Author Topic: Why won't ibuprofen or naproxen work?  (Read 8596 times)

amberjolie1

Why won't ibuprofen or naproxen work?
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »
At the outset, just wanted to make sure you understood that I did not take ibuprofen and naproxen at the same time...remembered from another post someone saying how dangerous that was.

But, what I've found is that it doesn't seem to matter if I try ibuprofen (tried both 400mg and 600 mg, at different times, of course), or the over-the-counter naproxen, they don't seem to touch the pain.  Which seems odd to me.  You'd think they would at least take the edge off.  And compared to a lot of you on here, I don't think my pain is quite as severe, so I would have assumed something would work.

My big thing is at night.  I want to last a night without feeling my ankles or knees in a lot of pain when I try to move or straighten them.  But it doesn't matter what I take before I go to bed, I still get that.

I had a couple of instances where I'd have a good night and think that maybe the med was working, only to find the next night was no good again.  So it was just a fluke.

Anyone else find that these medications don't work for them?  I'm not someone who normally takes painkillers for things, so if anything, you'd think they'd work better because I don't have a tolerance built up for them yet.  Or maybe my pain tolerance is high, and I'm more severe than I realize?  Or maybe it's just the type of pain (although I can't see how that would matter; a painkiller of any sort should at least bring pain down a bit)?

Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Rose G

Re: Why won't ibuprofen or naproxen work?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »
Hi,  I was wondering if I was the only one with this issue.  Before I got SS, Ibuprofen was my go to pain reliever, and it never let me down.  Headache, muscle pain, joint pain, it always helped.  Now no pain drugs work on me what so ever.  I tell my husband and he looks at me in disbelief.  He says nothing seems to help any of your pains, that doesn't make sense.  I say I agree but it is true.  Not Ib, not naproxen, not Tylenol....none of it.  Even bigger guns like prescription pain pills.  It must have something to do with SS because they worked before.  Of course, now is when I really need that and they don't work.  I am going to show your post to my husband so he can see I am not the only one with this issue and it is true!!  Thanks for this, sorry that you too have this issue, but glad to see I am not the only one.
SS, gastroparesis, Lisonopril, protonix, multivitamin, calcium with D3, ambien cr.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:08:40 AM »
Or maybe it's just the type of pain (although I can't see how that would matter; a painkiller of any sort should at least bring pain down a bit

Unfortunately that's not completely true...one form of pain, neuralgia (pain originating in and/or from the nerve) can be very resistant to analgesics, both OTC and Rx. This is the type of pain treated with various anti-seizure or antidepressant drugs for their central (brain and nervous system) action.

Definitely worth a mention to your doctor and hopefully to a neurologist.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

amberjolie1

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »
I did see a neurologist recently and had a nerve conduction test, but the conclusion had been that I just had a mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome.  However, I will give her office a call and mention this, to see if she has anything to say about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

dewing

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
is it possible that you may have meniscus tears in your knees. I take tramadol and prednisone and they truly help with most of my aches and pains Except the knees. I get cortisone shots in my knees to help alleve the aches due to the tears and arthritis. When that stops working the next step will be surgery to trim the tears and file down the arthritis, not looking forward to it. (before I started with the shots I was given Mobic - it is a time release version of ibuprophen and worked much better than the otc kind.) hope this helps.

gsmraxe

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »
I've been taking Naproxen (500mg 2x a day)  while I wait to go back to the Dr next week.  Not working for joint pain on me.  Ibuprofen doesn't work either, but it does work for sinus headaches and swelling.
Ib works for body aches for me too...

My joints are still stiff & achy on naproxen...The stuff doesn't even work on sore muscles from exercise.  What does it work on?

amk922

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »
I've been on prescription Naproxen for about 4 years. I don't feel like it works all that well, but I know I feel terrible if I have to stop taking it. Perhaps mental, don't know. Tramadol works pretty well for me.
SJS Diagnosis Feb 2006 (age 26)
Fibromyalgia confirmed June 2011 (age 31)
ANA: 878
Anti-Ro SSA: 741

Managing with 400mg Plaqenil per day and 500mg Naproxen up to 2x/day.  Other medications: Clarinex, Singulair, Cymbalta 30mg, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Lunesta.

amberjolie1

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:30 PM »
Now that I think about it, I can't see how it would be nerve related, since my pain is specifically in my joints (ankles, knees, fingers, wrists, even elbows), and from what I understand, nerve pain runs along the length of the nerve.  And my CRP is on the high side, which would indicate inflammation.

It is possible I could have meniscus tears in my knees, but if so, it wouldn't be my only issue because of the other joints.

And it isn't just pain, but my range of motion has been affected as well.  I used to be double jointed in my fingers, and now I can barely straighten them.  And same thing with my feet; I can't point them anymore, not just because of pain but because I just can't get them to move that far anymore.

Meld256

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 11:01:14 PM »
Hi amberjolie1  ;)

Like Rose, I ONLY took an occasional tylenol or ibuprofen for a headache, muscle ache, etc. before all the new "issues" I've had in the last 2 years, and the generic stuff worked well.  I didn't have pain often and a couple tylenol would kick it just fine.

Now none of that puts a dent in any of my pain. I take Nabumetone (generic Relafen) which seems to help with knee swelling and stiffness, and trazodone for pain overall/to help me sleep. Trazodone is in the antidepressant catogory, so like Linda stated, maybe that's exactly why it works on nerve pain. Also take Savella which is also in the antidepressant line.
I have a lot of joint pain in the knees, fingers, toes, hands and elbows. It is stiffness and also a burning, tingling. Starting on Plaquenil has seemed to begin to help with that.

I'm not sure what the answer for you is, but talking to your doctor about other options sounds like a good idea.  ;)
Take care,
Melinda