Author Topic: Burning & Dryness in nose  (Read 8041 times)

namakb

Burning & Dryness in nose
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »
Burning & dryness in the nose seems to be worse for me than my eyes and mouth. I think I have been going through a flare for the past

week or so. What seems to help the most with the burning & dryness is when I eat or chew gum. I think it must get the digestive juices

flowing. Unfortionately if I were to keep eating I would get as big as a house so I chew gum or will have a popsicle.

What do most of you do for the burning in the nose? I do use ocean spray. I have not tried any of the gel products because I so get

stuffiness also and wonder if that would contribute to the stuffiness. I do run a humidifier in my room at about 55%. I think the weather

here in Chicago effects me also. I do better with cool humid weather. Do not do well with the heat of the sun.

season

Re: Burning & Dryness in nose
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:06:22 AM »
I have this too and it is very uncomfortable and annoying not to mention painful.

I use a bit of vaseline mixed with mineral oil and it is very soothing inside the nose. There is also a product that you can ask for at the drug store called "Nose Better." This is wonderful for the nose. If you can't find it ask your drug store to order it for you.
female 58

primary Sjogrens, hypertension, aching joints, numbness and tingling in legs, dry eyes, nose, mouth; trigemenal neuralgia; irregular heartbeat, gastritis, diverticulosis, hi-hernia

meds: baby asprin, lorazepam as needed,  fish oil, Diovan for BP, Plaquenil, Salagen, Prevecid,

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
Neosporin works well for me.
Female, 59
SJS, flu-like symptoms, mouth ulcers, high cholesterol, headache, earache, dizziness,  hangover-like nausea.
Plaquenil, Aleve, Evoxac, Mary's Magic Mouthwash, 50,000 IU of Vitamin D each week.

Never trust an atom. They make up everything.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:20:32 AM »
namakb, it becomes more interesting when it starts to bleed with out warning.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

namakb

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »
I hope I do not get that dry Joe. Do not have any crusting just the dryness & burning.
Season, does Nose Better have any aroma to it. I have a hard time with frangrances.
Did not think you could use Neosporin in your nose.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »
Well, I probably do a lot of things I'm not supposed to do...    8)
Female, 59
SJS, flu-like symptoms, mouth ulcers, high cholesterol, headache, earache, dizziness,  hangover-like nausea.
Plaquenil, Aleve, Evoxac, Mary's Magic Mouthwash, 50,000 IU of Vitamin D each week.

Never trust an atom. They make up everything.

Aquarius

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:31:31 AM »
I produce virtually no nasal mucous or post nasal drip.  ENT said I was very very very dry.  It feels as if the nasal tissue is dead.   

People who complain about excessive post nasal drip - wish that were my problem as it is very uncomfortable, to the point of being debilitating to be so dry in the nasal area. 

It has definitely adversely affected my digestive tract.   Normal mucuous that we produce at the back of our nose and swallow travelling down the digestive tract has important healing components and provides an intestinal coating.  Definitely not good to be without it.

Please do not put oils in your nose.  Oils can produce lipid pneumonia. No one here needs another problem.

I have tried a variety of nasal products, one of the best for me is Xclear (pronounced "clear") and the nasal gels such as Neilmed.  However Neilmed products have a chemical preservative whereas Xclear does not.   

You can buy Xclear on Amazon on at Whole Foods.  Neilmed is sold at most pharmacies, probably Amazon too. 

namakb

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »
I do have some Xclear that I bought a while ago. I will try that again. I also bought NeilMed NasoGel Drip free Gel Spray. I have not tried it yet. Is the gel spay OK?

namakb

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »
Tried the Xclear, that burns.

Aquarius

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 02:40:44 PM »
My GP recommended the NeilMed saline gel with Aloe.  However it does contain the perservative that start with a "B".  There are varying opinions whether the perservative is safe for long term use. 

It's discussed on the emptynosesyndrome.org website (I've not had nasal surgery but have learned good information about dry nose from that site).   

When I first started using nasal products, I called the Xclear number and was told that the application may burn at first but should abate after a few uses. 

Some people on this site use "Pretz" spray.

mebog

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
Try AYR gel, I think it is wonderful.

meg

Luna

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 02:54:04 PM »
I get this also. I  make teas just to sniff the steam.. I used saline solution and it burns. Just started using a saline nasal gel with aloe called Ayr. It works. I have even been known to sleep with a damp cloth over my face.

The nose bleeds are awful. I remember my first one. Freaked me out. No warning. Came out of no where. I thought it would never stop. I didn't know I had sjogrens yet. I had no idea why this was happening to me.

Luna
Definatly have Sjogrens, everything else keeps changing.
 plaquenil, prilosec,dyflusinal, baclofen and tramadol as needed..

season

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 10:41:38 PM »
"Nose Better" has a hint of menthol which for me helps me to breathe better.

My doctor and my rheumy both suggested the mixture that I stated earlier as my nose is very very dry and yes they also told me to use neosporin as it helps too. Sometimes the dryness is so painful, I would put pee in my nose if it would relieve the pain.

female 58

primary Sjogrens, hypertension, aching joints, numbness and tingling in legs, dry eyes, nose, mouth; trigemenal neuralgia; irregular heartbeat, gastritis, diverticulosis, hi-hernia

meds: baby asprin, lorazepam as needed,  fish oil, Diovan for BP, Plaquenil, Salagen, Prevecid,

namakb

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 06:46:31 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give some a try I am sure. The weird thing is sometimes my nose can burn and not be that dry to the touch.
I did close the vent in my bedroom so the air would not be blowing and noticed that it helped. Nose did not bother me all night. Slept pretty good. I do believe that the air blowing and taking out the humidity is part of my problem even though I do have my humidifer running in my
room.
If anyone has anymore suggestions I would be very thankful.
This is such a great group.
Thanks again,
namakb

mncjl

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 12:39:19 PM »
This message is to those who are scaring others about using vaseline, olive oil, sesame oil, neosporin, bacitracin, and other natural non-smelling substances to ease their pain of dry noses, please look at the Ingredients in Ary Nasal Gel:

Water, Methyl Gluceth-10, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Triethanolamine, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera Gel), Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Carbomer, Poloxamer 184, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Blue 1.

Now, I see Soybean Oil and Geranium Maculatum Oil, and Tocopheryl Acetate (which is Vitamin E oil) in this product.  Along with a terrible scent and other parabens. And then of course there is Blue 1????  Poloxamer 184????? Urea?  Come on??????

Remember this: lipid pneumonia is very rare! Who do you think created the scare on the internet for using natural products?  Why of course, the people who produced Ary Nasal products! I'm certain in years to come we will see the devastating effects these products have just like Zycam, Afrin, and the other host of non-prescription ointments.

If you find something that works for your sjogrens symptoms, I say go for it!  Doctors are still prescribing vaseline for nasal dryness as well as other gentle oils - especially extra virgin olive oil.

I have a very dry nasal passages from using saline and neti pots!  And, of course they are suppose to be soothing for most! 

We are a different bread - and if something is not working, don't continue it's use. A lesson I have to learn over and over again with this disease.

Ayr nasal gel and many other unnatural products made my dry desert nose even dryer, and it burns when I put in on.

Just take note that not everything you read is true.  Research lipid pneumonia and you will find out how rare it really is.  Of course, you will only read the bad on the internet.

Let's help protect one another.  And, if something works, don't be negative to someone else who is sharing.

Just my thoughts on this topic.