Author Topic: Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Sjogren's Syndrome??  (Read 8611 times)

Rai

Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Sjogren's Syndrome??
« on: May 05, 2011, 06:57:25 AM »
Hello, I am 28 yrs Male and finding solutions to my much irritated symptoms. I am suffering from dry eyes from past six to seven years which has cost me to loose many jobs, as I am incompatible in front of Computer Screen. There also happens sometimes that I also feel dry mouth, headache, pain in my body (esp joints..etc). I have struggled a lot to diagnose the disease, but always found myself in vain.

For Sjogren's Syndrome:

1. ANA (ELISA) : Negative
2. SS-A /Ro Antibody: 1.81 U/ml (negative)
3. SS-B /La Antibody: 0.56 U/ml (negative)

I have been to Rheumatologist (DM) and he refused to proceed further. He told me not to worry about it.

Recently, I have been to Oral Pathologist to screen my salivary glands. He pressed and stimulated all the salivary glands with his hands and reports that the saliva is being produced by my glands. But sometimes I do feel dryness which is difficult to manage.

For Hashimoto's Thyroiditis:

1. T3/T4/TSH:  All with in limit.
2. Glucose, Fasting: 91 mg/dl (Ref value: 70-100) Negative
3. Thyroid Autoantibodies (TPO/TMO):  244 IU/ml (Ref value: 0-10) POSITIVE
4. Anti Thyroglobulin (TGA): 279 IU/ml  (Ref value: 0-100) POSITIVE
5. Thyroid Ultra-sound: Both thyroid lobes are mildly enlarged and shows heteroechoic echotexture areas.

After analysis of my reports, My endocrinologist reports that I am suffering from Hashimoto's thyroiditis. He suggested me to wait and  treatment will be only initiated till my T3/T4/TSH starts altering from normal range.

I am upset as what shall I do with my Dry eye syndrome, as it makes me difficult to sit in front of computer terminal. I don't have any refractive surgery done.

My questions are:

1. Can Hashimoto's thyroiditis causes Dry eyes, Dry mouth and some sort of fatigue?

2. Is there any chance that Sjogren's playing any role with my symptoms? (As I have read, out of 10 patients usually 9 are female and 1 is male)

I, thanks, for all of your support and generous suggestions.

cremer

Re: Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Sjogren's Syndrome??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:15:51 AM »
Hello

Being negative for all those Sjogren's tests doesn't mean you dont have Sjogren's, many people on this site are sero negative but still have the disorder. Dry eyes, dry mouth, headaches, aching joints, fatigue are classic signs of Sjogren's syndrome.

There other tests that can be done such as Schirmer test and a lip biopsy, the latter very accurate in determining Sjogrens.

I'm also a male so it does happen to us, but it is rather rare and as you say more woman then men have it.

Can't help you with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis I'm sorry to say.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:18:03 AM by cremer »
Male 48 yrs old
PSjS (Positive SSa & SSb ANA 1:2560, Possible Fibromyalgia and CFS, Triple heart bypass Feb 2011, IBS, brain fog, joint pain, mouth and nose ulcers, paronychia, headaches, and fatigue, Very low WBC count.
Medications : Aspirin, Plaquenil, Bisoprolol, Simvastatin, Vit D, Iron.

ohiolady

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »
I have Hashimotos and my thyroid is still working.  I am also seronegative but have all the classic Sjogrens symptoms.  Due to the increasing number of symptoms my rheumatologist does believe I have Sjogrens.  One thing I would suggest is seeing an opthamologist and getting started on Restasis.  It is a prescription eye drop for the eyes and has helped quite a few of us.  Also, I have punctual plugs.  Getting treated for your symptoms will go along way in helping you cope.

Good Luck.

Anna

SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

Navigator

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »
Hi I have both, the diseases often travel together over time.

Symptoms of Hashimotos include:
slowed reflexes, low body temperature, slow heartbeat, irregular heartbeat, blood pressure irregularities, loss of outer edge of eyebrow hair, coarse, brittle, strawlike hair, loss of scalp, underarm and other body hair, dry skin, dry mucus membranesjaundice, paleness of skin./lips,  puffiness around eyes, slow movement, slow speech, hoarseness of voice, enlarged neck/goiter, swelling of feet.....in addition can have high cholesterol, cold hands and feet, difficulty losing weight, constipation, fatigue, brain fog, pains in joints..particularly the hands and feet, depression. low sex drive,
eye problems....dry and gritty/achy eyes, eyes that are sensitive to light, tinnitus ie ringing in the ears and/or hearing loss, more infections, allergies,sleep apnea, lightheadedness, chronic headaches,   Source "Living Well with Hypothyroidism"

So yes you can see that your symptoms could be related to the hashimotos....it is not always the case that the T3/T4 levels as "normal" actually are at a level where the person feels well.   It is very individualistic.  You might try to doctor again and see if a small dose of synthroid..helps you feel better.

Check out the resourses...ie books from your library to learn more.
Hashimotos, Primary SJS, Celiac
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac, Meloxicam (if needed), Prednizone (if needed),Vit D, Fish Oil, Restasis

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
Hi Rai  :)

Welcome to Sjogren's world.

Hashimotos can wreak havoc on you. Ask for your actual blood test results. Like what number is your TSH? If it is at the high end of the normal range it could make you feel ill. I need to keep mine less than half of the 'normal' range to feel OK.

