Author Topic: If I swallowed something into my lung... (advise pls)  (Read 6064 times)

4Kids

If I swallowed something into my lung... (advise pls)
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »
I was talking with a friend while sucking on a SalivaSure lozenge.

it went right to the back of my throat and wouldn't come out. It swallowed down with no coughing or choking. I am NOT coughing or choking now. It does feel stuck halfway down. I ate a cracker and drank a glass of water and it feels sore. I have a new med causing terrible acid reflux, so my esophagus (sp?) is sore in general.

So if I did indeed inhale it and had it go to my lungs, I would be coughing and choking right? Any need to get a chest xray to be sure? It was the size of a small pea to a medium sized pea. Silly to ask, but I don't want pneumonia.

Thanks in advance.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

My blog: http://thenot-so-supermum.blogspot.ca

Meld256

• Global Moderator
Re: If I swallowed something into my lung... (advise pls)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 12:38:26 PM »
I do believe I would not panic, but I personally would advise you call your doctor immediately.

I'm not a medical pro. but I know we can have lung issues, and if we swallow something that is sucked into a lung, it is called aspiration. This can be a dangerous situation for anyone with any health issues,  and certainly can set up an infection.   If the lozenge still feels stuck, hopefully it's still in your throat.

You might not necessarily be coughing and choking.  Please call the doc and see if they advise you to come in right away or what they suggest.
57, female, Sjogren's dx 09/2010, Fibromyalgia and CFS dx 04/2009, meds: Savella, trazodone, Relafen, Plaquenil, Restasis, FreshKote eye drops, Bepreve drops, Optive Refresh, Biotene OTC products, retired/SS 12/2010

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »
Hi 4kids,
 If it is stuck in your throat, maybe drinking something warm like hot tea might melt it.
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

eyeamdry

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:37:40 PM »
Right now it sounds like you are guessing it's inhaled into your lung.  Right?  I wasn't sure from your post.  I just had similar happen to me.

I went to a graduation party and took a small bite of a raw carrot and swallowed.  I have trouble swallowing carrots because they are so dry and gritty.  Right away I knew something was wrong. I couldn't drink anything, or eat a dry piece of bread, nothing changed this.  I kept coughing. Within an hour or so I was wheezing.

We were away from home and I wasn't crazy about going to a hospital, but the wheezing got worse.  We decided to go to ER and by then it was like an elephant on my chest.  They had to call in their "pulmonary team and his assistants" because it was on a weekend.  I had a tiny piece of carrot in my lung and they went in with their devices and got it out in just a few minutes. No surgery.  I was fine, but would have gotten pneumonia soon.  This piece of carot was so small I couldn't believe it.  Just like a piece of shredded carrot.  You probably should go to ER if this hasn't settled down VERY SOON.  You can't tell just by guessing if it's in the lung or not.  Lucy

4Kids

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »
actually and maybe hoping  only I don't think I did since I did not cough or choke or sputter. I swallowed after it fkew to the back and it went down. There is a small pain in my back now and there was under my breast a bit but I may be imagining.

My hobby is home at 345. I will make an apt as soon as the office picks up calls and just go see in vase because of the weird stuck feeling. Better safe than sorry.

Eyeamdry I remembered the carrot. At the lake I did the same thing and it took like 25 mins of coughing but it came out. My mom always teased me I would die choking. I think if I did, I would be. Oughing etc but to be sure I will get checked out.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 03:56:55 PM »
Dear  4Kids:

I think if you had inhaled it into your trachea you would be coughing uncontrollably and already have gone to the ER.

Which leads me to think that it's stuck in your throat, which is uncomfortable but probably not too bad.

It is designed to dissolve, and a warm drink might help.

BTW, IF you inhale something into your breathing system, do not EAT anything, cause surgery would be in order to clear it from your airway, and food isn't a good idea before surgery.

:-)

Hope everything is coming up roses by now.

Hey, isn't it the KIDS who are supposed to inhale and swallow strange things?

Hugs

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

4Kids

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:20:58 PM »
Ended up too tired to go. I am not coughing and could eat and drink... I am fine!

eyeamdry

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »
With me and the carrot, it kept getting worse and I had no choice.  You sound like you're in good shape. Whew.