Author Topic: CNS, migraine aura, seizure, anxiety, or just some weird occurrence?  (Read 5290 times)

dbab

I had a really weird experience last week and I was reluctant to post about it because I was afraid to sound silly but thought that its better to sound silly than to ignore a possible something.  I'm actually going to bring this up in my Neuro appt on the 27th but wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

The other day I was driving totally relaxed on my way home when out of the blue I felt a horrible head rush.  It's very hard to explain and this will sound silly but it felt like my concentration or that 'part of my brain' was floating out of the back of my head - no pain though.  (ok, I'm not crazy but I don't know how else to say it).  Then my entire body got a neuropathy feeling with pins and needles going through my body.  I started to feel slightly OFF and somewhat dizzy although I wasn't.  I continued to drive - although now I realize I should have pulled over but I was so frightened I just wanted to get home.  It went away slowly after maybe 20 seconds and I popped a low dose xanax that I take for my neuralgia headaches to calm me down from the episode as I was shaken up.

I started to think that maybe it was a very strong migraine aura but I never got a headache or any other migraine symptoms from it.  And after I recovered fully from being shaken up, I was completely fine.  I thought maybe anxiety but nothing triggered and I was as calm as can be.  I had anxiety years ago and it never felt that way before that I remember.

Anyone experience anything like this?

amberjolie1

Re: CNS, migraine aura, seizure, anxiety, or just some weird occurrence?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
I haven't have anything like that, but I think you should probably talk to a doctor about it, just to rule out anything that needs to be addressed right away.

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:20:52 PM »
Yikes, Dbab!  I agree with Amber.   Check it out, please!
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »
Not sure about seizure, but I have had the reset.
The rules from the chronic pain support group that I remember.
1. Don't Panic.
2. Breathe.
3. Be kind to yourself.

bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

dbab

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:56:11 AM »
Thanks amber, cheryl, and joe.  I'm going to wait for my appointment UNLESS this happens again between now and then.  Whats kind of scary is that no one has responded that they have had this before so its not a typical symptom.

sage

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:28:18 AM »
dbab: "it felt like my concentration or that 'part of my brain' was floating out of the back of my head - no pain though......"

dbab: I didn't reply earlier, because I figured my input would not be very relevant.  However, I did have this experience when I had a nuclear stress test (to detect heart problems).  I had told them I was very sensitive to many drugs and meds, and they asked me what I was experiencing at all times during the test.  At one point, when they asked me, I said "it feels like my brain is at the back of my head" expecting the usual blank stare response - however, they assured me that this was one of the "normal" reactions.  However, they did stop the test after that also - perhaps based on the results they were getting - not sure.  I did ask what the solution was that they injected and they replied "adenosine" - for what that is worth, I have no idea, but just wanted you to know that I have experienced something similar.  I was also glad that I had a friend to drive me home as I had a very spacy feeling afterwards for a while.  All the best, and I hope you don't have any more episodes - these things can be so scary and not knowing what level of seriousness - I would maybe even call your doctor and speak with the nurse - check your blood pressure etc.

Chickpea

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:52:08 AM »
It's always a good idea to mention any sort of neuro issue to your neurologist, however 'odd' it may seem.  It's difficult for us to know what's relevant and what isn't.

In my humble opinion it sounds like an adrenalin rush.  The sense that the thinking part of you was floating away coupled with tingling in your limbs are classic 'flight or fight' symptoms.  These are normal in stress situations, but you say you were completely relaxed so there could be all sorts of causes.  Definitely worth a chat with the doctor, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Joe's rules for pain management are just the right thing in this situation - maybe they'd serve as a SjS mantra?!

Thinking of you - Chickpea

season

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »
Yes, I have these. My first experience was maybe ten years ago and I am still dealing with it. So, mine hasn't diminished or gone away. I just deal with as best as I can. It is a feeling like no other and scary too.

