Author Topic: Your eyedrops are $169.35  (Read 10965 times)

Meld256

Your eyedrops are $169.35
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:04:42 AM »
Hi all,

This is what I was told at the pharmacy yesterday when I attempted to pick up a prescription.  I was shocked, because last month the same one was $20.  ???  I left it there and came home to call the insurance company.

A short background: my cost of prescriptions has gone up and up.  Sound familiar?  When I was still working, I had a really good plan and knew I was lucky. Most of my meds were $10-$30 each.  When I retired and went on SS Disability, I switched to my husband's plan since he's still working. It's not so great...

I've been on his plan and had discounts like before. In the last month, they've all been weird prices; like one from $3 to $25, etc. When I called the insurance company I was told I "have exhausted my benefits."  He explained that we have $360 per year and I have used mine, so all meds will now be full price! 

I am at a loss to know what to do.  I have 18 months before being eligible for Medicare.  There is no way I can afford my meds at full price.  I need to talk to my doctors and perhaps call the companies making the drugs to see if they can help.  Anybody got any good ideas, please??  Has anyone tried a supplemental prescription plan with AARP, etc?

Hoping for a good Friday for all.
Melinda

lori

Re: Your eyedrops are $169.35
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:30:45 AM »
melinda,

sorry - i have  no advice but just wanted you to know I said a litle prayer for you and pray all works out. insurance and drug companies-grrrrrrrr... so frustrating to say the least.

God bless

lori

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:09:41 AM »
Some pharmacies have an insurance program that provides lower prices. I know that one of my meds is over $500.00.

I am wondering if an eye wash cup and sterile water would help us. I have used that in the past for conjunctivitis. I ask because I have trouble getting anything into my painfully, dry, sore eyes, even water in an eye cup.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Meld256

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 06:29:16 AM »
Thanks, Lori. 
So sweet of you.  I'm sure it will work out somehow...I feel blessed that I have found some things that help, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.  But guess I still want to give a Grrrr.. too.

Have a good day, dear.

Joe,
 I'm going to ask the pharmacy today what they can do to help. Also, already have an appt. today with my GP, so I'll see if he has any ideas, or samples! 
I need to call my sweet eye doc.  Needing 3 eyedrop scripts and an OTC to keep my eyes under control stinks.  :P And they are red and sore this week (more than usual)...ugh...not a good thing.
I appreciate your advice.

Take care,
Melinda

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:36:44 AM »
((Melinda)),

Wow . . . what a sticker price shock!!   ???

Prices across the board . . from groceries, gasoline, doctor visits, medicine . . . on and on, just keep rising and rising.  It's so disheartening - especially, when you NEED these things!  Boy, the $360/yr. cap on medicine with insurance is crazy.

I would tell your doctor(s) your situation and see if they can give you samples to help you out.  Our doctors office was kind when my husband was laid off years ago and gave us samples each month to get us through the money crunch and no insurance.  Calling the companies might help you too.

I'm sorry you are facing this situation right now - I know it's not easy.  I hope your doctors will be able to help you out so your eyes don't suffer because of the price tag of your eyedrops.  I know my optho wanted me to go on Restatis and I told her it was just too expensive for us.

Good luck with everything.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

4Kids

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:44:13 AM »
Oh that is my biggest fear.

I live in Canada and we get coverage with hubby's work as with the kids and how I feel I am home. My meds are over $1000 per month and thankfully right now his drug coverage pays for everything. Thank God, I don't know what I'd do otherwise!

I am so sorry, I really hope your dr can get you samples. I cannot imagine life without meds at this point.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

Gonzo

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
So sorry to hear this story from you Melinda. And also no advice from me. I am more surprised to read such stories. In the Netherlands you have a basicinsurance and all drugs are covered unless they are not registered (like fda approved). These basic insurance costs $ 80 per month. In the Netherlands, not everything in the care is taken care of ok, especially if you're old or disabled, but hese things, I love our system ... I wish for you that you could take my insurance.

Take care, I'll be thinking of you and hope you will find a solution quickly!
Stans

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 09:58:11 AM »
I am sorry to hear that you are in this position. Life is the pits nowadays trying to sort out all this stuff. If you check on this site you will find several links for drug companies that offer price breaks.

If you do the work you should come up with ways to get through this. Talk with your doc about the free samples. Call all the drug companies that manufacture your drugs and see what they can come up with.

