Author Topic: What do you take Alpha Lipoic Acid for?  (Read 4332 times)

MiJoy

What do you take Alpha Lipoic Acid for?
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:27:44 PM »
My dentist had me try taking Alpha Lipoic Acid to see if it would help my burning mouth syndrome.

I've tried it for about 3 months now, but it hasn't helped.

I see some of you take it though &
was wondering why you take it & what it helps with?

Just trying to decide if I should stop taking it or not.

Thanks bunches,

Joy

Kerrikins

Re: What do you take Alpha Lipoic Acid for?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »
I heard on this forum that ALA stops excessive hair shedding. I've been taking it, along with 1mg of biotin for 2 months, and have noticed no difference. I've not been feeling well at all since February though and that makes my hair come out so maybe it doesn't help disease activity related hair problems. Just maybe it will help when I feel better, who knows... It makes my urine smell gross though, Thats one effect i have noticed! Otherwise, it's supposed to be a good antioxidant, and remove toxins (or metals or something like that) from your body. I'm also debating on whether to keep taking it. I may give it a few more months just to be sure.

anita

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »
ALA is an antioxidant that can (for some people) help with neuropathy...which is likely the cause of your burning mouth.

Do some research on ALA.  You'll find that R lipoic acid (a form of ALA) that is the ONLY part of ALA that can be absorbed by the body, so this is all you really need and you can take small doses of R lipoic acid to get the same amount in high doses of ALA.

Not all people have positive results...but many do.  It all depends on WHAT is causing the neuropathy to begin with.  There are over 100 causes of neuropathy.  Trying ALA or R lipoic acid may affect your blood sugar levels, so if you have diabetes or blood glucose issues, use caution.

It's nice to hear that your dentist encourages you to try this...many doctors don't look at supplements.

50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:34:57 PM »
I take Acetyl L carnitine to repair mitochondria DNA
I take Alpha lipoic Acid to remove the garbage from the repair. I helps to remove junk from your system which is why my Neuro recommend it an ALC as well as B-12 for neuropathy.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

KellyAnnD

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
I take R-lipoic Acid because it was the highest rated supplement for diabetics in the book Diabetes Without Drugs and is supposed to help improve glucose levels in diabetics.  I will say that I was only able to get my A1C level down to 5.8 with severe carb restriction and a few months after adding the RLA to my low-carb lifestyle, it was down to 5.5 after the Doctor said he thought i'd never be able to get it below 5.8 again.  I can't be sure about cause and effect, but I suspect it was the addition of that supplement that helped bring my glucose levels down to normal levels. 
Undiagnosed sero-negative, symptom positive for Sjogren's. Pre-diabetes currently managed with carb restriction and exercise.

meow

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:33 PM »
I heard on this forum that ALA stops excessive hair shedding. I've been taking it, along with 1mg of biotin for 2 months, and have noticed no difference. I've not been feeling well at all since February though and that makes my hair come out so maybe it doesn't help disease activity related hair problems. Just maybe it will help when I feel better, who knows... It makes my urine smell gross though, Thats one effect i have noticed! Otherwise, it's supposed to be a good antioxidant, and remove toxins (or metals or something like that) from your body. I'm also debating on whether to keep taking it. I may give it a few more months just to be sure.
Change that biotin to 5 mg, and you'll see something.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

Kerrikins

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to look into the higher dose of biotin! That will get expensive but its well worth it if it works!!

jazzlover

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 06:15:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if you are sensitive to the nightshades, the ALA will do the same thing to you. (cause pain, etc)
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

Kerrikins

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 06:22:23 PM »
Well, boo! I am already taking 5mg of biotin. For some reason I thought 5,000mcg equaled 1 mg, don't know why. At any rate, it isn't doing anything for me. I'm one of those unfortunates who loses hair in relation to disease activity and I guess nothing stops it :( I'm probably going to keep taking it though just because it can't hurt and who knows, I've felt so bad recently that maybe it does help and I would be worse off without it...Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
KellyAnnD, I read a report that linked a high ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 with insulin resistance. Corn has the highest levels of omega 6. So they suggested that if you want to reduce your insulin resistance you reduce your intake of margarine and corn oil. That should include corn fed meat according to the study. (search omega-6 and insulin resistance)

Maybe we can learn to live on air but the pollution could prove to be hazardous to our health. :)
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

anita

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:30:38 PM »
Like KellyAnn said (and I touched on earlier), it can drop your glucose level.  It's actually quite effective in this area, but be careful if you're diabetic to check your levels before using insulin.

As for what Jasslover said;  ALA and R lipoic "can" stimulate nerve activity in some people so start low and work your way up.
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

dainbramage

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »
I have burning mouth and my ENT gave me a prescription for smart mouthwash. This has helped tremendously.
44 with SJS, IBSc, migraines, brain fog and fibro. Dry skin, burning tongue, dry mouth, swollen glands, dry female area, numb toes, tingling fingers. On plaquenil, pilocarpine, cymbalta, zyrtec, provigil, vit D, mag, Amitiza for IBS, treximet for migraines.
I Live For Chocolate

MiJoy

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 09:20:12 PM »
Thank you thank you for all the great info.

Interesting thing is this week I accidentally did an experiment on the ALA because I just realized that I forgot to include it in this week's pill box.
(I prepare all of my daily pills for a week at a time.)

And my burning mouth has been MUCH worse in the past couple of days, SO maybe it's working better than I thought it was.

I have burning mouth and my ENT gave me a prescription for smart mouthwash. This has helped tremendously.

What's smart mouthwash?
My gastro dr. prescribed a mouthwash concoction several months ago that didn't work, can't remember what it had in it.

dainbramage

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 06:17:08 AM »
Try asking your ENT for the mouthwash, not gastro...it sooths my mouth.  It has lidocaine, niastatin, and other things. My son used it when he burned his mouth and he said it was fantastic. I will find out what is in it.
44 with SJS, IBSc, migraines, brain fog and fibro. Dry skin, burning tongue, dry mouth, swollen glands, dry female area, numb toes, tingling fingers. On plaquenil, pilocarpine, cymbalta, zyrtec, provigil, vit D, mag, Amitiza for IBS, treximet for migraines.
I Live For Chocolate

dainbramage

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »
I read the bottle and it said Stanford mouthwash.
I Live For Chocolate