Author Topic: Dry eyes when waking  (Read 3849 times)

my3lambs

Dry eyes when waking
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:09 PM »
Hi, All,
My dry eyes have recently gotten SO FREAKING BAD first thing in the morning when I wake up.  I remember my dad (who also had Sjogren's) using this really thick OTC eye gel before bed...does that help with the AM dryness?  Any other suggestions?

liv4ever

Re: Dry eyes when waking
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
that is the worst.  I have had my eyes literally glued shut when i wake,  and if i rub them without thinking, forget it!  pain for hours! when i remember i try to roll my eyes around before i open them.    Any alcohol intake makes it all the worse.  I have used the gel a few times.  not sure how i feel about it.   it goes on the lower lids.  i now drink 2 full glasses of water before bed. and put drops in.  it's weird, i would think rest would be good for the eyes.  i dont understand how they get drier in the night when they are closed.

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:49 PM »
If you have contacts, the gel could be a problem. I want to use it too, but my eye doctor said it would mess up my contacts.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

eyeamdry

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:58:54 PM »
Two solutions......Keep your eyedrops by the bed.  Before you even get up, put drops in your eyes and let them work for a couple of minutes.

I have a friend who would leave a clean glass of water and in the morning, before she got out of bed would dip her finger in the water and put on her eyelids.  This would work the same way the drops do, get 'em open before you get out of bed and you won't be causing erosions.  Lucy
Lucy
*Dry Eye Queen
**Popsicle Queen

smallfry

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:17:46 AM »
My very dry eyes wake me 3 to 4 times a night, the night can be just as bad as the day, I just keep drops beside my bed and with me at all times.
Smallfry

June

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »
Try smearing gel on top eyelids before sleeping.

newhorizons

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 02:53:16 AM »
might be worth washing your eye lids first thing in morning.  Cleanliness is the key to keep eye issues at bay.  If your eyes are matted in a.m. might try the new Systane Balance which helps keep the glands that secrete oil to keep what moisture you have made.

Remember, eye drops do not contain the nutrients that your real eyes secrete.  SOOOOOOOOOO more you can care for eye glands just behind lashes by keeping them clean and open the better.

Take time to get the hang of eyes.

Sleeping in eye mask helps keep bed linen dust from getting in eyes.  I was mine with J and J baby shampoo first thing in a.m. and then apply Systane Balance and cover with warm wash cloth and warm gel pack for 10-15 minutes.

Remember, you can apply two different eye drops if needed, just remember to allow 5 minutes between the two different ones.

Good luck with your peepers.

hollowoakfarm

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 07:23:10 AM »
I can no longer use drops, ointments or gels, but the TranquilEyes moisture goggles are a wonderful thing to have.  I found them through this forum, which directed me to The Dry Eye Zone.

The goggles look bulky, but are soft, and i have no trouble sleeping in them.  I have not so much as had lids firmly glued together in the mornings, much less lids glued to eyeballs, since I started using them.  I have also used them when on long drives and it's hubby's turn behind the wheel.  I can get some eye rest, listen to an audiobook, and keep the car heat or a/c out of my eyes with them.  I'm sure I look interesting to passing cars, especially since mine are purple!  But they help tremendously.

I also found a pure water eye mist through the Dry Eye Zone, which I can use.  The problem with the other eye products is that my eyes have gotten so dry that when I use them my eyes immediately soak up the water content, and leave the solutes to crystalize on my eyes.  Then those little crystals sit there and cut my eyes up.  It'e like having sand in my eyes.  Or fiberglass.  But between the goggles and the mist, I'm doing quite well.  I'd never have found them if it weren't for this group.

Meg

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
Have you tried the prescription Lacrisert? My GP wrote me a script for those many years before I was dx'd with Sjogren's, but my rheumy had never heard of them! Now he writes for them to all his Sjogren's patients. They're the best things out there! They're like a little grain of rice you slip inside your lower lid, and they dissolve throughout the day keeping your eyes all nice and moist. I can cut one in half and it'll last all day. It takes a little while for them to get warmed up by your body heat and start to work, but worth the 30-minute or so wait.  When I sleep with them in, though, they'll sometimes get all gopped up with my lashes, especially if I forget I have it in there and rub my eyes while I'm sleeping.
Female, 59
SJS, flu-like symptoms, mouth ulcers, high cholesterol, headache, earache, dizziness,  hangover-like nausea.
Plaquenil, Aleve, Evoxac, Mary's Magic Mouthwash, 50,000 IU of Vitamin D each week.

Never trust an atom. They make up everything.

ohiolady

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »
Lots of good suggestions.  Are you on Restasis?  It is an RX med for the eyes and has helped many of us.  I also take 3000 mg of fish oil daily.  I use Genteal gel at night, various drops during the day, have plugs and do warm compresses.  With all of this treatment, the corneal scratches or abrasions have healed and I am manageable.  Also, a good moisture chamber pair of glasses are a must.  They completely protect the eyes when outside and I always have them in the car to protect against heat and AC.  You can educate yourself on the dryeyezone.  You will learn everything you need to know on that website.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 58

Shade

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »
Hi my3lambs,

Before starting Restasis, I used Refresh ointment almost every night.  The nights I didn't use the ointment, I would wake up several times during the night with such dry eyes...each time I would wake, I would have to put in Refresh Tears.

Also, I read somewhere our eyes produce fewer tears at night.
Sjogren's dx 2011, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Esophagitis, Depression, Anxiety, SFN, OAB, Asthma, Obstructive Breathing
Gabapentin, D3, Omega 3, B12 , Nexium, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Restasis, Evoxac, Meloxicam, Nuvigil, Plaquenil, VESIcare, Dulera, Montelukast, Spiriva

Nathan

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 11:59:58 AM »
Tear production, as with saliva production, is severely decreased while sleeping. That's why you wake up and your eyes are bone dry. Using eye ointments (Like Refresh P.M. and etc, which are mainly mineral oil-based lubricants) work great to keep the eyes at least minimally lubricated while you sleep. They will make everything a blurry mess though, so do be careful with that. It should keep you from being in TOO much pain before you can get your morning drops in.

my3lambs

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

eyeamdry

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
From one at this dry eye stuff for over 11 years, TRANQUILEYES are expensive but well worth the money.  I have two pair.

Lacriserts are worth a try, but don't think they are real popular.  But, until you try, you don't know they may work for you.  In the last couple of years, Lacrisert was bought out by a new company from the old one.  I think the old company had no advertising on these.  Tried twice, years apart, but didn't work for me.

Restasis is certainly worth a try, but it takes months to know if it's working.  I think the % of positive results I've read about are about 1/3.  I tried them twice also, once for 6 weeks and years later for 7 months and neither time helped.  They do help many though.

One easy thing is to take a clean washcloth and wet with cool water and put in a ziplock bag beside the bed and if you wake up at night, you could clean your lashes or do so in the morning.  Most of the junk on our lashes is residue from drops or gels.  Dryeyezone is a wonderful place for info.  Lucy
Lucy
*Dry Eye Queen
**Popsicle Queen

hikerknees

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »
I also use a humidifier very near my head, it seems to help a bit with the eyes, more with the airway dryness.  I also keep the drops by the bed, use night gel, and have a covered cup of water by the bed (hubby calls it my sippy cup, lol).  It takes some organization but you get used to it.  I hope you find the right combo for you.
Primary Sjs, GERD, Pos ANA, SSA, SSB, 53 yo female
Plaquenil, Zantac, HRT, Lacto, Fish oil, Daily, B, C, and D vits,