Sometimes I wonder if it has something to do with "Autonomic" or a temperature change in my body. It is like something is happening so fast, my brain can't process it.

At first when these started to happen, I went to several doctors and told them how I was feeling as I wanted an explanation. The only thing I got back was it could be a "panic attack" or I was given a blank stare and a shrugging of the shoulder.

I do hope you can find an answer.

gurs

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:31:40 AM »
Ive had a few of these episodes..the first one set me to the hospital. I thought I was having a stroke, felt like i was going to pass out.
I think its sjogrens related, vascular problem..Seem to get them when I flare more, but I also have aura migraines so that is prob part of it, and then
comes the anxiety with the migraines? uhhhhhh, I have the pins/needles-neuro pain all over my body constant for the last 4 years. Im sure its a problem
with my blood flow-all started after my hysterectomy and went into instant menopause. Its been just a nightmare-debilitating.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

dbab

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 06:59:01 AM »
Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it really helps!  I am going to bring this up to my Neuro but from your replies, it almost seems like it was some type of panic thing (I guess you can have this without panicking?) or maybe some kind of vascular or autonomic disorder.  My appt is on the 27th so we'll see what she says, hopefully whatever it is she has some kind of relief because I don't want to experience that again.

dbab

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
Hi everyone,  

I just wanted to give an update since I just got back from the Neuro.  Well I explained to her exactly like I explained here and she thinks that given my history that it sounds like sensory auras contributed by my migraines.  She says that it is not uncommon to not have the headache to acompany it.  She did note that since I did have a seizure at one time, that she didn't want to rule that out completely however she is very cautious as to label it as such due to the implications of having multiple seizures in your chart without being absolutely sure plus she is really more convinced its due to migraines.  I am to fill out a daily headache log and visit her back in a month.

edited because I really need to proofread my grammar before hitting send LOL
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:13:25 PM by dbab »

Chickpea

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
Thanks for sending us the update - I'd been wondering how you're doing. 

Your neuro sounds very sensible and thorough.  Migraines are odd things and it seems they cover a multitude of symptoms.  The headache log is a good idea - will you include other symptoms as well as headaches?  Things like tingles and pins and needles, feeling dizzy, and maybe brain fog?

How do you feel about the issue of seizures?  It seems the neuro's caution is in your best interest at the moment:  she's not limiting her investigation, just seeking to protect you.  It's good you've found her!

Take care - Chickpea

gurs

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 04:24:59 AM »
I just had another episode like yours and still having one..seems It starts with a migraine, my entire body hurts soooo bad, pins and needles-neuropathy galore all over..have chronic head/facial pain and my face swells and turns red, I noticed when these episodes happen, my fingers start turning blue-possibly the raynauds going nuts? something vascular that is for certain and I feel like im in a  sjogrens/lupus flare..upset stomach/dizziness/just super ill feeling. So, im wondering if the autoimmune is triggering the vascular stuff? you know, the migraines and my raynauds etc...I touched a can of cold pop 2 days ago and my fingertip is still blue and cold..this has happend before..
Very interesting...I just keep taking more motrina and medrol to see if I can get through this...hope you can find some relief or answers. I think its a flare and inflammation of the blood vessels cause alot of my symptoms anyways. Im going to get some labs done to see if it may show any change in the autoimmune.

gursie

52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

dbab

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »
Yes Chickpea, My Neuro is awesome!  She was actually referred to me by another member here a LONG time ago and I've been seeing her for a while.  I did some readup on migraines and seizures and it's scary how much connection they have, especially with the auras and such.  I did have an absent seizure a year or so ago but not since then (that I'm aware of... you usually aren't aware that you have them unless you are with someone who notices).

Gurs,  Your theory is very interesting and I wouldn't write it off as a possibility.  Migraines are inflammation and migraines are common in people with connective tissue diseases.  I know my headaches are more prevelant when I'm flaring or when other parts of my body are inflammed so the connection makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:06:50 AM by dbab »