Author Topic: BOILS in a private area???  (Read 7356 times)

Kimberley

BOILS in a private area???
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
I don't know why I feel like I can ask such personal questions here but when I finally talked to my DR about boils in my pubic area she said, "aah, that's probably just ingrown hair, come in next time you have one and I'll take a look".  So I did, she prescribed an antibiotic... duh, those are notorious for causing yeast infections... is she that stupid???
So my question is this, anybody else with SJS have these painful bumps?  from now on when something weird happens to my body I'm checking here to see if it is at all related to SJS.

Jellyb

Re: BOILS in a private area???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »
Hi Kim,
The only time I ever had anything like that was when I used to get bikini waxes. I always had some kind of reaction in the form of a lump or sore from that, so I quit waxing.
The sjogren has made my skin over the years, extremely reactive.
I hope someone else has some answers for you.
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »
Kimberly

That sounds really miserable. Have you been tested for diabetes? I'm not trying to scare you, just that I know that boils can be associated with high sugar levels.

Hugs
Kathyx

Kimberley

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »
I don't mind Kathy, ask me anything, how else do we learn.  Diabetes does run in my family and I monitor my sugar levels regularly.  I'm usually Hypo-Glycemic (low sugars) but this phenom has been pestering me for many years, I was afraid to even mention it to any doctor, but as you get older you somehow lose your inhibitions about certain things and you just have to know. It was a stretch to see if it was at all connected with SJS..

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
What I have had, but dreaded to ask is if anyone has delicate sore spots that itch, and bleed easily if scratched around vulva area? :-[

susanep  :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, asthma, Polycystic ovaries, and Gerd. Meds - Pilocarpine, Synthroid, Effexor, Cpap, aspirin, Prilosec, Neurontin, Xanax, eye Drops, vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Proventil- Retired Teacher/Disabled

Katybarstool

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:04:08 PM »
Susan, I'm keeping anm eye on one spot. It doesn't bleed. I've only noticed it for a week or so, but I might get it checked out if it doesn't clear soon. Have a look at picutures of lichen schlerosis, which is another autoimmune condition.

Kim, so have you tesed for sugar recently? I know you can get the dipstick tests from the pharmacy. MIght just be worth doing as a precaution.

Kathyx

Kimberley

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 04:53:22 PM »
I have a glucose monitor... when I say it runs in my family I really mean it. Both Mom and Dad and an Uncle that passed away when I was two.  My father is gone also but not from that, and mom lives with me.  We are aware, very aware.  I also realize that Hypoglycemic is a precursor to full blown diabetes.  I hate the thought but don't have blinders on and I do watch for any signs.  My uncle had the problem with boils, usually on his back or face... :'(

amberjolie1

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
I haven't had any boils lately, but I had a couple when I was younger, and the doc (prescribed, I think) something called bactroban.  I guess it's an anti-bacterial ointment of some sort, and it really worked for me.  My husband's had a few boils since then, and has used the bactroban as well.  I think in my case, the boils were just caused by irritation of the skin; I think they always occurred where the elastic of my underwear met the skin.
37 yr old female; Scleroderma, possible overlap with rheumatoid arthritis and myositis, Sjogren's, Hashimoto's, taking methotrexate, eltroxin, remicade

donnadyer

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »
I don't really have boils.  But I have noticed something that I have been having trouble with since I started having joint pain.  I get really red, irritated and itchy in my pubic area, especially during and right after my period.  For a while, I thought is was a yeast infection and so I took OTC and prescription yeast infection medicine, but it didn't help.  It usually disappears within a few days after my period, but while I'm waiting for it to go away, it even bleeds a little when I wipe.  I know this is not the same thing as what you described, but I was wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.  This only started since I started having all of these symptoms from SJS.

irish

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »
I would ask your doc to do some cultures of your skin in the pubic area. It might be that you have a higher incidence of some bacteria than is normal. Also, have you had your immune system checked to see if your white cells are normal. There is a condition that has low IgG levels which can result in higher incidence of infections.

Go to http://www.primaryimmune.org and see what you can find about immunocompromised conditions. Quite frequently people with AID also have problems with their immune system. Irish ;D

shevonne

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
Ive had them quite often.  I thought maybe it comes from the dryness.  Sometimes its so itchy and then I will put lotion on it and its fine.  But usually when I get them I often get a flare!

amk922

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »
I'm not sure about boils, but there is an AI disease called Behcet's that causes sores in private areas like canker sores.
SJS Diagnosis Feb 2006 (age 26)
Fibromyalgia confirmed June 2011 (age 31)
ANA: 878
Anti-Ro SSA: 741

Managing with 400mg Plaqenil per day and 500mg Naproxen up to 2x/day.  Other medications: Clarinex, Singulair, Cymbalta 30mg, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Lunesta.

Audra

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
 :o I get these too!!
I also put it down to dryness.... they are horrible especially if they are in an area where elastic from panties touch  :o
No suggestions on how to get rid of them  ???
Mine last from days to weeks...

blacksox66

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
Hi,
I have just had one, very painful and swollen until it burst.

irish

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 12:11:36 AM »
For those of you who have these boils please make sure to use good hand washing technique. Generally these boils that occur on the skin are caused by the normal skin staph. If a person is having repeated episodes of these however, you should be seen by the doctor cause you probably will need a course of antibiotic. Do not panic though---just make sure to get it checked out. It is not the norm to have a lot of boils and usually the doc can instruct you in ways to cut down on these infections. Irish ;D