Author Topic: Tooth extraction on Monday!  (Read 16283 times)

kimbo

• Love never fails
Re: Tooth extraction on Monday!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 10:02:14 PM »
Not my Mare, Its the one every one is watching, mentioned on the social message post. It's a live cam watch.

Yes Melinda, I am in the Dental field, I would be the one on the other side of you holding the suction and handing nice stuff to the Dentist. (Dental Asst.)

I hope you do well to nite.

keep us posted.  :)

Blessings , kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »
Melinda . . . yes, perhaps an ice pack (or bag of frozen veggies - peas are a good size) wrapped in a towel held to your mouth might help.

Almost 3 yrs. later, the mere thought of needles in the roof of my mouth sends chills down my back.   ::)

My "original" tooth extraction appointment was on a Monday - when they had to reschedule a week later due to the high BP, Friday was the only day available.  It was nearing time for school to start and I wanted it done ASAP so I would have time to adjust to my new teeth BEFORE school started.

I am impressed that you are on the computer tonight . . . I was in no condition or mood to be on the computer the night of my extraction.

I hope your whole dental transition goes as smooth as things have so far.  IF you have any sore spots, be sure and let your dentist know and she will adjust your dentures.  Many times, it takes several adjustments to get it "just right". 

How lucky that your dentist is so close to home!

OK - I've got to head to bed . . . hope you get some sleep tonight, and good luck tomorrow.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Meld256

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 05:31:07 AM »
kimbo,
Ok, the mare is not yours; I'm behind with the news...duh  ;) 

Hey, I remembered about you being in the dental field! How's about that? My dentist's asst. is great, too, along with the whole staff.  I don't know if you personally have dental "issues" but I'm sure any Sjogren's patients you treat appreciate the fact that you understand. The drastic mouth problems I've had suddenly in the last year have amazed me.

Bucky, your support is so appreciated! I needed the hydrocodone a bit more overnight, but still not horrible pain. I had no frozen peas, but a bag of corn did the trick. Some coffee ice cream helped even more! Good stuff... :D

I'm relieved to have this part done. (meaning on to the bottom teeth later, but that's LATER) I had a nasty flaring weekend like I haven't for a while. Might have been partially from some anxiety. I told my family on a 1-10 scale (10 being excruxiating pain) I was about an 8.5 on the crappy scale. Much better now!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 06:59:52 AM »
Melinda - I'm glad that you did well overnight.  I guess I didn't know you were doing it in two separate times - uppers and lowers.  I did them both at the same time!!   :o

Can't wait to hear how your app't. goes today.  I had to experience the first time dentures out and back in on my own.  It was a little tough at first, but it got easier each time.  Did you have to have any stitches?

Hope someone got you a hand mirror as a present so you can admire your new smile!   ;D

I hope your flare is short lived.

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Smudge

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 10:49:31 AM »
The uppers aren't really bad at all.  I think you were smart to do one at a time, Melinda.   :D  The lowers can be a bit trickier, but then you won't have the uppers to deal with.  I'm glad you have a good dentist you can trust.  It makes ALL the difference.

Katybarstool

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
Melinda

I just popped in to see how you are doing, and am delighted you are feeling so well. The pain will lessen as the sweling goes down. You must be so thankful you found such a good dentist.

Happy healing ;D

Kathyx

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »
So glad all went well. YOu will never regret this. I don't know why the dentists are not more supportive of us sjogrens patients who suffer so much with our infections and rotten teeth.

Yes, the needles around the teeth are just awesome. I had about 9-10 teeth pulled a few years ago with the needles and no nitrous. He would inject a little med every so often and it kept the pain down without any of the numbness that prevented you from swallowing or blinking your eyes. I had never had this done before---only the needle injections. This new way that my new dentist did was just awesome.

Also, I am of the opinion that the hydrocodone is that is killing your knee pain. A good drug but can be addiciting if taken losg term. Hope the next days go well. You will get to have a lot of home made malts and mashed potatoes. My hubby ran pretty much everything through the little food processor so I could eat better. Yummy, ground up meat with gravy, sort of like a nursing home. ::) ::) Irish ;D

Meld256

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 08:43:22 AM »
Thanks for checking on me, everyone!

I'm still doing well, except I have some chipmunk-cheek swelling today. More frozen veggies for the face.

