Author Topic: Tooth extraction on Monday!  (Read 16305 times)

Meld256

Re: Tooth extraction on Monday!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »
I did my part for Sjogren's Awareness today! ;D 

I asked the dental asst. I saw today if they had other Sjogren's patients besides myself.  He said, "I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that at all and I should know. Enlighten me!"  So I gave him a quick rundown that it's a chronic autoimmune disease, and there is no cure. It attacks our moisture-producing glands, and has affected my eyes and mouth severely in a matter of 2 years.

He said, "Interesting. I'll do some online research. So you have Dry Mouth? I know what that can do..." He explained a little about what he knew about saliva and enzymes, and the problems caused by that. He asked if I had systemic issues. Told me he saw in my chart about my thrush I battled for weeks, and I told him that's why, and the reason my teeth decayed in a matter of about 18 mths. I told him I had fatigue, stiffness and joint problems. And he said he could imagine Sjogren's can mimic or be mistaken for many other things. Yep...you "get it", buddy!  ;)

I've got an interested party in my dentist office! Yeah!! ;D

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »
Hey Melinda,

You ask about me being in the dental field. This has been a great awareness for our office. Ironically, when I was diagnosed in 2007, I had been in the dental field (assisting) for over 15 years and.......I had never heard of it. When my Rhuemy nurse informed me I had Sjogrens, I did not have a clue what she was telling me. In fact they informed me by letter. I had to call them and ask.

Because my dentist (buddy and boss) whom I have worked with for 9 years, he knew I was waiting for the test results. When he called me, I said, well I think this is something you should know about. He did, he is a very caring and compassionate dentist.
When I came into work, he put me on a computer site of the Sjogrens foundation. He also told me, we have several Sjogrens patients. When they came in the office, he would tell me and encourage me to go and talk to them about it.

We have received phone calls from potential patients, asking if this was the office that had a Sjogrens staff member.
I consider it a blessing to be in the dental field. And a privilege to care for and inform our patients, with the comfort that I have received from this great sjoggie forum- SJW  

Keep informing your dentist of any adjustments, so you don't develop sore spots.
In about 6 months you will probably need to reline, as you will have healed and  then you will get a better fit.

Hugs, kimbo

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:22:03 PM by kimbo »
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Meld256

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 11:44:06 PM »
Hi kimbo,

I'm sure you've been a great help to your patients. My sister was a dental asst. for years and now a med. asst. for 15 yrs. and she had never heard of Sjogren's.  Now she knows and is a great encouragment to me.

I heard the word from a great nurse practitioner in my former primary's office. After a few months of trying to help me with the crazy fatigue, burning pain and muscle aches I had, she mentioned it one day.  She said she noticed my teeth had deteriorated more in the few weeks since she'd seen me, and she'd been researching Sjogren's Syndrome.  One of their other patients had been diagnosed so she was learning all she could.  Smart lady! Turned out she was right about me.

Sounds like you work with an awesome dentist. New patients must be thrilled to know you are there to understand. Sounds like the word has gotten around about you! Just meeting someone else with this is a big deal...I haven't yet.  I'm sure you are a blessing to them.
Thanks for your tips!
Hugs,
Melinda

Meld256

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 11:03:31 PM »
Yeah!
 Today, 4 days post-extraction my facial swelling has gone down significantly.  The last 2 days I've felt pretty rough; more than I want to admit, I guess. Bending over was not pleasant. 

I had quite a bit of drainage last night and today from my gums that would slime up under my denture (sorry, that's rather gross). Apparently this is from infection that was having a big party in my gums under the teeth. Now that the teeth are gone, it has a way out.  I'm just sorry I gotta taste it.  :P

Maybe by Monday's appt. with dentist I'll be over some of this. p.s. I was able to handle some nice, moist tuna salad today; first protein since Sunday and it tasted awesome!  ;)

Katybarstool

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
Melinda

That must feel wonderful, after all the swelling and pain from the last few days.

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 12:25:58 PM »
Melinda - glad to hear the swelling has gone down.   :D

I'm sorry you are having to deal with the yucky taste of the draining of your teeth infection.  It's no wonder you haven 't felt good with that infection trapped below your teeth.   :o

At least now it has a way to drain.  Hopefully, as that infection clears up, you will feel a whole lot better.

I had a bunch of teeth infections the last year before my teeth were pulled.  I'm glad those days are behind me.

Each day it will get a little bit better.   :D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Meld256

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 10:49:20 PM »
Thanks, Kathyx, yes, it's really nice for my face not to hurt so badly!  :D

Thanks, Bucky. The "draining nasties" are just that: nasty, but I know that's a good sign that it's leaving my body. I've felt ever since we began planning this that I would HAVE to feel better overall once my decaying teeth came out. I knew they were harboring lots of bacteria.
I'm glad your tooth infection days are behind you; must feel better!

