Author Topic: BOILS in a private area???  (Read 9270 times)

voiceteacher

Re: BOILS in a private area???
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 08:53:30 AM »
I have had only ONE huge boil there - - at first I was too embarrassed to go the dr (because he is my friend as well - oy) but finally I went and he thought in-grown hair - - gave me anti-biotics.  It didn't work so I went to a dermo and she gave me MORE anti-biotics but said it was an infected boil - - if it didn't go away with the meds, she'd LANCE it!!!!!!!!!!  OMG the thought of lancing anything in that area - - -thankfully, after one month of anti-biotics it did go away - -

Question - - some mentioned it might be due to the dryness - - do any of you have sore, dry, ITCHY skin just above the vagina and in the creases of the legs where the panties (elastic) rest???   I have scratched myself silly and even cut myself by doing so.  I'm on the way to the dermo later today for my yearly check - - I'll ask, but it I'm wondering if it's SJS related.

Voiceteacher

suebrew

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 09:30:02 AM »
Hi Kimberley, so glad you brought up about boils.I suffer from them & had them swabbed,tests always come back negative for any infection.At least I know that they can't be transferred.I use pure teatree essential oil on them.Maybe there is a link with SJS & boils. :-\

irish

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »
Just out of curiosity what kind of panties do you folks wear??? The elastic in the legs will cause bad irritation especially when a person sweats. Try wearing the panties with the high legs---whatever the heck you call them. They are much more comfortable too.

When I bathe I dry good and then put my deodorant on the creases in my groins and under any skin folds on my belly, etc. It helps to cut down on the sweating. Might be worth a try. Also, try using Barbasol or Colgate shaving cream on any skin folds when you shower.

This sounds crazy, but it softens the skin and kills the bacteria in these areas. I use it on my feet also and it seems to help with my dry toes and dryness under the nails. Rinse well. Irish ;D

Just a thought, how many of you are shaving these boil areas cause of wearing other high swim suits, shorts, etc. Might make a difference. Shaving causes irritation.

evamarie

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 08:41:04 PM »
I also get these.  I though I read somewhere that it is common with autoimmune disease and dairy sensitivity.  I tried to find it again and couldn't.  I can tell you that I have found that when I eat a substantial amount of dairy, I would get a boil.  (for example, ice cream a few days in a row)

Meld256

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »
irish,

Again, good info. I had done some research about this because my husband gets these very badly from time to time. He's the type of guy who sweats profusely whenever he works at anything, but showers 3 times a day in hot weather so you'd think he'd be keeping bacteria at bay. His crop up on his inner thigh or buttocks or chest.  Some have been rather large and really painful.

What I think is unusual is that his mother and sister also get these, sometimes at the bra line or on the groin. I found a type of condition that runs in families, which makes people more susceptible. Of course, right now I can't find the link... :P His mother is diabetic, and his sister has another immune condition, but not sure why my husband gets them. And he's not shaving any of these areas.

His is more like a carbuncle, there is more than one. He will think he has one boil, it seems to get better and another pops up right beside it. I read that they are contagious, so good tip about the Barbasol.
If I find that link, I will post it.

irish

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 11:35:32 PM »
Meld, There is another soap that is used for skin infections. I can't remember the name of it right now---phisoderm mayabe or something like that. Oh, might also be hibiclens also. Maybe check with your pharmacist and see what they say.

I don't think that a person needs to use the soap every time when bathing several times a day. That is also something to ask the pharmacist. irish ;D

sass

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »
Yes, It is both...Phisoderm or Hibiclens.  Blusih Green Bottle last time I bought it.  Some in the medicine cabinet now.  Use it to clean any type of open wound or insect bites, etc.  It is really good. 

I have had one boil...2 days after giving birth!! On stitches... Not comfortable...very painful.  Had to be lanced by my doctor.

Corn Starch helps.        sass

Meld256

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 12:19:32 AM »
Thanks, irish and sass...I'll check with the pharmacy.  Sass, your experience does not sound pleasant!

A while back when my husband had one of these, he told his mother how sore it was.  She subscribes to some of the old-fashioned remedies, and told him to "put a potato on it."  She said to cut any kind of fresh potato and hold a piece of the cut side on the boil; it would bring it to a head.  He told her he thought she was a little nutty and it was an old wives' tale. She told him she WAS an old wife and knew what she was talking about.  :D 

Would you believe he'd been in pain for days and when he tried the potato, it worked in a couple hours? These old wives are pretty smart.

seren

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 01:26:15 PM »
Hi,

I have something like boils down there, or they maybe bartholins cysts?. They are hard (ish) lumps on the outer lips (labial majora?) I also have them going towards the back and they grow big then get smaller and disappear.  I am not sure what they are but they are tender and I have them frequently, it seems there is little time elapsed when one goes and another arrives.  I have been tested for Diabetes but am negetive?

Just my experiences.. ;D

Paula

Diane54

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »
I haven't had boils "down there" but I have had them other places....this all started last year before I was diagnosed. I am diabetic and have been for years but the boils just started last June and I was diagnosed in December. Not sure if it is Sjogren's related or not!
Sjogren's diagnosed Dec 20, 2010, Hypothyroid, Diabetes 2, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Mitral Valve  Prolapse, Gerds, Antiphospholipid Syndrome,  Synthroid, Paxil, Prilosec, Evoxac, Plaquenil, Tramadol, Simvistatin, Restasis, Baby Asprin, vitamin D, Januvia, Amlodipine, Gabapentine