Talk with social services in your county as sometimes there are programs that will fill in and cover drugs for certain things. It takes a lot of work and getting exposed to all that is out there but you should be able to adjust for now.

There are always some drugs that can be changed to cheaper ones, etc. The rest of the world is probably going to be in the same place eventually because of all the changes going on. Hopefully you will find the help you need. Most insurance plans are not made for people with chronic illness and high medication costs. Good luck and keep us updated on how you are doing on this. Irish ;D

Meld256

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
Thanks, everybody!! 

I know I can work this out.  It just may take some work calling and checking and bugging people, but I can be really good at that.  :D  I talked with my doc today; he didn't have samples but expects some and will call me when they come in~he's a sweetie.  He said he'd call my pharmacy and see if they can reduce some prices.

I'll also call the manufacturers, and do whatever else it takes.  Savella has helped me, and of course there is no generic and won't be til at least 2013, I think.  And Restasis, well we know how pricey that one is! 
The good news is that my husband has been working as a temp for over a year for a company that just decided to hire him on!  The insurance will change (yet again) and I hope and pray they have a better prescription plan.
Thanks for all the good wishes and advice. You guys are the best.  ;D
Melinda

genko_b

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »
If I had to pay for my meds at full price, they would be over $4,000 a month, no kidding. As it is, I "only" pay a couple of hundred. I am extremely grateful to the insurance company as they have stuck with us for years.

Hopefully you will have good luck talking to the pharmacy and drug companies. There are some programs out there, but you have to persevere through the process to get reimbursed.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 09:57:49 PM »
Meld, Are you aware that you can use your Restasis drops for 2 days worth of drops. In other words 4 drops a day times 2 days is 8 drops.

You can store them in the refrig in a little plastic container of some kind. Make sure to find a blue holder to keep the ampule upright. The important thing is to not touch the open end and to keep the drops covered in the container. Just make sure to wash your hands good before inserting the drops.

The eye doctors are saying this is ok as did the MN State eye docs assoc. that my eye doctor DIL belongs to. This really cuts down on the cost of the Restasis when you can stretch it out that way. Irish

Meld256

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
irish,

Yes, thanks for mentioning that. I was aware of that and have been strectching the Restasis out like that for about 8 weeks now.  I learned that from you!  ;) And, unfortunately, it seems for the last few weeks my eyes have felt progressively worse a bit at a time. *sigh*

My eye doc and I had figured out what regime works for me. Restasis twice a day, FreshKote drops 3x day, Opitve refresh OTC a few times a day.  And when I feel a bit more inflammation, I kept the Bepreve script on hand to use for a few days til they were better.  That way, I didn't need to see her everytime I had just a small issue brewing. 
Sounds like I need to go see her next week, and see what she can help with. I've been using the short-dose Restasis lately, using the FreshKote and Optive and my eyes are red and looking inflammed. (more so than ususal) I can tell since I have some puffiness around the eye~a sure sign.

I saw my dear GP yesterday, and I saw how he's still realizing how Sjogren's affects me. He's never had a patient with my "issues" so I'm a learning class for him.  I took all my meds (including eye stuff) and he's looking it over, and I told him my sad pricing story.  He asked, "So you need all these eye scripts to help the inflammation?"  Yes, it seems that way I told him.  He said, "So your eyes are severely affected. Wow..."  Yes, they are...bless him, he's learning and he took more notes down.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »
Melinda,

Also, another thing to keep in mind . . . since I imagine you spend a lot of time on the computer  ;), don't forget to BLINK often.  When looking at a computer screen we tend NOT to blink as often and sorta stare at the screen.

Remember . . . blink, blink, blink.   ;D  (put a sticky note next to the computer as a reminder if you need to)

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Meld256

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »
Bucky,  Yes I'm blinking now; see me?  ;)   ;D

Of course, I like being here but I watch my time, too.  About an hour and I take a break from it.  I get the drops, close my eyes for a few minutes, or do something that doesn't take such "eye power" like wash a load of clothes.  No, I'm not washing clothes with my eyes closed. My husband's work pants wouldn't look too good!

jasonsmith

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
Why don't they have Restasis in a regular type eye dropper? Figure it would end up being cheaper and you'd get more use out of it.

If you buy eye drops in the little vials, they cost alot more than a bottle of it.

I wish the eye drops from the store would come in a bigger bottle so it would end up being cheaper.