Author Topic: New Grandbaby  (Read 3309 times)

eyeamdry

New Grandbaby
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:33 PM »

Hi y'all, those of you with all the grandchildren.  I don't have any and never will and this is ok with me, but I do have a new granddog.  My daughter has a 10 week old puppy who is a mix of papion and Charles Something Spaniel and she is sooooooooo cute.  My daughter lost her two pet cats last year and one was 19 1/2 and the other 20 when they died.  The cats were sisters from the same bunch, and I told her that most people don't keep their kids for 20 years.

She has been lost since her cats died and finally picked out this pup from the animal rescue.  Do not think the dog was "free or cheap" though.  It was $450 and about blew my socks off.  I don't know how these places work, but a dog isn't free any more.  They even called her landlord checking up on her.  I can realize this and why they do it.  Too many ppl get pets and don't care about them.

So, the pup loves to chew on pig's ears whatever they are, so now I can buy her a Christmas present.  My daughtyer is haing an awful time trying to train the dog.  She wants the dog to sleep with her and the dog has pooped on her bed and peed on her pillow.  I told her to use the crate, but she doesn't want any suggestions.  So now when my friends dig out their gkid pics, I'll be sure to have one of my granddog. lol.  I will dog sit but only after the dog is trained.  Lucy

Cricket

Re: New Grandbaby
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
Congratulations!

I think all new babies (human or animal) are adorable.

Hope you and your daughter enjoy her.
Cricket
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Patze

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:29:48 AM »
Aaaaawwwww Lucy, that combo does sound so cute!!!  And tell your daughter congratulations!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

lynnmarie219

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 04:57:53 AM »
Congrats grandma! Granddogs and grandcats count!  :)

Hope your daughter gets her house training under control soon...I'm sure she will do fine with a little time and love!

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:48:18 AM »
Lucy,
Enjoy your new grandpup!  Does he have a name yet?
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
Lucy - congratulations on your new fur grandbaby!!   ;D

I never realized that rescue animals could cost so much!   :o  Wow!

If your daughter doesn't want to cage the pup until she is potty trained, she can expect to have more accidents on her bed!  That would be like laying a small baby on her bed with no diaper on!  'Ya just wouldn't do it.

From hearing stories from different people with new puppies, I just don't think I have the energy, patience, or time for a puppy (no matter how cute they are).  They DO go through the chewing stage - I hope your daughter has a bunch of chew items for her.

Enjoy your new baby!!   :D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:11:28 PM »
Potty training is so hard when they are so young. I would suggest paper training first and then out for walkies. Artimes, an Owl, was toilet trained in about a week. She did not like people watching her and would only go in the motor home. Kitty her owner was frustrated with having to have her in the motor home when they traveled to Renfests. Our Westies were paper trained as puppies and then the paper was moved outside. They will come to sleep with you when ever they can get away with it. Christy slept with Jan an I. Misty slept with me or the girls. Trinket slept with Jan.

Potty training first then sleeping arrangements.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Katybarstool

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
Lucy

Enjoy your new grandbaby. I'm with you, I love baby anythings! I can't imagine having a dog sleep on my bed though!
Would love to see a picture.

Kathyx

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »
I'm happy for you! Any chance of a photo?   :)   I love puppies.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:10:14 AM by Scottietottie »
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Daisy1234

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
Hi Lucy:

Many congrats on the new grandog puppy :).   I am an avid animal lover myself as well as having been a professional dog obedience trainer.   Would agree with the others, putting a small young and untrained dog on the bed to sleep is just like a baby without a diaper.  Nothing like watching out for where one puts one's head when they are snoozing lol.

Do want to say a hearty "Good for your daughter" that she's giving this little one a wonderful home, but it is always best that the owner gets some training so that they can allow the dog to realize its full potential and live a happy life.  The types of dogs you mention (King Charles Cavalier Spaniel and Papillion) are breeds that often live to 16 yrs so it may be in her best interest and certainly that of the pup's to take a good puppy training class to learn how to do the basic commands and also socialize the dog.  Socialization is so important for puppies.

Wishing her, the grandpup and you the best of luck,

Daisy

Meld256

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 04:52:41 AM »
Congrats, Lucy!  ;)    We'll look forward to any pictures you might be able to post.  Puppies are so adorable; and a lot of work to begin with, but so worth it. 

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 05:32:13 AM »
Some times Grandparents have to take care of their grandpups for a while. Our daughter and her family are in the process of moving and their 5+ year old beagle, Chloe, came to stay with Jan and I until they move into their new home. As I moved from the chair to the couch last night Chloe took what I vacated. She has her bed but prefers mine.

It is too hot to sleep together. She must feel a little cool this morning. As she pawed the blanket on the couch for a pillow, she covered herself with the rest of the blanket. That may have been habit for her because she just kicked it off.

Being a beagle she had to snoop through the whole house last night looking for her family before she would settle down.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eyeamdry

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 03:19:20 PM »
I'll see if I can get a pic posted.  Puppy is really cute and I'm not a dog lover, but will have to be for this one. 

Rhonda

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »
Congratulations Grandma!  Being an animal lover, I can certainly share your joy!  He's just 10 weeks old - he'll catch on and will bring you many years of joy.   

Congratsulations again!

eyeamdry

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »
Daughter brought the grand puppy over tonight.  First time we all had time to interact.  This puppy is absolutely so cute.  I am not too much of an animal person but must say she has won my heart.  We were in the house for awhile and then all went outside.  The pup rolled and romped and chewed to her hearts content.  Gramp really had a great time and I think they will be great friends.  If we keep the pup, Gramp will have the rule. 

I want to put a picture on here of her.  I have a couple of pix but I am not sure how to do it.  I will figure out asap and will share her.  She is really a handsome pup.  I don't think she will be very big (good) and the vet said about 20 lbs max.  My daughter lives in an apt so this is good.  She has the puppy using the crate to good advantage.  Daughter is learning that what other people told her was true, but she has to be the "boss."  Dog has only had on accident in the house in the last few days.  At night, the dog slept in the crate for 7 or 8 hours with one potty break.

The pup was so tired from her visit, she was lying on our lawn spread eagle feeling the cool clean grass on her belly.  She was totally pooped and fell asleep on their way home.  She was then crated for a sleep.  I think this dog will bring us all lots of fun.  Lucy