My appt. yesterday (24 hrs. post-extraction) went well, too. I left in the denture overnight as I was told and let them take it out the first time and check everything. Gums are beginning to heal and look like they should. Good news!
I had some swelling and sore spots, so they ground down the denture to fit better. Felt sooo much better after that.

Today it's sore, but not horribly. I'll be glad to get back to the dentist again tomorrow and have things adjusted some more. I need to take them out today on my own, so I'm working up the nerve to do so. lol

Yes, Bucky, I only had the tops done for now. That was my dentist's recommendation and it worked better financially, too.  Since I no longer have my insurance after retiring due to disability, the bottoms may cost us a lot more. I got put on my husband's dental/med. plan but it doesn't pay out as well. We were able to put the tops on my insurance and the bottoms will go on the new plan. p.s. I don't have any stitches, which surprises me since she had to "dig out" some roots. Awful mental picture, huh?

Irish, you might be right about the hydrocodone helping my knees. But what's wierd is that the knee pain was back with a vengeance last night/today. I'm glad your dentist was so good with the needle injections for you. Yep, I've eaten mashed potatoes, yogurt, pudding and applesauce. And ice cream... :D I need to use my little food processor and make some meat concoctions.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:35:30 AM by Meld256 »

Katybarstool

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 01:41:40 PM »
When I had my teeth take out (UK 30+ years ago), the dentist gave me a diazepam injection in my hand, and I didn't feel any of it, even though I did have to have some stitches. I think I was very lucky.

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »
Melinda - have you mustered up the courage to remove the denture yourself yet today?  The first several times are kinda tricky, but it will get easier.

Hope as the day wears on, that your "chipmunk cheek" swelling has gone down.

Bucky

Meld256

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »
Bucky,
I finally mustered up the courage to take it out today, but it took me all afternoon to talk myself into it!  ;)

It wasn't that bad, although guess because of the swelling I wasn't sure if I'd get them out or not. I've had an icepack on the cheeks for hours and the chipmunk look has lessened. I have a horrible taste coming from the back left side of my mouth;my front teeth were infected when she removed them. Maybe that's the reason for the nastiness... :P
Along with the nasty taste, I've felt kind of rotten and had some chills today; THAT doesn't sound good...hope there's no infection because every time I've needed antibiotics in the last 6 mths. I end up with thrush. Ughhh.

I'll let the dentist know all this when I see her again tomorrow @ noon.
Blessings,
Melinda
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:15:59 PM by Meld256 »

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 04:27:32 PM »
Melinda - yay . . . you took them out on your own!!  (we need a clapping icon . . .  ;D)

What if you rinsed your mouth with some warm salt water, do you think that would help with the nasty taste?  I'd try spitting (ha) that stuff out and try not to swallow it.

I would think the doctor could tell just by looking tomorrow if you have an infection.  Maybe, it's just those front teeth socket draining since you said they were infected?  I don't know.

Get your jammies on, curl up with a blanket and try to get warm and get some sleep.

Hope you feel better.

Hugs,
Bucky

Meld256

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »
Thank you for thinking of a clapping icon!  ;) Yes, I was so proud.  ;D

Yes, I'm sipping water, swishing and spitting the junk. Hey, now I'm really part of the crowd; don't we all have something draining from somewhere quite often?  :P Gross...
Think I'll take the advice about curling up and trying to get some rest.

Katybarstool, that's great you didn't have any pain with your procedure.
Take care, and thanks everyone
Melinda

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
Melinda - did you go to the doctor today?  What did she say about the horrible taste?

Hope she made a few more adjustments so your denture feels good.

Bucky

Meld256

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
Yep, was at the dentist again today. She said the nasty taste was quite normal, and it may be that the draining is from infection I had in the front teeth and just SO much inflammation I had to start with in my gums.  She told me it was so bad it was little difficult to see exactly where it was, but pretty much everywhere.  :(  Another good reason to get these bad teeth out!

So, it's a good thing that it is draining...I have one really sore spot and they trimmed the denture down again.

I still have chipmunk cheeks, not quite as bad as yesterday, but now my tongue is swelling and getting some white spots. Great...I fear the "dreaded thrush" might be coming back.  I fought that for 8 weeks over the winter and would not like it again, please!  :P I'm not supposed to go back til Mon. unless I feel I need to come by tomorrow (fri.)  I may just call about my tongue and see if she thinks I should start Nystatin now to ward off the thrush.
Overall, I'm doing quite well considering.  :D