Author Topic: can you take probiotics while taking doxycycline?  (Read 5243 times)

valene2009

can you take probiotics while taking doxycycline?
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »
my doc (obgyn) wants me to take probiotics.. I take Doxycyline daily for my eyes.. does anyone else on here take both and if so, should i space them out?  i dont want the probiotic to counteract my doxy.
thanks!!

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: can you take probiotics while taking doxycycline?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
One of the theories that has enhanced the reputation of probiotics recently is that, taken with antibiotics, they may maintain healthy balance in our body by replacing "good" bacteria.

That would seem to mean that they are even more important to take during antibiotic treatment.

Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 04:19:41 PM »
If you DON'T you will regret it !!  Those on long term antibiotic therapy NEED to be replacing the good bacteria in their gut. Otherwise, the bad bacteria will take over and you will be miserable.  Take the antibiotics two hours away from taking the probiotics. I would suggest purchasing a high quality probiotic like Theralac Probiotics
 or VSL#3. You are also at some risk for c. diff and that can be dangerous. You would need Florastor for that. For now, I would stick with a high quality probiotic.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:41:14 PM by Linda196 »
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

valene2009

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
hey..thank you both!  so if i take my doxy in the am and again at 4 pm.. i assume i could take the probiotic around 8pm with my magnesium?  thanks so much.. i am going to start taking it!

jazzlover

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »
Yes, or even at bedtime. I hope you have a good one. :)
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

Budgie

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
Not sure if you are interested in alternatives but if you are then grapefruit seed extract or oregano oil are supposed to keep yeast infections at bay.  I'm trying oregano oil now to see if it works.  Fingers crossed but I'm hoping for the best as clinical trials have shown that it's effective.   

susan

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
I have a history of C Diff, so I ALWAYS take probiotics no matter what antibiotic I am on. I have taken doxycycline many times with probiotics.

jazzlover

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »
GSE and oregano are good if you can tolerate them. I know I can't...esp the GSE.

Prevention is key .. and that is what probiotics do.

valene2009

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 07:01:14 PM »
thanks again everyone..and for the other advise on grapefruit extact and that oil.. i am finally feeling better (with the infection).. now my sjogrens..lol.. o well some days i do so good some days are just pitiful....at least on here we can vent to one another right?? today a good day for me so i am happy.. thank God for this board..omg!!