Author Topic: Hurts to swallow food .... down the SPINE.  (Read 12254 times)

LizPetillo

Hurts to swallow food .... down the SPINE.
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:47:16 AM »
Here's a strange one.  Now it hurts to swallow food and water.  I'm not talking about the throat.  (that's the usual hurt)  I'm talking it hurts down the back -  my spine and across the back of my shoulders.  It's strange.  This freak'n disease is strange.  Every few weeks something strange and new pops up.  I'm not going to go running to the doctor with it.  He'll just look at me and go ... 'huh.  strange'.    ::)  Just one more thing hurting .....

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Hurts to swallow food .... down the SPINE.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 06:33:24 AM »
It may be a result of irritation of the Vagus nerve, in much the same way that gall bladder problems cause referred pain to the area just under the shoulderblade.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »
I get that too. If i drink a lot of liquid or eat something bulky, I feel it in my back and left shoulder blade area. I did mention it to my rheumy on Mon. And mentioned that i felt like i had a golf ball in my chest sometomes and he said " hmmm" that was it. I like what Linda said, Vagus nerve, at least that explains it. But it is an odd pain.
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

LizPetillo

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »
Vagus nerve.  I'll have to go look it up. 
It's new ..... and odd .... typical sjogrens.
Kinda wonder what's coming next ....

MiJoy

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »
I've had the same type of problem.
I already had my gall bladder out a few years ago, but the pain is similar to that.
My gastroenterologist did a swallowing test & found I have "nutcracker esophagus", basically meaning my esophagus spasms sometimes when swallowing.
Mine is usually mild & doesn't bother me much, so I don't take any meds for it.
There are several meds you can take to help it though if needed.

Hope you find out what's causing your pain soon & can get some relief.

Joy

hikerknees

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
Hi Liz,
I have a similar problem, am convinced it is the vagus nerve because it hurts so much.  Mine seems to be due to GERD, related to the Sjs (or scleroderma, the rheumy likes to scare me) so am on maintenance zantac and prilosec when it flares.  It has helped me, I hope you can find some relief.

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »
Hi,

I have this too and believe it's due to GERD.  I have it enough to know it's not a heart attack.  It usually lasts one-two hours.  I drink too much soda and think that and/or different foods can cause it.  I take Prevacid.  Once this starts, I eat several Tums and try maybe sipping a weak tea.  For sure it hurts.  Have tried hubby rubbing back between shoulder blades and it helps.  Maybe try a heating pad too.   Lucy

dainbramage

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:36:29 AM »
Okay....so i am at the hospital with shortness of breath. I have been tested from CAT scan to PFT to whatever, but not on GERD. Last night I was gurgling (sound coming from my throat, sometimes a click sound) and I wanted to throw up. I have had this for as long as I remembered. Last night was one of the worst, so I googled this and guess what.....it is a sign of GERD. I looked at the symptoms and low and behold:  Shortness of breath, neck pain (I thought it was because I could not breathe and I was using all my muscles to get air in), dry cough, hoarseness, lump in throat and sour taste in mouth (I did not have this yet), and nausea. Hmmmmmm...I got up and took 2 Tums and would you believe it, the gurgling stopped. Seems like those with connective tissue disease can have this. Those with dryness can have this...poor motility of food down the esophagus and stomach not emptying fast enough.  I guess I need to call my GI doctor and make an appointment. Another doctor again.......
44 with SJS, IBSc, migraines, brain fog and fibro. Dry skin, burning tongue, dry mouth, swollen glands, dry female area, numb toes, tingling fingers. On plaquenil, pilocarpine, cymbalta, zyrtec, provigil, vit D, mag, Amitiza for IBS, treximet for migraines.
I Live For Chocolate

Lauralou

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:52:35 AM »
I started having that same pain last week when I ate. It wasn't everytime, but when it happened I'd get kind of a sharp pain all the way down my back when I swallow.

So weird.