Author Topic: Nose sores  (Read 9891 times)

Nancy60

Nose sores
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
does anyone else ever get nose sores?  I get them occasionally, just inside my nostril on the middle part (not sure if this is the septum but I think it might be).  It is tender and bleeds, then scabs over and pulls, opens up and bleeds a little again.  I have had it this time around for over a week now and it is still not healed up.  It isn't very big, but is annoying.  any ideas on how to get it healed up?  Not sure if this is due to the Sjogren's/Autoimmune stuff or not, but I think it might be.

Nancy

amk922

Re: Nose sores
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:41:47 PM »
I'd had a sore/ulcer on my right-side septum for a couple years actually. I got it after starting an allergy nasal spray, but I've not used it in a while and the ulcer is still there. A rheumy told me it could just be dryness in my nasal passage. It has worn away at the tissue dividing my nasal passages and I'm sure I'm at risk of a perforation. I've been advised to use saline gel nasal spray and Vaseline on it when I go to bed, but I just haven't been disciplined enough to keep on it. Worst case scenario, I would need a septoplasty (I have a deviated septum) to keep the air from drying out the septum area so badly.

Best,
Ali
SJS Diagnosis Feb 2006 (age 26)
Fibromyalgia confirmed June 2011 (age 31)
ANA: 878
Anti-Ro SSA: 741

Managing with 400mg Plaqenil per day and 500mg Naproxen up to 2x/day.  Other medications: Clarinex, Singulair, Cymbalta 30mg, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Lunesta.

KellyG999

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
I get them pretty often and I believe it is related to AI disease. It helps me to rub a little cortisone cream in my nostrils morning and evening. If I don't, they get worse and you can see redness and swelling outside of my nose!! One more embarrassing issue to contend with. Good luck.

Kelly

hikerknees

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:11:16 PM »
Hi Nancy,
As always, so good to hear others are having these problems, so glad you raised it.  Yes I have one like that, it won't go away but I have been able to keep it from bleeding all the time with saline nasal spray, I have to use it many times a day.  I use a neti pot also but it doesn't give me relief all through the day.

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »
Hi Nancy,

I too use a nasal spray, but use a gel type saline spray instead of the regular variety as I find it lasts longer for me (hate the bloody noses, embarrassing when I'm work and I get one).

Have you spoken to an ENT about it?  Or your primary?  If you did, what did he say if you don't mind my asking?

Hang in there and take care of yourself, okay?

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

TJMAC

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
I too get this quite often.I use a triple antibiotic ointment and it has never failed to clear it up.Its just an over the counter med.I'm sure the vaseline like consistency helps a lot.Even polysporin would probably do the same thing.Good luck.Teresa

irish

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 11:26:42 PM »
I was going to suggest checking with the doc about this problem also. When you use cortisone cream over an extended period of time it tends to thin the tissues and I doubt you want the nasal septal tissues thinned. Just a thought. Irish ;D

hikerknees

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
Irish--
I would like to try that--the gel type saline spray.  Can you tell me a brand name and where I can get it?  Oh, and if it has vasoline or other petroleum products in it?  Thanks,
sue

KellyG999

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 10:07:26 AM »
Ocean Spray is a good saline, although usually the "store brand" is less expensive and is the same. It helps me with stuffiness but not the sores. Since my doctors offer no suggestions for it I have had to use trial and error. Otherwise, I have a sore, visibly red nose even from the outside which makeup won't cover. I realize cortisone use has its issues, but we all weigh risk and benefit with everything we take or use. Many of us have to use sysytemic corticosteroids which is far riskier long term, but we have to deal with the symptoms we have and try to live our lives. This is the only thing that works for my nasal sores, however they are inside the nostrils and not in the septum - which probably makes the difference here. Thanks!

Kelly

cremer

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »
I get these alot, always happens when I get my mouth ulcers, my rheumy says they are Sjogren's related.
Male 48 yrs old
PSjS (Positive SSa & SSb ANA 1:2560, Possible Fibromyalgia and CFS, Triple heart bypass Feb 2011, IBS, brain fog, joint pain, mouth and nose ulcers, paronychia, headaches, and fatigue, Very low WBC count.
Medications : Aspirin, Plaquenil, Bisoprolol, Simvastatin, Vit D, Iron.

Nancy60

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 10:40:43 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I already use saline nasal spray, but will look for the gel one as mine is just the store brand water consistency.  I try not to use the steroid creams unless I absolutely have to, will probably try the triple antibiotic ointment first.  Hopefully that will do the trick.  I haven't mentioned these to my doctor - they havent been around during a Dr. visit and I forget to mention them, will try to remember next time and see what they say.  Hopefully the antibiotic ointment will do the trick.  Thanks again everyone!

Nancy

Eileen

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
hikerknees,

NeilMed has a gel spray called Naso Gel Spray. You can go to their web site for a store near you that carries it. Target, CVS and RiteAid has it.
It has aloe in it.
Sjogren's, Fibromyalgia, Facet Joint Syndrome, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis and Asthma
Plaquenil, Hydrocodone, Albuterol, Vit D & C

seren

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
Hi Nancy,

I get these nose sores too, not as often as I used to and I also used to have a horrible smell that I could smell in my nose at the same time.  It was quite disgusting! I had a camera inserted into the nose and they did not know what it was but said it might be allergic rhinitus?  I tried lots of sprays and creams but nothing helped.

The sores are crusty and very painful indeed and the smell that comes with it, well I used to think it was me then I thought everyone else was 'smelly' but then I remember its my nose... lol ....how strange is that!  ;D

Take Care
Paula

jazzlover

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I get them sometimes. Can be very painful. I used AYR saline nasal gel. Works great.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

amk922

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
I also use Ayr Saline Gel nasal spray. I ordered a 3-pack on Amazon.
SJS Diagnosis Feb 2006 (age 26)
Fibromyalgia confirmed June 2011 (age 31)
ANA: 878
Anti-Ro SSA: 741

Managing with 400mg Plaqenil per day and 500mg Naproxen up to 2x/day.  Other medications: Clarinex, Singulair, Cymbalta 30mg, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Lunesta.