Author Topic: Are digestive enzymes safe?  (Read 5504 times)

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
Are digestive enzymes safe?
« on: June 04, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »
I planned to start taking digestive enzymes to help with bloating and GI problems. I was googling about them and found this statement that said they boost the immune system.

Digestive enzymes can help with digestive problems, but since they help strengthen your body's immune system, then their uses are much broader than just digestion related discomforts. There is a connection between the strength of our immune system and our enzyme level. The more enzymes we have, the stronger our immune system will be. The field of digestive enzyme research is growing and many studies using digestive enzymes can be found in well known journals such as the International Journal of Oncology, Lancet, Digestive Diseases and Sciences, Digestion, International Journal of Immunotherapy, American Journal of Digestive Disease and Nutrition, and many more.

It's the first time I've ever heard of that. The health food store said there was no problem. Any ideas?
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

jazzlover

Re: Are digestive enzymes safe?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 08:19:11 PM »
I would think that the immune boosting would be minimal... and perhaps the payoff would be good. I am taking Gastrex right now and choline to help digest food. It seems to help some. Most digestive enzymes cause my stomach to burn. DR said I may be able to take them later.

Have you tried treating for possible candida/yeast?
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

KellyG999

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:04:57 PM »
I take acidophilus and papaya enzymes which do seem to help my constant stomach issues a bit. I understand the stomachs is the origin of the immune system, so I guess it stands to rein that a positive impact to the gut could benefit overall health in some wy. I dont suspect they are ALL safe, but I buy only in a reputable health food store. Maybe this helps only in my own mind!!

CAT1962

• JER. 33:3
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:57:42 PM »
I take biovanti to help digestion....
Primary SjS, hair loss, achy joints/muscles, dry skin/eyes/nose/mouth/EHEM, Low Vit D, low potass., high CRP, Asthma (Albuterol), CFS, Fibro, RA, thyroid nodules,PN..MED: singulair, cal-mag-zinc, Ibuprohen, NO steroids, NO Plaquenil.

anita

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:17:54 AM »
For a while I took the Rx Pancreaze (pancreatic enzymes) for a bout of autoimmune pancreatitis.  I had no side-effects, just some relief as it aids in digestion.
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

gurs

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 06:25:06 AM »
I take tons of them....i especially like one in powdered form called "Absorbaid"....."Wobenzyme" too. They work on inflammation as well.
They are mostly plant based products. Im allergic to everything, and have no problems what-so-ever.

Gursie
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Spartan1

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 10:09:19 AM »
Hi can't eat without them!! I find the digest gold are the best!! I get them at whole foods~! You can order online too. I have had pancreatic issues and they are making life and digestion difficult. I also use the amazing grass chocolate for smoothies..when my digestion is wrecking havic..I resort to shakes..they have enzmes too. It tastes great. I use I cup vanilla almond milk..no sugar one..1 frozen banana ..one scoop amazing grass and a good organic protein whey powder that is completely natural.

I also think mint tea helps after I eat..

Spartan1

deeindiana

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »
This is all encouraging. The quote I posted above had me a little worried.

The clerk at the healthfood store sold me Garden of Life "Raw Enzymes" for Women 50 and Wiser. I hope it will help. I've been so bloated in my upper stomach lately. Actually is a little hard to breath sometimes because of it. It could just be the weight I gained over the winter with the broken ankle...but something just doesn't feel "right". But I'm so tired of going to the doctor and having them  do "trial and error" on me. I want to try this first.
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil

ohiolady

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »
Deb,

Do report back and let us know if they helped.  It is the only way the rest of us will know and decide whether we want to try.  I take Garden of Life Perfect Food powder to get my fruits and vegetables in every day.  I can't eat raw fruits and vegetables and have to limit my portions so I take this to cover me.

Thanks,

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

Kerrikins

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »
I have pancreas issues as well and without digestive enzymes I get pains under my right ribs anytime I eat a decent sized meal. I take some called Super Enzymes, The brand is called "Now" and it has an orange label. It contains pancreatin, Betaine HCL and many other things. They work wonders for me!

newhorizons

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »
Kerrikins, The Now Super Enzymes you mention in your post have been so beneficial for my STOMACH issues.

Feel it has helped break down the fats, carbs, and protein as advertised on front of bottle. Owner of Natural Foods helps me with my digestional issues. Take just before eating a meal with water has proven most successful for me...usually 2-3 daily.  

Kerrikins, what proves most helpful for you?

Have had IBS in past. Have taken Nature's Way which is a Primadophilus REUTERI Superior Probiotic. This has helped tremendously with the INTESTIONAL and COLON part of digestive.  Take one a day on empty stomach, if possible.Only disadvantage is it must be refrigerated after opening bottle.

WHAT REALLY SETS MY SYSTEM OFF IS STRESS.... statement from a 68 year old that has sure had intestinal issues in my life time...emergency surgery at 26 for 'abdominal blow out' and 9 diverticulitis pockets removed, IBS, colon polyps removed-type that can become cancerous-, and others not diagnosed. And, two rectocele/cystcele repairs with another on the horizon, I feel! ::)

Off to put my Probiotic back in frig...   Worth a try is my humble opinion and please post if you decide to try some and let us know if you find them helpful.

Joy
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:20:46 PM by newhorizons »

Kerrikins

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
Joy, the enzymes definitely help me digest fat and protein as well. Stomach wise, they control my heartburn, which is ferocious without the enzymes and/or Betaine HCL capsules, this is due to hypochlorhydria. Besides hypochlorhydria my gallbladder doesn't empty in a timely manner and my pancreas enzymes are low, or at least they have been in the past, and I don't know if it's one or both of these problems together but either way the enzymes and also betaine help with the horrible stabbing pains. I generally take one enzyme and 1-2 Betaine capsules with meals, and I also take the enzymes as needed between meals to treat heartburn or those pains. I take probably 3-5 enzyme capsules a day and 2-7 Betaine capsules. It really depends on how large and protein rich or fattening the meals are. For instance with Thanksgiving dinner I'll take about 3 Betaine capsules, haha, while with other meals enzymes alone are sufficient.

I just realized I've never mentioned these pains to my rheum, maybe I should. Autoimmune pancreatis and the like have never crossed my mind before now.

jazzlover

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
Ditto on probiotics. I take high doses of them to counter bloating issues from candida.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

deeindiana

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
Just reporting back in with an update. I started using the Garden of Life "Raw Enzymes" for Women 50 and Wiser about two weeks ago. It says on the bottle that I can take up to nine a day, but right now I'm only taking one with each meal and at bedtime if I have a snack (which is pretty darn frequently!).  So far, I haven't noticed much difference in the bloating and pressure. My BMs are more regular (sorry if TMI!) but that's about it. I think I'll up the amount I take and see if it changes anything.
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.

fiddle

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
I have been trying apple cider vinegar for the last month and have noticed a big differences with my "tummy" issues.  Not sure if it's the same thing or not but it has helped me out.
fiddle