Author Topic: "Animal Planet" in our front yard  (Read 1710 times)

Meld256

"Animal Planet" in our front yard
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:42:03 AM »
I had the best time yesterday watching the cats and birds in the front yard. 

We have 2 huge maples in the yard, and there's a Bluejay nest in one of them. We also have a "stray cat" whose had 2 kittens about 5 weeks old hanging out on our porch and the momma cat's brother who I swear helps babysit when momma is gone for a few minutes.   So, we have the "nursery" at our house!

Momma cat's brother likes to chase anything, thinking he can catch it. I once saw him stalk a large duck that landed in our back yard; of course, the duck flew off in no time.  He looked disappointed...
So today was "flying lesson day" for a baby Bluejay. I saw it on our table and it flew to the ground and tried to take off like a little bi-plane, flying up about 12 inches off the ground and right back down, up again and down. It then walked across the yard and to the street.  The entire time the male cat was watching, and the pappa Bluejay was watching HIM!  The bird dive-bombed the cat, screeching at it, and chasing him around the yard.  He was terrified and hid under the gas grill. :)  The momma bird dove down at him and he ran under the car.  I finally let him in the house.

The momma cat was on the porch with her kittens, and the Bluejay came at her. She gathered up the babies and hid out under the porch.  I thought it was all too funny, and I enjoyed the little afternoon matinee!

quilt4fun

• "When life hands you scraps, make a quilt."
Re: "Animal Planet" in our front yard
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:54:05 AM »
Thanks for the chuckle! Isn't it amazing how God created these animals to protect  their young!
Age 64. PSS, Gerd, Kidney stones,  dry eyes, dry skin, borderline high cholesterol, osteoporosis. lung scar tissue,  Taking:  Plaquenil, Meloxicam, protonix, potassium citrate, fortical ,calcium+D,  Lovaza , genteel jel and theratears liquid  gel,    medrol and lacriserts

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:45:56 AM »
Meld, this is a great read -- I feel like I'm sitting with you drinking a nice hot cup of tea while we visit and chat and watch the silly circus.  Thanks so much for posting!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Meld256

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:51:05 AM »
A66eyroad,
A cup of tea with you watching my silly circus sounds good to me. :) 

And yes, quilt4fun, it is amazing how they were created to protect their young. I've heard Bluejays can be "very territorial" and now I see why, and don't mess with the baby!  I felt sorry for the little thing; it rained while he was trying to fly up from under the table, so he just stayed there and got wet. 

The crazy show was going on when my husband came home. He pulled in the drive and a bird swooped right past his head, squawking. He asked "What is going on? And why is the cat hiding under the grill??" Oh, I find amusement in the silliest things; makes life fun. :)

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:03:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story, Meld.  I wish I'd been there, too!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Meld256

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
Me, too, Cheryl!