Author Topic: A cure. Please read  (Read 4899 times)

ttdub

A cure. Please read
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
For those who know of dr faustman, this is concerning her research. It may get your hopes up, but you know what? Maybe that's what we need. Also, since the cure is in this vaccine, is it a possibility that taking it could cure us? Just a thought, though probably an ignorant one. Anyway, here's the article:

Australian scientists have identified a new group of immune cells that for the first time directly link two autoimmune diseases, Type 1 diabetes and Sjogren?s syndrome.

Autoimmune diseases arise when the body?s defences become overactive, and instead of attacking invading microbes, it starts to attack itself. In the case of Type 1 diabetes, the body attacks insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. In the case of Sjogren?s syndrome, it attacks its own salivary glands.

Drs Cecile King and Helen McGuire, from Sydney?s Garvan Institute of Medical Research noted particularly high numbers of a unique immune cell in the affected organs of mice with Type 1 diabetes and Sjogren?s syndrome.

In collaboration with Associate Professor David Fulcher from Sydney?s Westmead Hospital, very high levels of these same cells were found in patients with Sjogren?s syndrome.

The newly identified population of cells is a sub-class of ?T helper cells?, white blood cells that help other immune cells perform their tasks. Dr King is calling them ?TCCR9 cells? as they are distinguished from other T helper cells by their co-expression of two molecules: interleukin-21 (IL-21) and a cell surface receptor that is switched on when cells migrate through the gut (CCR9). Her findings are published in the prestigious international journal Immunity, now online.

?We know from our research in mice that if you target these cells, you can completely prevent immune mediated destruction of the salivary glands and pancreas,? said Dr King.

?In other words, you can prevent mice that are genetically programmed to develop Sjogren?s syndrome and Type 1 diabetes from ever developing those diseases.?

?You find these cells in the gut, but there are very few of them in other parts of the body of a healthy person. When the body shifts into disease mode, TCCR9 cells are activated in the gut, and then disseminate to the accessory organs of the digestive system ? the pancreas and salivary glands. Exactly what triggers that process remains unclear.?

?When we looked at 15 patients with Sjogren?s syndrome, we found there was a fivefold increase of these cells in their blood. While very interesting, we would need to analyse a much larger cohort for this figure to signify a general trend.?

?So we intend to extend our study of patients with Sjogren?s syndrome, as well as establish whether or not there are similarly expanded populations of these cells in people with Type 1 diabetes. This will determine whether these cells could become a biomarker of disease as well as a therapeutic target for patients with both with Type 1 diabetes and Sjogren?s syndrome.?

ABOUT GARVAN

The Garvan Institute of Medical Research was founded in 1963.  Initially a research department of St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney, it is now one of Australia's largest medical research institutions with over 500 scientists, students and support staff. Garvan's main research programs are: Cancer, Diabetes & Obesity, Immunology and Inflammation, Osteoporosis and Bone Biology, and Neuroscience. The Garvan's mission is to make significant contributions to medical science that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. The outcome of Garvan's discoveries is the development of better methods of diagnosis, treatment, and ultimately, prevention of disease.

ttdub

Re: A cure. Please read
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
It seems when I pasted it, it replaced apostrophes and other pynctuations with question marks. Sorry about that.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
I read this from another link. I do not remember where. Before human trials are allowed it may be 60 years. Finding these specific cells is important. I wonder what other purposes they have in the body. What causes them to multiple in our gut? Do they school like fish and bacteria? How long will the additional research take?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

ttdub

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »
I read this from another link. I do not remember where. Before human trials are allowed it may be 60 years. Finding these specific cells is important. I wonder what other purposes they have in the body. What causes them to multiple in our gut? Do they school like fish and bacteria? How long will the additional research take?
What do you mean 60 years? Dr faustman is awaiting money to begin human trials. Hopefully in the next year or 2.

Nancy60

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »
This does sound hopeful, but Joe is right, the additional research could take years before they would ever approve doing a vaccine study on human subjects.  while the mouse physiology is similar in many ways to humans, it is also very different and researchers would want a much better understanding of how and why these cells do what they do before trying to develop something that might work in humans.  I also read the actual research article just published in Immunology - interesting, but pretty technical too...

But each step gets us closer to a cure or an effective treatment!

