Author Topic: Swollen Glands on one side, stiff neck  (Read 8070 times)

Lauralou

Swollen Glands on one side, stiff neck
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »
Has anyone ever had a stiff neck and swollen glands on one side front and back? I know it's not a cold or anything, I don't have cold or sinus infection symptoms.

I noticed yesterday my neck felt a little stiff and sore. Today its gotten more stiff and sore to turn throughout the day and the glands on the left side of my neck in the front (under the jaw) and back of neck are swollen more than usual.  My fingers and toes feel tight an swollen like I've overdone it on salty stuff the day before, but I've been sticking to a fairly good diet and don't eat a lot of salty stuff anyway.

Last week was a little stressfull, along with the weekend so there's a good chance it's part of a flare up.

Has anyone else had a stiff neck during a flare up?

joe s

Re: Swollen Glands on one side, stiff neck
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:21:35 PM »
Try heat?

amk922

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
Yes, one of my main flare symptoms is stiffness in my neck, left side mostly. I use a neck wrap with rice that I can heat up in the microwave to put on it for 15 or so minutes. It loosens up a bit, but I typically have to resort to one of my pain meds to really relieve the stiffness and pain.
SJS Diagnosis Feb 2006 (age 26)
Fibromyalgia confirmed June 2011 (age 31)
ANA: 878
Anti-Ro SSA: 741

Managing with 400mg Plaqenil per day and 500mg Naproxen up to 2x/day.  Other medications: Clarinex, Singulair, Cymbalta 30mg, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Lunesta.

newhorizons

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:53:26 PM »
Yes, On right side. I rub under jawline up to jaw joint on front and back of ear area with Vick's salve and then put a flannel scarf (soft blanket) around my head and sleep with it.

Keeps area warm and usually in morning feels much better.

I, too, think stress is part of the 'mixture.' :(

Bottom line:  Just something warm to area for period of time. ;)

Meld256

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:07:19 PM »
I always get a stiff neck with a flare. Rather, it is more stiff than usual.

Good advice here already, so again, some heat may help. A hot shower sometimes helps mine. I've become a fan of good old-fashioned Epsom Salt, and there is a brand out there called Dr. Teal's Therapeutic Solutions.  They make a Mint and Rosemary type and you might find it in a Kroger if you have one, Walgreen's or possibly CVS.

If the stiffness and soreness doesn't resolve over a few weeks, you may want to let your doctor know. I had this for quite some time and it turned out to be a partoid infection. Most likely, yours is a flare and hope it improves soon! Stiff and sore necks are no fun...
Take care,
Melinda
57, female, Sjogren's dx 09/2010, Fibromyalgia and CFS dx 04/2009, meds: Savella, trazodone, Relafen, Plaquenil, Restasis, FreshKote eye drops, Bepreve drops, Optive Refresh, Biotene OTC products, retired/SS 12/2010

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

dainbramage

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »
I like heat and massage. If unbearable see your doctor. Some say suck on sugar free candy...I can't cause my neuro said get off all sugar free and lite foods with chemicals. He said manitol and the others can cause our autoimmunity to exacerbate and be worse. So I got rid of my lite, fat free foods and splendas and others. (splenda uses chemicals to make it like sugar)
44 with SJS, IBSc, migraines, brain fog and fibro. Dry skin, burning tongue, dry mouth, swollen glands, dry female area, numb toes, tingling fingers. On plaquenil, pilocarpine, cymbalta, zyrtec, provigil, vit D, mag, Amitiza for IBS, treximet for migraines.
I Live For Chocolate

Lauralou

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:48:22 PM »
Thank you everyone!

Neck and glands are better. Still a little swollen, but better. I'm putting a heating pad on our shopping list, I think that may have help.

It wasn't too bad, just a little uncomfortable. The swollen glands and stiff neck without the usual cold symptoms threw me off, didn't feel right.

I'm trying to get rest and help calm down the flare by the rest and taking it easy. Have a nice relaxing weekend with the boyfriend who will take good care of me is planned.  ;D