Author Topic: Absolute eosinophils?  (Read 6459 times)

mshistory

Absolute eosinophils?
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
I just got a copy of my last blood work, and my absolute eosinophils are at a 0 (with the range being 15 - 500 cell/uL). Does anyone know what would cause this? I still can't get in touch with my rheumy...it's so frustrating.
TIA!
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Patty

Re: Absolute eosinophils?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:25:19 PM »
Mine have been 0 for a long time. If I remember right (ha ha - now that is the question - do I remember correctly?!) it is from medication, but you might want to ask your doctor to be sure.
Sjogren's, Vasculitis,  IC, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Raynauds, Peripheral Neuropathy

mshistory

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »
Thank you, Patty! Do you think it's the Plaquenil? I will ask in a few weeks when I see a dr. but when I saw that it just concerned me a bit!
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Iris

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »
I don't know anything about it but I found this..

Abnormal Eosinophil Levels

Eosinophelia is the term used to describe abnormally high absolute eosinophil levels. Intestinal parasitic infections, such as those caused by roundworms or tapeworms, certain types of leukemia, autoimmune conditions, such as lupus, allergies, and asthma are conditions associated with high absolute eosinophil levels. According to the National Institutes of Health, medications such as amphetamines, laxatives containing psyllium, certain antibiotics, interferon, and tranquilizers can cause eosinophelia.

They also claim that lower than normal absolute eosinophil levels may result from alcohol intoxication and the presence of too much cortisol (a hormone produced by the adrenal glands) in the body.
Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia, essential tremor, RLS, degenerative disc disease, heart disease -
Lisinopril, Pantoprazole, Ranitidine, Plavix, Diltiazem, Simvastatin, Linzess, Aspirin, pain meds, serum tears, fish oil

mshistory

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:31:38 AM »
Thanks, Iris  :) My concern is that it is being caused by elevated cortisol levels...I'm on a high dose of spironalctone, and don't want to have to quit taking it :(

Patty

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:35:20 AM »
That's right. Now I remember mine are 0 because of the prednisone but no one seems concerned about it. When you find out more, let us know, I'm curious.
Sjogren's, Vasculitis,  IC, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Raynauds, Peripheral Neuropathy