Author Topic: Tooth extraction on Monday!  (Read 16556 times)

Meld256

Tooth extraction on Monday!
« on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:44 AM »
Well, after nearly 5 months of dental visits for consults, impressions, insurance issues, and try-ins for my immediate dentures, I am FINALLY having all my upper teeth extracted tomorrow afternoon.

Yep, 14 teeth (which are mostly parts of teeth by now) out and denture slapped in there.  Gotta admit I am excited and also a bit nervous...never had anything that BIG done to my mouth before. I have utmost confidence in my dentist; she will use nitrous oxide and assured me with pain meds for afterwards, but still I am awake late into the night thinking about it. And I am eating what I want NOW. lol

I think I'll be ok tomorrow, but please wish me luck. Whatever I have to do to be able to smile with confidence again will be worth it.
Thanks! Melinda

kimbo

• Love never fails
Re: Tooth extraction on Monday!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 01:48:26 AM »
Melinda, you will do great, it will be much easier than you think. Nitrous will work well for you.
I Am thinking of you , and positive for you.
Blessing kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Patze

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 04:44:56 AM »
Good luck Mel!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes on schedule and you'll be smiling so much that your friends will start to wonder what's up. ;) :D

Take care and sending you a ( H U G ) -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Jellyb

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:47:55 AM »
I wish you good luck, and i am sending good thoughts your way:-)

Katybarstool

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:02:34 AM »
Melinda

How you doing this morning? I know the horrors of broken teeth, and can honestly say that having all mine extracted (at age 21) was such a relief. Thirty-odd years on, I can still remember the agonies of broken teeth, abcesses, root fillings - give me dentures any day ;D

Hugs
Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
(((Melinda))),

It's almost 2:30 p.m. on Monday and am just now reading this post.  I don't know what time your app't. was, but am thinking you might have already had the procedure done. 

I've been in your shoes and I remember the "night before" anxiety of worrying about what was about to happen.  In fact, I was in that situation twice - as the first time I went to have my teeth pulled my blood pressure was sky high and they wouldn't do the procedure!   ::)

Tonight will be rough.  Just keep a pail or something next to you in case you need it.  I couldn't tolerate the pain pills and just toughed it out.  I imagine you already know to sleep in a recliner or something tonight to stay upright.  You wouldn't be able to lay down flat on your back if you tried! 

The first 24 hrs. are the hardest.  It will get better . . . honest!  You'll go from  :D to  ;D

When do you go back to the doctor's office?  The very first time I tried taking the dentures out I thought they were stuck in for good - that was a little challenge - but, again, that too will get better as time progresses.  Your gums will be swollen and it takes time for them to shrink.

Wishing you well Melinda.  I DO know what it's like.  Take care friend and keep us posted.  If you have any questions or anything, you can PM me if you don't want to post here.

You'll look back on this down the road and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Enjoy your new smile!!   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Hugs,
Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

stickgal

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »
Hoping all went well for you today and wishing you nothing but smiles in your future!

sass

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:14:10 PM »
Well, I am anxious to see how it went and how you are feeling!  Hope it went well!  Please let us know.

Sass

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
Hope all went well. I have been through it, and have never regretted it.

susanep  :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Meld256

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »
Thank you so much, everyone, for your thoughts, prayers and encouragement!
 :)

Ok, the update:  My extraction went amazingly well!  
I've never had nitrous oxide for anything previous, but now I'm a huge fan. My appt. was at 1 p.m. They got me in right away and started the "gas".  I love my dentist I found in this area recently; she is exceptionally caring and just plain good at what she does.

After giving the gas some time to work, she gently began with all the numbing needles. I can't count how many, but she made sure I was totally numbed.  My eyebrows were numb! Even the needles into the roof of my mouth were not painful; just a small pinch. Then the process of taking out all 14 teeth across the top.  She'd pull a few and let me rest. Then a few more til we were finished.
Some gauze held down and then the denture went in. I was out of the office about 3:15. The teeth look soooo good, better than the ones I was born with. My real teeth were a little crooked in front.

