Author Topic: Your go to Craft Ideas & Mindfulness  (Read 3743 times)

paperdoll

Your go to Craft Ideas & Mindfulness
« on: September 06, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
Hi there  ;D

I was wondering if you all decide to do crafts to get back to yourselves as a meditative thing?

Knitting can make my hands hurt too much sometimes... but I really would like to do some "short term" crafts... something to do in a 2 hour sitting. Do you have any or do your kids or grand kids ever done something that you thought "I would like to do that!".

I have a bunch of old magazines in which I was thinking of just collage with "happy themes".   :D Just for myself nothing to gift. Maybe I could Modge Podge some storage boxes?

However I would love to *gift* nicer crafts... any ideas?

Thanks,
Dolly

Katybarstool

Re: Your go to Craft Ideas & Mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »
Dolly, that sounds a good idea - very therapeutic. My fine coordination is not very good, so I'm clumsy when it comes to doing anything detailed, however, I find it really relaxing to crayon in colouring books with my grandchildren - not very mature, but I like it :)

Kathyx

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
Hi  :)

Thanks to another member in here who posted examples of her work - I got into scrapbooking. I made a family history scrapbook to give to my grandson when I went to visit him in America - because   he will hardly ever see his family here in the UK - and his Dad didn't know a lot anyway. Obviously the baby won't look at it for years but his parents really liked it!

Now I'm making a scrapbook of my grandson's first year. i'm theming the pages to go with the months. I enjoy collecting what I need for it - making my own embellishments - choosing photos and planning the pages. I can do as much or as little as I want cos there are no deadlines.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:43:45 AM »
I would love to have something new to do. I can't play the guitar anymore because the thing is too heavy to hold. I used to be in a three-person group singing in a restaurant on Monday nights, but I don't have the energy to go anywhere after work. Needlework is too tedius, reading takes too much brainpower, my house is too small to let me do any scrapbooking without having to clean it all up afterward -- to exhausting. All I do is lie on the couch and watch M*A*S*H reruns.

I'm boring myself to tears. No wonder I'm depressed.

I'd love to hear some new ideas!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:11:34 AM »
Hi A66eyroad  :)

I gave up on housework many years ago. I'd rather keep my mind busy than worry about what my house looks like! :) If I'm looking at the scrapbook - or my computer screen everything else is behind me anyway!!

Actually - if you are worried about the mess there are some really good free digital scrapbooking sites. I made a couple of 'digital' scrapbooks before ever trying the real thing.

Take care - Scottie  :)

http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Meld256

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 05:24:17 AM »
Paperdoll,

I hope that you can find some ideas for crafts that you like.  We all have our own interests.  Scrapbooking, like Scottie says, can be something one can do when you feel like it. 

Same with me and sewing.  I began quilting last winter and really enjoy it.  Mostly machine-quilting, but I can sew as long as my back, arms and "sewing foot" hang in there. Putting my right foot on the pedal will make it stiff/hurt but I can quit when that happens and go back to it.  I can sew and put my aches in the back of my mind for a while;  and making a few items for family makes me feel productive. 

There's a website I like called "saveoncrafts" that has some other ideas.  It has an unbelievable selection. Many things are for events; I loved it since I found all the silk flowers for our daughter's wedding there, but they have other things, too, that might give you an idea or two.  ;)

Another thought:  I made cookie jar mixes last fall.  There are some great recipes online.  These are made with a quart jar for canning (or smaller if you like).  Usually the jars are on sale now at the end of summer!  You just layer the ingrediants and attach a tag with the instructions.  I made some for Christmas with a piece of fabric on top with a ribbon/small ornament on it.  It was easy, they were pretty, and everyone thought I was so "crafty."   :D  And the cookies were really good! 

Just some thoughts I hope may be helpful.  I like your collage ideas.  Maybe you can build on that, too.
Take care,
Melinda

engy

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »
I make fleece, no-sew blankets. I get fleece from Jo-Anns when they have good sales & looked up online how to do it. My whole family loves them & I make lap size or bed size.

A66yroad, I LOVE MASH!

Carie
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

A66eyroad

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 05:37:53 AM »
engy, those blankets sound awesome! Do you have a link to the instructions? That sounds like just the ticket for me!

P.S. -- MASH is great to watch because the doctors are so kind and compassionate, and they make buffoons out of those who treat the patients with anything less than dignity. That appeals to me!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.

Pisces24

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
I want to do a bigger project but am starting off smaller.

Have you ever thought of  painting on faux glass.  There are kits for just the suncatchers.  For about $7-8 I got a 9" round faux glass with a hummingbird/flowers design and a small paint kit for it. The bigger bottles of paint were on $1.25. I got them at a place called Hobby Lobby but I am sure there are other places. The areas to paint are a lot bigger than those paint by number kits too.

I think that is the easiest "craft type" project for me to do with cats. Knitting - they'd get the yarn, quilting - holding down the material,  paperwork you have to sit so there is a lap available. Heck even on the computer I have one that parks himself right in front of it. LOL   ;) ::)

Oh, we have a lady that makes those fleece throws but smaller for pets. She does it as a hobby and gives it to our animal charity to sell. Another makes Dog bandannas. Another makes homemade cat & dog treats.

engy

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
A friend of mine taught me how to make the fleece blankets but I'll look for a link or write directions for you.