Nancy

ttdub

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »
This does sound hopeful, but Joe is right, the additional research could take years before they would ever approve doing a vaccine study on human subjects.  while the mouse physiology is similar in many ways to humans, it is also very different and researchers would want a much better understanding of how and why these cells do what they do before trying to develop something that might work in humans.  I also read the actual research article just published in Immunology - interesting, but pretty technical too...

But each step gets us closer to a cure or an effective treatment!

Nancy
You should really google dr faustman.

amberjolie1

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
That would be wonderful; if too late for those of us who already have it, maybe our kids and/or grandkids would be able to avoid getting it.

Jozee

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:24:58 PM »
I think it's fabulous news and I'm very excited whether it's 2 years, 20 years or 60 years...it's progress and someone will benefit from it. Hopefully us but if not I am happy for those who receive it!!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 10:53:46 PM »
I may be wrong but I think that several years ago someone posted something about this doctor. It does take forever to get the funding for research that is for sure. Also, the others are right, there are many types of research that is ongoing by many different people.

It would be surprising if one person could solve the problem---nice---but surprising. The medical world is just now starting to be interested in sjogrens so I would bet that there will be a lot more research going on. The thing that I still wonder about is the significance of sjogrens. I have read that some researchers are wondering if sjogrens is the key to all the other autoimmune diseases. Sjogrens is so all encompassing compared to what the docs thought 50 years ago---heck--even 15 years ago.

It would be awesome if they could find the "key" that turns on this autoimmune beast. Do not despair if we don't all sound optimistic about a sudden influx of funds but just remain hopeful and pray. THat is all one can do. Thanks for the article. Irish ;D

ttdub

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:02:13 AM »
That would be wonderful; if too late for those of us who already have it, maybe our kids and/or grandkids would be able to avoid getting it.
Dr faustmans cure reverses the damage done.

ttdub

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:05:25 AM »
What do you mean by the all encompassing part of your reply Irish?

I think I should have posted more on dr faustman than anything. I undrestand that after countless years of disappointments, it has left everyone hopeless, and resistant to have hope for the fear of letdown, but without hope, what are we?

Dr. Faustman is the research we should all be looking at. She is done with phase one. She has proven to cure mice with type 1 diabetes and reverse the damage in late stage mice. This may not seem incredible to some due to the difference in disease, but It has been proven to work with sjogrens from other researchers. She also plans on moving to other autoimmune diseases after the hopefull success of the diabetes cure if I understand her correctly.

Just please, don't give up hope.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:20:34 AM by ttdub »

SueAnn

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 03:07:06 AM »
I posted this a couple of weeks ago, but only the links.  You can follow Dr. Faustman on Facebook and get up dates.  Dr. Faustman's main area of research is Type I Diabetes, but has also taken an interest in Sjogrens and other AI's.    Yes, she needs more money and that might take years, but the drug that she has been working with is BCG which is already an FDA approved drug, so it should not take as long as other. 

This is what she says on her Facebook page:

"Research from other labs has shown that our type 1 diabetes reversal method can reverse Sjogren's syndrome in mice, and our human blood work shows that both diseases might benefit from TNF-boosting treatments like BCG. While our focus remains on type 1 diabetes, I am excited to see more research - like this Australian study - that also supports a link between these two diseases". 

She has given me more hope than anyone else.

SueAnn
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

DragonflyC

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 07:12:30 AM »
All encompassing = more than just dry eyes and mouth

ttdub

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:54 AM »
I agree sueann. It's incredible!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:22 AM »
I think the "negative" that you are seeing from some of us old timers is because we have heard this song and dance so many times before. One of the cures that was being promoted a few years back was based on the doctors own urine. Of course there was a limited supply so it was expensive. People went into debt for the cure (they were not told that it was derived from the doctors urine). They went off the meds that had been working for them. They lost everything. A couple of my friends bought into this 'snake oil'. One died.

I am taking a "wait and see" attitude. As with all science there has to be peer review. While I do not like the current peer review system, I still believe that peer experiments must produce the same or similar results. As an example, I have seen a working cold fusion cell. Others that tried to duplicate it did not use the same equipment wired in the same manner and their experiment did not work. Their are now working, duplicate systems in Italy and Japan. They are in the labs and trying to figure out how this technology can be mass produced to take a position in our international energy future. Who knows when it will reach the public. Who knows when it will be a safe technology (it currently uses some very toxic chemicals).

Keep an eye on the research and the researcher. This may provide a solution. Yes it can be incredible.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism