Author Topic: Dry cough, convulsive cough, no mucus?? What now????  (Read 5609 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Dry cough, convulsive cough, no mucus?? What now????
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
Dear Sjogren's angels,

Over the past forever, I have been having this occasional dry cough and a sort of weirdness when I try to exhale all the way.

The weirdness is sort of a rattle, or clicking.   And if I keep exhaling I get a strangling sort of cough.

Sometimes it triggers a cough that doesn't stop and makes me dizzy.

Nothing comes up.

I don't have a cold or bronchitis or anything.   And the last one was ages ago.

This is something that seems to have been getting slightly more apparent over at least two years.

Is this the beginning of something related to my not diagnosed Sjogren's?

Does anyone recognize this at all.

I'll ask my GP about it because I made an appointment to see her in just over a week.

But of course I have to ask her about 1) Pain  2) a rheumy referral, and NOW 3) my cough thing.

I hate having a long list.

Oh well.

Hope someone recognizes this, or assures me not to worry cause there's no treatment anyway!

Hugs

Elaine

Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

stephL

Re: Dry cough, convulsive cough, no mucus?? What now????
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »
I have the chonic coughing. My dry lungs are always irritated, so I cough a lot every day. I hear the weird little noises and wheezing too. My asthma medications don't help.

But lately what sets off the convulsive coughing for me is mold. I have to watch out for damp mold prone area in my house or else I'm in big trouble.
"Unlike weakness, fatigue can be alleviated by periods of rest." -Wikipedia: Fatigue (medical)

sass

• Sjogren's gave me a dry sense of humor!!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
Yes
I have this too.  mine seems like it is more like a throat issue with occasional drainage.  My throat is always dry and I will get a chocking feeling. I have recently found out I have a cervical neck issue called "congenital excessive kypho sis".   It means that my cervical spine is growing backwards and pushes against my esphogus.  But, I believe the dryness of sjogren's just adds to my problem. I understood that I had a backwards neck, but just found out it is another congential deformity.                                                                                                                          I sometimes do have a wheez               sass
Barrett's Esophagus,LVH,Lung Disease Constrictive Broncholitis,SJS,Hashimoto's,DES Baby,Cervical Dysplasia,2Pituitary Tumors Brain Surgery,Breast,dysatonia,Lumpectomy,Fibromyalgia,Parotid,Hypothyroid,Neuropathy, Back Surgery,Hypoglycemia,Cervical SpinaBifidi

irish

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »
I am wondering if this is a muscle spasm in your airway??? I have something that is sort of weird also but I think it is from the dryness. I get what I call a "hitch" (feels like someone has a string around my throat and is pulling it tighter slowly) and it causes me to start to sort of feel like I am strangling and doing a dry hack at the same time. It is really miserable and the only thing I can think to do is to take a bite of pudding that I keep in fridge to take pills with.

Hope you get that one figured out. It sure could be some kind of neuropathy. Irish ;D

Shade

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 01:05:20 PM »
Hi Elaine,

I read somewhere (it may have been medifocus) that a continual dry cough is an expected complication of Sjs due to a dry throat.  Also, it said that we should never clear our throats.  The example given was, when you are getting ready to speak do not clear your throat as it will eventually cause damage to your voice box.  Instead of clearing your throat, you should hum.

Since, reading that I've noticed when I do accidently clear my throat, it really hurts.

I don't have a dry cough luckily.  Though, one night I was calling the cat to come home (hollering is more like it) and it hurt my throat.  I ended up coughing through most of the night.

Let us know if your GP has an answer.

Take care,

Shade
Sjogren's dx 2011, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Esophagitis, Depression, Anxiety, SFN, OAB, Asthma, Obstructive Breathing
Gabapentin, D3, Omega 3, B12 , Nexium, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Restasis, Evoxac, Meloxicam, Nuvigil, Plaquenil, VESIcare, Dulera, Montelukast, Spiriva

Nancy60

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »
Hi Elaine,

I get what seems like a dry cough but also feel a sort of rattle or gurgle down deep in my lungs and sometimes end up coughing so hard without anything coming up, that I end up gagging and retching.  I was told by my doctor to try Mucinex to thin out the secretions and it works like a charm.  I don't have a cold or anything like that, but I think I am so dry that the mucus in my lungs is dry and thick, irritating and making me need to cough, but nothing comes up.  this has happened many times over the last few years since my doctor told me to try it, and it works every time!  Not sure if this is what is going on with you, but might be worth a try.  Be sure you get just the regular Mucinex, NOT the Mucinez-D which has a decongestant in it.

Nancy

irish

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 07:21:55 PM »
The sjogrens causes the mucus to be thick and sticky and the lungs say "out" so we do the dry cough bit. As mentioned the mucinex works to thin the mucus causing it to be easier to cough up. Also, the inhalers are really needed to dilate the bronochial tubes so that they are larger and the mucus junks can exit the body easier.

Any doctor that doesn't pay much attention to the lungs needs to be enlightened. Sjogrens does indeed cause lung issues that can be devastating. Good luck. Irish ;D