Author Topic: Sjogrens and diabetes  (Read 2146 times)

JudyCoppernob

Sjogrens and diabetes
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »
Can Sjogren's be associated with or even provoke diabetes?  I'm just beginning to wonder if I might have diabetes or perhaps pre-diabetes and wonder about a possible link.

Thanks!

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sjogrens and diabetes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Hi  :)

Diabetes is also an autoimmune disease - well Type 1 is anyway. Too often people with one AI disease end up with others also. As far as I know Sjogren's does not cause diabetes however. If you are worried about it - do get a test. It's easier to test for than SjS!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:40:33 PM »
R lipoic acid has been shown to aid in reversing diabetes. Walnuts have also been shown to help reverse diabetes.
Insulin Resistance is an imbalance between Omega-3 and Omega-6 in your body (too much Omega 6). It can be caused by problems with your liver. You can research this yourself since the key words are here.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Bella

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »
Hi Judy,

I don't know if there is a link between Type 2 and SJS, but, as Scottie says, it's easy enough to test yourself if you're concerned about diabetes or prediabetes.  I've found the website Bloodsugar101 to be an excellent source of information.

I bought a meter ($9.00 at Walmart, if you're in the US; more importantly, they have the cheapest strips I could find) and started testing myself and that's how I discovered my diabetes.  I also run my own A1C tests -  also $9.00 at Walmart, and I've double checked against my lab values several times, so I believe them to be accurate.

There is something called Late Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults -- this is like a late onset Type 1 autoimmune diabetes, which can mask itself as a Type 2 for quite a while.  Although it's considered to be more rare, I have tested myself for these antibodies, because, as Scottie said, the AI diseases tend to run in packs.  So I suppose there could be an association between SJS and LADA for this reason?

Skylar

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »
Type 1 is autoimmune - and most common in children but in rare occasions can occur in adults.

Type 2 is related to diet - if you can change your food and lifestyle you can put Type 2 into complete remission - but you have to be committed to a complete change in diet or else you will need medication. Dr. Neal Barnard has received NIH grants to study the use of diet on Type 2 diabetes and has written a book about the treatment called Program for Reversing Diabetes (2007). I was borderline - PCP wanted to start treating me for Type 2 but I went on Dr. John McDougall's diet and along with losing weight, I went back to a healthy A1C. His diet is similar to Dr. Barnards. I have to tell you I was so thankful I found his diet because I was sick enough with everything else going on that I didn't need diabetes on top of it all. I feel sorry for those who do have this disease.

If you think you have it, you should discuss it with your PCP.

eyeamdry

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
My daughter developed Type I diabetes at 27 y/o.  This was before my SJS diagnosis.  Little did we know what was starting. 

Many people (not necessarily on this board) do not know the difference between Type I or type 2 diabetes.  Type I diabetes cannot be reversed with diet, exercise or anything else.  You are insulin dependent--period.  My daughter has an insulin pump which is a great thing.  Although she was 27 at onset, she was not overweight, inactive etc etc.  That would be me, a sitting duck for type 2 but I don't have it.  I am not looking for it either.  Type I is a terribly nasty disease usually attacking young children and they have a life of insulin shots, testing etc. 

It is also up to some goofey movie star types to say they have reversed Type I diabetes. Hallie Barry has said she reversed her Type I.  That is just bad info and followers will believe this and possible cause harm to themselves.  Mary Tyler Moore has been spokesperson for Juvenile Diabetes for years and she has it.  Rocker Bret Michaels also has Type i.  Many with Type 2 can be helped with meds, exercise, weight loss etc.  Lucy

irish

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:13:42 PM »
There really isn't a "prediabetes". You either have it or you don't. The AIC will be elevated. Normally they want a person to have a AIC below 7.0---preferably lower.

AIC is also known as gylcosated hemoglobin. The high blood sugar molecules attach to the red blood cells and are not shed very rapidly. The test can give a number that will indicated whether your blood sugar was elevated over the past 3 months.

This is a wonderful test as it gives a good number that docs can go by in your treatment. Also, people can't lie to the doc anymore cause the AIC tells like it is.

I have had very low AIC's after losing 25 pounds. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I knew that I had it and the docs didn't believe me. Finally ended up in the hospital and that is where they found that it was 7.3. I was put on Metformin which is a very good drug. Some people can't take it and it does cause a transient nausea that can be the pits sometimes. I have to make sure that I eat right after I take my pill.

I cut out the pop and really ate healthy and very small portions and the weight just fell off. My AIC the next time was 5.8, next one was 5.9 and the last one was 6.0. I have been eating more than I did and I will be finding out this fall just what my AIC is doing. I am sure I will have to get more control back in my life again.

The one thing that is so great these days is that for the people on Medicare we are required to go to diabetes classes held at the hospital. It is a total of 8 hours and they go over so many things that make life easier. How to figure carbs, deal with different foods, exercise. You name it they talk about it. Lots of questions from the audience also.

I am also required to see a doctor every 6 months about my diabetes and have AIC, cholesterol blood work plus have my blood pressure checked and my feet inspected. This is a very good deal as they can prevent or cut off at the pass any problems that might arise and get out of hand before the patient themself decides they need to be seen.

Hope you are getting info that can help you out. Irish ;D

katyjo

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »
I had a fasting glucose around 100.  My md said to lose weight with slimfast and high fiber cereal.  The rheumatologist said that placquinel would lower my sugar.  I usually eat healthy but I really got serious and I started walking on the treadmill for only one mile after a meal.  My fasting glucose went down to the low 80s.  I didn't lose weight, still 155. 

H2Ocolor

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 05:24:12 PM »
My glucose keeps going up with each blood test (around 96) then the last A1C was 5.8 and is considered pre-diabetic.  The docs are looking for a reason for my neuraphy other than sjs because of low inflammation.  I am not overweight and I exercise almost daily.  The problem I seem to have with sugar, is a cookie or piece of cake with dinner and I can't sleep.  It will keep me awake till 3 a.m. and boy am I tired the next day.  But I do like a cookie once in a while.  I am trying to lose 10 pounds to see if that helps.  Thin is in, isn't it?  Sure would be nice to not have to worry about all this stuff.  Take care, H2Ocolor

Nat

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:37 PM »
There is an association to other autoimmune diseases and diabetes. Here is some information I compiled.

An article in Arthritis Today states, ?New research shows that people with diabetes are nearly twice as likely to have arthritis, indicating a diabetes-arthritis connection,? (Mann, 2011). In addition, a new epidemiological study from Denmark demonstrates that people with type 1 diabetes are three times more likely to develop multiple sclerosis than people without diabetes (Nielsen, 2006). Researchers from the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center in Memphis have identified a link between hypothyroidism and type 1 diabetes. In the study, 41% of the female diabetic patients developed hypothyroidism (Muralidhara Krishna, 2011). An Israeli study titled, ?Fibromyalgia in diabetes mellitus,? concluded, ?Fibromyalgia is a common finding in patients with types 1 and 2 diabetes."