Author Topic: what to do for constipation when fleet suppositories dont work?  (Read 18542 times)

valene2009

what to do for constipation when fleet suppositories dont work?
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »
I need to know what to take for constipation... I tried a fleet suppository-it did nothing!!  Can i take another one or what should I try?  I also have been using stool softenors at night

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
Re: what to do for constipation when fleet suppositories dont work?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »
Reflexology

A friend of mine took me to the hospital to help a friend of his. The man had been in the hospital for two weeks after an auto accident with constipation. 5 min of massage over the descending colon and he was paging the nurse. I he had not had the bowl movement that night, he would have been in surgery by morning. The hospital tried everything they had before I got there.

Try hand or foot reflexology.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

valene2009

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »
where do i massage? thanks for sharing your story

mshistory

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »
Have you tried MiraLax? It's pretty gentle (doesn't cause the cramping some laxatives can) and the only thing that worked for me when I was severely constipated with my second pregnancy (I should have told my OB I had the same problem with my first because after my c-section I ended up with an ileus and bowel impaction - that was the most painful experience that lasted for over a week!)
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

valene2009

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
i have in the past-once and it didnt work but maybe if i took more than 1 dose? I am calling my doc tomorrow.. thanks..

Sooki

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
I find that prune juice is tried and true.  I drink 1-2 cups in the morning of choice; you might want to start smaller.  (Don't try to buy a generic brand - go for named brands- they're slightly better tasting!)   Many of the other laxatives require moisture absorption (like MiraLax).  They sometimes make things worse for me.  Even fibers like psyllium make things worse.  But good old prune juice is the best I've found.
65 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:46:06 PM »
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Calli66

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »
Magnesium glycinate 400-600 mg a day keeps me going. Mag citrate might work faster for now but the mag glycinate will keep the cellular levels steadier. Mag, Mag, Mag....

C

irish

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
The problem with constipation is that it is caused by a number of different things that can pretty much occur at the same time.

First of all people need to remember to stay hydrated. Drinking water is very important along with other fluids.

Exercise is also very important. Even just a simple thing like walking around the house will help to stimulate the colon.

People who take iron tabs will get constipated (unless they get diarrhea which affects some people) and most of the other medications will affect us in some way bowel wise.

We also need to eat a lot of roughage to help keep our bowels moving. The roughage irritates the nerve endings in the colon wall and help keeps things moving along.

The one thing that is often necessary is stimulation of the bowel. Many people can take the stool softenors but they do nothing but make the stool soft and having a bowel movement is nigh onto impossible as there isn't that much urge.

As other said the prune juice morning and night, hot water helps some people as does hot coffee in the morning. Another thing that is often necessary is a laxative to stimulate the colon to expel the stool. Often Milk of Magnesia is just the thing. When I was working as a nurse we used the liquid Magnesia at night. Drinking a cup of hot tea after the magnesia might help move things along even more. I am not prescribing, I am just reminding folks that stool softenors themselves don't always work without stimulation of the bowel.

When we have diabetes and other neuropathies or even just the process of aging (I hate that little statement :o :o) will slow things down. Another reminder is that Metamucil works for some people but you need to drink plenty of fluids with it. If you take Metamucil or other generic fiber without plenty of fluids you can end up with the fiber almost "setting up" in your colon and very hard to move along. Good luck. Irish ;D

valene2009

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
thanks everyone.. my rheumy nurse called back and said sjogrens doesnt cause constipation..i dont agree-but whatever!  they told me to call my general practioner which i did..  they told me to try miralax 3x a day--i have tried it in the past but just once... i may try that, and def buy some prune juice and maybe milk of magnesia.. thanks for all your help!

ohiolady

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »
Val,

When I have really bad constipation.  I try all of the suggestions given to you in one day.  Take the prune juice, magnesium and if you can handle fiber and then add the Miralax as well.  Sometimes, it takes an arsenal.  I have gastroparesis and this is a constant battle.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

valene2009

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
thanks Anna!  i already take the 400mg of magneisum but may buy some milkof magnesia anyway..off to the store.. to get my arsenal!! lol... u made me laugh at least..

waterbby100

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
My Rheumy disagrees and thinks that people with Sjs are more prone to constipation due to the lack of fluids and says that we should limit grain roughage because it needs a lot of fluid to move it through. Veggie roughage is supposed to be good because it is already wet.

One thing that works for me is Traditional Medicines Smooth Move Tea. Sometimes I will have a bm immediately and sometimes it will take over night but it always works and it tastes good, at least to me. There is another by Yogi Tea which is pretty good too!

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
   Valene, dont just take the prune juice, eat the actual prunes too,

Get the prunes in natural juice, and eat as many as you can, it works a treat for me.

Doctor just given my husband Senna today, will see how he does on that.
      He would not eat prunes as    "I dont like them" he says      big softee!
                                  good Luck, Dolly

aussie mum

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 04:15:23 PM »
Please don't forget to drink plenty of fluids.
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Fish Oil, Vit D.