I got my script for 500 mgs. hydrocodone on the way home and took one at 5:30 and another at 9:30. So far, so good. Not really in much pain! By 9:30 I was ready for another pill, but it's really just a big aching pain. I realized sometime this afternoon that my knees felt better than they have for a full year. I laughed and told my husband maybe I could ask the dentist if she could "gas me up" about once a week for all my other aches and pains...guess that wouldn't work.  :(

I go back tomorrow for her to take out the denture (she told me to PLEASE leave it in if at all possible) and check everything. And go back again Thurs. and Fri. Then a couple of times next week. She wants to be sure it's all doing fine, especially because of the Sjogren's.  Like I said, I just love her. ;)
Yes, Bucky, I will get some sleep trying to partially sit up. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

Thanks, all, for the support. You guys are the greatest!  ;D ;D Here's what I look like now. lol
Melinda

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
Melinda, I just popped in to see if you updated us.

So good to know how well everything went. Sounds like your dentist takes great care of you.

Yeah for nitrous!

Glad Buckey showed up, because she is a poster gal for this proceedure

I love the creative use of the smileys

now I shall go check on Teaser, the mare in waiting.

Hugs and Blessings, kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Smudge

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »
I just saw this, Melinda.  Congrats and welcome to the other side!  Feel free to go check my journal as you make the transition for tips and ideas to help make things easier.  I didn't know about Sjogren's at the time, but I did have complications that I now know were directly related.  If I'd known at the time, I would have been able to better handle them.  Nothing serious, just discomforts that I could have done without. 

I'm very happy for you.  I'm sure you'll be much happier with the new smile and no more pain from those teeth that were removed.  Yay!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
Even the needles into the roof of my mouth were not painful; just a small pinch.

Melinda - glad to hear everything went well with your procedure today.  I didn't have the gas and the needles in the roof of my mouth were excruciatingly painful.  I'm glad it was only a "small pinch" for you.

I had my teeth extraction on a Friday - so I had to wait until a Monday to see the dentist.  Good thing you had a Monday appointment with a Tuesday follow-up.

Did you go to your "regular" dentist for this?  I had to go to an oral surgeon.  

Your dentist sounds so kind and caring . . . keep her for sure!!!  

Wishing you a restful night.  Good luck tomorrow.

Bucky   ;D
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Meld256

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 09:24:56 PM »
Yes, Smudge, thanks for reminding me of your journal.  I remember reading it a while back and I'll check it again.  I'm sure I'll be happy with the final results of all this.  So tired of absesses, infections and other "nasties".  Not to mention I think my self-esteem has taken a hit lately. I don't consider myself a shallow person, but I try to look decent, and I've hated meeting people with my rotting-out teeth. Yuck!   And thanks for the welcome "to the other side".  :D

kimbo,
Thank you for checking in on me. Did I catch in other posts that you are in the dental field?  Or is that my brain fog?
Hope your mare is doing fine. Keep us posted!

Meld256

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 09:39:44 PM »
Hi Bucky,

I feel very lucky for the nitrous oxide. My MIL also told me the needles in the roof of her mouth were horrible, and she can remember that from years and years ago.  I'm so sorry you had to endure that!

One of the things that really impressed me with this dentist is that she told me from the beginning that she will do this type of procedure ONLY on Mondays, so that you're not "left hanging" over a weekend. 
Then she schedules everyone on Tues., Thurs. and Fri.  (they close Wed)  She's especially watchful for those of us with other health problems, so yes, she is a keeper!!

And, she is a general dentist, with the office located about 2 minutes from my house.  I feel blessed to have randomly found her...she is wonderfully kind and caring.  She's a small woman, too, but she can pull teeth in no time flat!  :D
BTW, I think I have some swelling in the last little while.  Guess that calls for an icepack?
Have a good night, dear.