We usually donate a few to the Children's Hospital each year as well as make them for gifts.

I want to make one to leave in my car still & the men love the NFL ones!

I made a cover for my great dane's bed, she loves it in the winter!

I'm addicted but only buy the fleece twice a year, black friday & the spring sale & I'm out for now  :(

Carie
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

paperdoll

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »
My goodness!

What great ideas!
Fleece lap blankets, cookies in a jar, scrap-booking, machine quilts, glass decorating, crayoning in coloring books
(this would be good for decorating greeting cards or placemats for those "aid food delivery: services)
  ;D

Abbeyroad - you and I need some little hobby ;)

These all look doable and encouraging.  I'm wondering if their are any good crafty sales going on around this time of year...
will have to look up some craft sites!  hobby lobby, etc

Those fleece ideas seem interesting I must say...

There are those community sites that you can post things you want to get - but I worry I'd flake on picking the things up LOL ah sjogren's hee hee ;)

rosie

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 06:33:02 PM »
I have sooo many ideas paperdoll!I didn't get into crafting til I had my hysterectomy on 1998 the year before last I had this crazy idea to make everyone a christmas wreat!!!!!! Full size!!!Each one a different theme!Everyone loved them. You could make centerpieces, candleskirts.Or copy a favorite photo of you and that person decorate the frame!I did that for my daughter when I lived in Michigan I made a snow angel for her, took a pic of it when I went to come inside I LOCKED MYSELF. out of the house. I can laugh about it now ;Dbut not then.I had to break a window just to get inside my own home!At that time the nearest neighbor was six city houses away.placemats make great gifts also.

newhorizons

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 07:58:22 PM »
All your inspiring posts has gotten me in the notion of again using my sewing machine. 

Purchased me one of the sewing machines that does even quilting and monogramming.
You know how it goes, right after you get something new you 'burn the midnight oil' learning the 'how to.' I attended 12 sessions on how to use the machine and was given a simple manual I could understand, you know, with illustrations! ;)

Close friend and I quilted a topper quilt for my day bed and then I made the matching shams. If I must say they are still a pride and joy to me! :D 

These bed items were made during the 5 years I spent getting my life in order in my little cabin by the creek's side here on the farm. To come from low vision impairment from Sjogren's mishandling of chronic dry eyes for years by having my epithiliums peeled and allowing new ones to grow, opened new horizons again for me to experience. John Hopkins diagnosed me with Sjogren's and I waited 5 yrs until the FDA approved the research for one's eyes to be peeled.

Young grandson and I programmed the sewing machine one day to monogram Felix the Cat on the front of his sweatshirt. Thinking all was in good order, he and my five kittens went for a walk to the mailbox BTW the creek path.  Upon returning he ran ahead a up the steps into the cabin.

He 'hollered' out the door and said, "Mamaw, looks like Felix has parachuted down sideways on my shirt.   LAUGHED AND LAUGHED... and, this kid loved to wear his shirt to kindergarten and show off our work. It didn't matter Felix landed on his backside!!! ;D

Just one more idea about fleece; sew a pocket on one end it with a button hole and button and it makes a wonderful bed companion on cold nights. Keep nightime items in close reach in scarf pocket.

In fact, this polartec is the type of material our Joe here on site and I wear around our heads at night to keep the parotid glands warm...ears, too!!! ???

It's bedtime, thanks for letting me reminisce a little... The sabbatical years I spent at my beloved Doghouse cabin is a very important key to my accepting Sjogren's for just what it is... a chronic illness... and, moving forward in life...one day at a time.

newhorizons

Meld256

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 04:37:21 AM »
This is a great thread!  (pun intended)  ;D :D

newhorizons, you have the kind of sewing machine I'd like, but I think it would take me forever to learn to use.  I may "graduate" to it eventually, but for now I have my simple one.

Such a cute story about your grandson and the Felix the Cat sweatshirt you embroidered for him. He will always remember that you cared to make him a special shirt just for him.

Great idea about the pocket on the fleece.  The polartec fleece is really nice.  I bought a winter jacket made from it last year and it is so light-weight and warm! Don't think I will ever own a big heavy coat again.

You are all helping me with lots of ideas for my fall and winter sewing and crafting.   :) I need to get supplies for the cookie jars soon.  I gave those at Christmas with an instruction tag and attached cookie cutter; people really liked them.   I've not sewn with fleece, but that will be my next project. 
Happy crafting! 

A66eyroad

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 06:36:46 AM »
To honor the memory of my father, each year I make a donation to a charity - usually St. Jude's Children's Hospital in Memphis - at Christmastime. I use the money I would have spent if I were buying him a gift. But I recently read about a simple way of making a sleeping bag for a homeless person on this website, and this year I've decided to use up some old fabric and make a couple of "ugly quilts" for the homeless.

http://www.reese.org/sharon/uglyqult.htm
Female, 61