
Soycoffee