I've gotten good at taking out the denture. I'm taking it out about 3 times a day, brushing and rinsing it, rinsing my mouth and putting it back in right away. Trying my best to keep things as clean as possible.

I'm pretty sure the thrush is back, unfortunately.  Yesterday I had some white patches on my tongue and some soreness. This morning there was a thick, white stripe down the middle of my tongue, like a skunk!  :D  At least I know what to do: when I go to the dentist Monday, I'll ask to get on some Nystatin mouthwash right away.
I'm nipping this stuff in the bud before it gets worse. I fought thrush for most of the winter and do not want to go through that again anytime soon.

Thanks for checking in on me...hugs, Melinda

Patze

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 05:31:59 AM »
My goodness, I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better and that the infection can finally drain.  Wow, you're one tough lady!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Meld256

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »
Thanks, Patze 

I like to THINK of myself as a tough lady; I come from generations of women who were feminine and also strong as nails. I need to make them proud!  ;)
Of course, on a few occasions I've found myself wallowing in a big pile of self-pity. Those times I come here for support, and remember my dear Mother's words: "Sometimes things happen we don't like, but we just have to continue on...and feel blessed for what we have to work with."  She was a wise woman.
Blessings,
Melinda

Meld256

Re: Tooth extraction on Monday! update
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 12:00:09 AM »
Ok, today marks 2 weeks post- extraction of all upper teeth. 

I've done fairly well, gums are still really sore which I understand is to be expected and the roof of my mouth hurts.  When I saw the dentist this past Thurs. she noticed the largest "hole" in my gum wasn't healing as well as she'd like.  She said we'd wait. I'm due to go back this Thurs.

BUT there is a painful glitch in the plan!  :P  On Fri. the left side of my mouth began hurting more (this is where the "hole" is from a large molar).  Sat. I started seeing some swelling in my neck, left side.  Sunday I woke with a killer throbbing headache on the left side, up the side of my face and into my neck.  It is so painful; I've taken 4 hydrocodone today and it's taken the pain down a mere notch.

Looks like I found the culprit; part of a wisdom tooth, lower left, and it's puffy around it.  Guess there is infection or possible absess.  Wonderful.... So...calling the dentist in the a.m. and will get in to see her.  These few bottom teeth that are left are supposed to behave until I can have them out and get my bottom denture, but I guess this one didn't get the memo!  >:(
Oh well, if I need to have one or two pulled soon that will decrease the cost and pain later.

Patze

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 04:30:54 AM »
Hi Mel,

Sending you some seriously soft

( ( ( ( H U G S ) ) ) )

and I sure hope that the swelling and pain end soon my friend!

Take care of yourself and hang in there, okay?

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Meld256

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 06:29:55 AM »
Thank you, Patze  ;)

A seriously soft hug sounds good right now. The dentist is working me in later today, thank God.

Have a good Monday, dear.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »
(((Melinda))) - shame on that lower molar!!   >:(  Sorry it's causing you such grief and pain.  I hope the dentist can help you today.

I had a "hole" in my upper gums too from one of my molars.  It took quite a long time (six months or more) for it to completely close up.  Just make sure you don't get dry socket in there - that's painful too!   :o

This is where you really find out what "true grit" you're made of . . . mouth issues!!

Hang in there - I hope you get relief real soon and the pain eases up for you.

Hugs,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Meld256

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »
Thanks, Bucky

I'll update later on what happens with the dentist. Yep, this is a true "character-builder"  ;)  I'll have lots of character and true grit if my face doesn't explode first.   :P :D :'(

Meld256

Re: Tooth extraction on Monday! update
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 01:49:46 PM »
Ok, the saga continues... :D 

My dear dentist got me in about 1 p.m. After an x-ray to show exactly what was up, she determined this left-side bottom wisdom tooth was absessing. And she told me the same thing as when I had TWO absessed teeth on the bottom in December:

It has to come out, and now!  So she numbed me up, gently and quickly pulled it and sent me on my way with a penicillin script. 500 mgs. 4 x a day.  I'm still numb, so my head doesn't feel like exploding any longer.  Yea!!  ;D  Now I'm down to 7 teeth on the bottom, so at this rate if I wait 6 months or so to get the bottom denture, the teeth may be all gone first. 

I guess that would work fine!  It would help decrease the amount of pain in my mouth as well as the "pain to my pocket" (or checkbook).   ;)
The denture needed trimmed down again, too.  I had a blister in the roof of my mouth. (Owweee)  I need to remember patience with this whole process, but I'm sooo glad I'm ridding my mouth of some of this awful inflammation/ infection that just started last summer-fall.
Thanks for everyone's encouragement!  ;D