Author Topic: Woman Question: Ovaries  (Read 5570 times)

gurs

Re: Woman Question: Ovaries
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 03:49:31 AM »
Ditto...Im just like Season. My health declined so rapidly after my hyster, Im pretty much in bed in pain most of the day now. Nothing has helped either.
Medications I used to be able to take, cant take anymore. My entire body just flips out.

Anyways, The only way in my opinion that someone should have a total Hyster (ovaries removed) is if I had cancer. If not, I would keep them, or
at least one. Most doc's are not aware of the complications with autoimmune and hormones etc. We are not normal, healthy women. Our bodies will react.

Im sure you will make the best decision for you....

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

shevonne

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 05:30:25 AM »
Wow!  Such a scary situation!  I hope that the cysts are not overpowering with pain cause right now I feel them but not as bad.  Hopefully, they are not cancerous.  If they are I have no choice.  I will have to pray for the best and if they are I hope Im one of the ones that body doesnt react so bad.  Wow!  Scary!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »
When I had my surgery the doc was going to leave one ovary but he said that the one was diseased in some way and the other one was dried up so he removed it.

I have a problem blaming all of the autoimmune issues on having the ovaries removed. I know that hormones are involved in some way with some of this, but I would be inclined to first think that the general stress of surgery and anesthesia on our body could be a precipitator of a big flare or first flare.

I know that my first episode of myasthenia gravis was right after my skull fracture and brain concussion when I was 21 years old. By the 5th day when I left the hospital my weakness was very evident. I just thought it was from the injury. The weakness hung with me more or less for many months and 7 months later I got married and still had it. Stressors can really screw our bodies up. Just my opinion. Irish ;D

Mawsky

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »
Hi, just wanted to let you know my experience. About eight years ago I had a total vag hysterectomy with oopherectomy (both my ovaries) I was so scared to take the HRT just from the big news that had been out about the breast CA risks that I didn't start taking it, and felt that I could just get along without it, I think I fouled myself up doing this, my estrogen got so low, I have osteoporosis, and one year after surgery I developed Alopecia Areata (autoimmune hair loss) I believe it was from the shock to my body that happened when I crashed, by not taking the Estrogen right away, I now take it everyday, and don't even want to think about quitting  I'm turning 55 next month, and my Doc has not mentioned me quiting. I also use premarin cream for vaginal dryness, so I think I'm still low on estrogen. Good luck to you, if you have to have surgery, don't be afraid, I sometimes wonder if all my health problems, at least the autoimmune stuff, was related to my surgery, but I think a lot of us try to find a reason.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:46:58 AM by Mawsky »

smallfry

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 11:26:32 PM »
I lost the lot when I was 34 and so now I have what I call a black hole,I have been taking Permarin 0.625 since the opp I have tried going off them but I find that the benefits of taking them greatly outweight the symptoms that I was getting by not taking them, my Doctor strongly advises me to stay on them until I am at least 65 I am now 56 with no problems in that area.
Smallfry

gurs

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 03:34:56 AM »
If you can stay on the HRT and are feeling good, I - myself would take the risk. To me, everything is a risk. That is life.
 I would take anything to get my quality of life back.

gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Daisy1234

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 04:49:31 AM »
Shevonne:

Please let us know what happens, this must be such a difficult and worrisome time for you!!!!

Sending hugs and positive thoughts,

Daisy

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 05:16:21 AM »
I am sad for what all you girls are going through. I have a particular problem. I am 58 still not through menopause.

Right now I am bleeding, but not heavy, but continuous for the past month. I don't have a history of any cancer, but do have poly cystic ovarian disease.

I can tell the hormonal imbalance from the extra nervousness, the out breaks of acne type cysts even at my age.

For a couple of years I had a doctor who once per year would give me a low dose pill that had both estrogen/progesterone.(medroxyprogesterone)  I actually seem to lack the progesterone after so long.

Now though after that doctor is no longer around, no other doctor will do this. I only would take the low dose pills for 2 months and then no more for about a year.

I can't take them anymore than that, because I  had a blood clot several years ago, but it was due to being off my feet after turning my ankle bad.

So I don't know what to do, but still have my ovaries although I don't know how well they work.

susanep  :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »
Susan, I am wondering if you should get to a gyne because of this bleeding. So often when we don't have the correct balance of hormones our uterus will lay down a very heavy layer of endometrial tissue. This is what will cause us to have all the bleeding. We usually need a D & C to clean the uterus out.

There are newer versions of the D & C that are less invasive---ask about them. The problem with having all this tissue and bleeding is that it puts us at higher risk for cancer. I hope that you can get this taken care of. I went through the heavy bleeding all my life and then prolonger bleeding prior to my hysterectomy and it is the pits. Also, at todays prices for pads it is really spendy. Good luck. Hope you are staying cool down there. Irish ;D

shevonne

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 06:54:41 AM »
I missed my appt today for the oncology surgeon.  I wrote it on my calendar for this afternoon but it was this morning at 9.  I feel so bad I want to cry!  The receptionist gave me an appt for next Tuesday but I wanted to know where I stood; whether a biopsy or what.  I feel so horrible!

sis

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »
Oh Shevonne!  So sorry you missed your appt.  Don't beat yourself up about it.  I have done the same thing.  Even w/ writing everything down sometimes we screw up.

I had a hysterectomy with both ovaries removed 2 years ago.  I had recurring cyst on the the ovaries that were very painful.  turned out my ovaries were attached to my bowels with terrible adhesions.  It was a very good thing I had the surgery.

I am now 46.  I can't tolerate estrogen therapy.  I have had migraines for the last 10 years and ET makes them worse.  I noticed no difference in headaches after hysterectomy.

At the 2 year mark I am very glad i had hysterectomy.  I do miss my ovaries.  No estrogen is a challenge but I couldn't function w/ the pain of ovarian cyst bursting and endo so it was a huge amount of pain removed from my total pain load.

I have found great relief from hot flashes by not eating/drinking things that contribute to them and taking black cohosh and Efexor for mood.  I also use vagifem to help with vaginal dryness.  My sex drive isn't so hot any more.  That was never an issue before. 

It is what is is.  We just do the best we can.

I will be thinking about you.  Hang in there.