Navigator describes the classic symptoms of Hashimotos but, as it seems with all autoimmune diseases, we are all very individual. I have Hashimotos. I take 175mg of thyroxine daily. By the time I was dxd my TSH was NOT borderline it was 42 which is a definite high.My heartbeat was never slow - if anything it was faster than normal. I never got puffy eyes. My feet didn't swell nor did I feel cold, in fact I kept having awful hot sweats. I developed diarrhoea rather than constipation.

I certainly was depressed - very. I also had high cholesterol and significant weight gain. I also had the worst brain-fog I've ever had.

If you go to About.com they have a very good thyroid forum there.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
Rai, Welcome to the forum. While I have Sjogren's I do not have Hashimoto's. You can have Sjogren's with out positive blood work. There is lots of good information on this site.

I use Reiki to help me remove the pain from my eyes.

Some of us have put what we are taking in our signatures to help others. I have not been able to take MTX or Plaq. so I use alternative therapies. Simple changes and therapies can make a major difference in the quality of your life. The polar fleece mumps scarf, My breathing meditation, a glass of carrot juice, Spoon Theory, ALA & ALC, Dark cherries are just a few.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
Hashimoto's can definitely mimic Sjogren's. Before my Sjogren's kicked in, I knew I was having a Hashi's flare when my eyes would get really red. I also get terrible joint pain when my TSH is too high.

I highly recommend that you ask for the exact numbers for your TSH, T3, and T4. Also, everyone is different in terms of where they feel best and knowing your numbers will help you determine what's normal for you. For me, I need to keep my TSH between .3 and 1.5. Anything higher, and I'm sick. Some people, however, feel better with a TSH of around 2.

From http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003684.htm : "If you are being treated for a thyroid disorder, your TSH level should be between 0.5 and 3.0 mIU/L."
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Calli66

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
Hi, I have Hashi's and Sjogren's. I've read that with Hashimoto's, it's important to get the TSH quite low---under 1.0, by taking replacement hormone. This suppresses the remaining function of the thyroid gland and can prevent the highs and lows of fluctuating hormones. Many doctors don't understand the importance of doing this, and will not start you on hormones until you're out of range (usually 4.5 TSH and above). Many of us are very symptomatic at levels above 2.0. So depending on your numbers, you may want to get a second opinion about your Hashi's.

I agree with Dragonfly's post.

Calli

Rai

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:24:06 AM »
I thanks all (cremer; ohiolady; Navigator; Scottietottie; Joe S.; DragonflyC; and Calli66) for there generous suggestions.

As per demand, My exact values are:
T3: 2.98  pg/ml (Ref value: 2.30-4.20)
T4: 0.99  ng/dl  (Ref value: 0.89-1.76)
TSH: 3.540 uIU/ml  (Ref value: 0.550-4.780)

For me, I need to keep my TSH between .3 and 1.5. Anything higher, and I'm sick. Some people, however, feel better with a TSH of around 2.

From http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003684.htm : "If you are being treated for a thyroid disorder, your TSH level should be between 0.5 and 3.0 mIU/L."

Is that TSH should be below 3.0 uIU/ml? Please tell how the higher TSH level affects the body and in what way?

CAT1962

• JER. 33:3
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »
I hope you switch Rheumatologists! You can be diagnosed with syptoms alone. I did have a high positive...bloodwork...but have the same syptoms as you! Switch....let us know!!

xoxo
CAT
Primary SjS, hair loss, achy joints/muscles, dry skin/eyes/nose/mouth/EHEM, Low Vit D, low potass., high CRP, Asthma (Albuterol), CFS, Fibro, RA, thyroid nodules,PN..MED: singulair, cal-mag-zinc, Ibuprohen, NO steroids, NO Plaquenil.

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »
3.5 is probably too high for someone with anti-thyroid antibodies. The symptoms would likely be some of those listed by other posters as symptoms of hypothyroidism.
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
Hi again  :)

My endocrinologist asked my GP to keep my TSH between 0.5 and 2. She said it didn't matter if my T4 was at the high end of normal. If my TSH is over 2 - I feel ill.

Take care - scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Catilee2

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »
Dear Rai,
     Welcome to the forum!!! I have pSS but not Hashi's. However, I have two cousins with Hashimoto's and a niece with it. Both disorders can make life unmanageable at times.  When I talk with them, the symptoms they sometimes describe are very similar to mine.  I hope you find some Dr.s who will take your concerns seriously.

Catilee 2

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 08:31:21 PM »
I don't know about dry eyes but Underactive Thyroid DOES cause dryness. I'm a gal by the way.

Pale skin, very dry brittle hair and delayed reflexes (plus the bloodwork) when I went in and got diagnosed for underactive thyroid.  I had a lot of tiredness to but I had a period that lasted 2 weeks - that and the blood test sent me to the hospital.
Course after I got out of the hospital, I had a bunch of fatigue too as I had to get "built up" again. Gosh I think it was a month before I got back close to being normal. It was about a year for them to get my thyroid levels normal. If it is too high I know you get baaad hot flashes cause I sure did..

Hope this helps your question.

Rai

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »
 :)Thanks Catilee2 and Pisces24 for your thoughts. It did helped me.