Author Topic: Bug bites & Sjogren's  (Read 3241 times)

Bucky

• Sjogrens Staff
Bug bites & Sjogren's
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:33:15 PM »
Is it just me, or do you notice than when you get a bug bite that you get a worse reaction to it since having Sjogren's, than before you had Sjogren's?

The last couple of years when I get bit - it seems I get these huge whelps that will itch like crazy.  Then they go through the black and blue stage.  It seems to take forever for them to go away.

I get the feeling that all the bugs outside are just waiting for me to come out of the house so they can attack me!   ::)  No wonder I stay indoors!   ;)

Does this happen to anybody else?

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
Re: Bug bites & Sjogren's
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:44:28 PM »
Not sure about bugs but last year I had a cat scratch that got infected. Weird as I have gotten cat scratches a lot through my life, and other scratches, etc. and never got infected.
Not sure if the SJS "helps it along" or not but would not be surprised.

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
Bucky,
I have had just awful bug bites my whole life. They get soooo huge and turn purple and swell.

I just thought I was having an allergic reaction, never knew what else it could be.

First day of school in the 5 th grade I had a bite in my jaw and It swelled so huge it looked like I had been in a fight.

So i have been dealing with that a very long time. My doctor a few years ago ( before my sjs diagnosis) suggested making a paste with cortison cream and benadryl gel. So that does help if you catch the bite right away.

Oh! And dont itch!  :-))
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:17:44 PM »
Hi Bucky,

Like Jellyb, I've always had a severe local reaction to any insect bite (bees/wasps being the worst, and carry an EPI pen just in case these days).

The last bee sting I had (stepped on that bad boy), my foot swelled all the way up to just passed my knee (could only bend from the hip and walked like I had a cast on for about a week :-\).

And mine always itch like mad for weeks too...

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »
I have had severe reactions to bug bites all of my life. There seems to be no difference now.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
I've always had bad reactions to bug bites, but I suspect I've had Sjogren's since childhood. I always get huge welts instead of little bumps after a mosquito bite.

The St. Thomas criteria for diagnosing lupus includes severe reactions to bug bites: "This is a feature of so many lupus patients. Not only are they susceptible to insect bites but often reactions are severe and prolonged - the skin is a major organ affected by lupus."  http://www.lupus-support.org.uk/diagnosis.htm

Lupus and SJS are so closely related that it makes sense to me that a number of us would experience this problem, too.
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Diane54

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:02:48 AM »
I am a magnet to mosquitoes! I heard that bloody type O (which I am) is somehow more susceptible....don't know if that's true or not!
Sjogren's diagnosed Dec 20, 2010, Hypothyroid, Diabetes 2, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Mitral Valve  Prolapse, Gerds, Antiphospholipid Syndrome,  Synthroid, Paxil, Prilosec, Evoxac, Plaquenil, Tramadol, Simvistatin, Restasis, Baby Asprin, vitamin D, Januvia, Amlodipine, Gabapentine

One and only

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:20:06 PM »
Bees will do me in,, I have three epi-pens,, one in each vechile and one in the house, been stung twice in gteh last 4 years and ended up in the ER ,, throat swolllen about shut,, hives over 100% of my body,, ya,, and bug bites seem to be worse now,, mosquiotoe bites seem to feel like I got hit with a nest full of wasp,, this all sucks,, they bug me :-)

babycakes

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
yep me too

I constantly have bites in the summer, they come up as big round discs and itch like mad, sometimes bleeding and then taking ages to heal.  Even if i get scratched by a twig, my skin swells around the scratch and i seem to have extreme reactions to any bites or scratches.

i also come up with a whole host of weird rashes and bumps on and off throughout the year.

cat

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
My husband calls me his bug repellant. Need I say more.

dry2010

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »
I get huge welts from mosquitoe bites. Last night I was sitting out on the deck sun still up and got bit on my forehead smack dab in the middle wanna talk about goofy looking.

Dry2010
Diagnosed SJS March 2010, Gerd, Plaquenil & Generic Evoxac, Vit d, ACV for GERD, Welbutrin,Flonase and Lotemax.

Patty

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »
I'm glad you posted this. I was stung by a bee or wasp a good month ago and still have a mark. It has turned the skin purple and looks like a scar. I think it may never go away. Strange, I never used to have a reaction like this.
Sjogren's, Vasculitis,  IC, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Raynauds, Peripheral Neuropathy

lindaneall

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
Yes, I definitely have a worse reaction to bug bits.  I often break out in localized hives from mosquito bites, or develop a rash that spreads from other bug bites.  I heard at a Sjs conference once that those with Sjs have a higher statistic of allergic reactions. 

Smee

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
Bugs aren't too much of a problem for me, but I'm a garlic fiend. A few years back I had a terrible year for flea bites with terrible big sores. My comment was cat scratches and dog bites. I've had 2 really bad infections (like need drains installed in my hand) from it in the last couple of years, and that was with rinsing and washing and washing... all I can think of is my immune system is NUTS and I just don't get it.

Cheryl

Katybarstool

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 02:21:19 AM »
We don't get bitten often in the UK, but in Cyprus it was different. I'm not usually bothered by the mosquitos, but the odd bite I got gave me only a minor reaction - possibly because I take antihistamines? My poor mum though was badly bitten and had nasty blisters. I wondered whether it was anything to do with her diabetes.

Kathyx