Author Topic: Petechiae Have Just Shown Up on Lower Legs  (Read 8148 times)

Daisy1234

Petechiae Have Just Shown Up on Lower Legs
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
Hi everyone.  I have severe Sjs with many extraglandular complications including severe gastroparesis, esophageal dysmotility and IBS.  Also have just been diagnosed with MALT non-hodgkins lymphoma in abdomen, further I now have developed bi-lateral atelectasis (both lungs have partially collapsed due to sjogren's attacking my lungs).  This is just a high level overview of some of my SJs health issues, the remainder would require me writing a book and I don't want to bore anyone to sleep.

This morning I woke up to a really painful right knee which doesn't want to bend very well and a right calf that is constantly in spasm.  I have not injured myself in any way or strained the joint.  However, when I examined both of my legs I noticed that sometime overnight a number of petechiae have appeared on both lower legs.  Right now I would count about 40 of them in total.  

My take on this is just to ignore them unless they become much more prolific over the next few days and the number increases to 100 or more.  40 Petechiae between 2 legs doesn't seem that much to me.  Also I do have an appointment with my PCP scheduled for May 18th and don't really want to move that forward unless something really takes off on me.  You see, I've just received a lot of paperwork yesterday for my annual long term disability insurance review and I need to focus on getting all of the correct paperwork done so that my benefits continue.   As many of you are aware, if one makes even the most minor error in this, disability benefits get cut off and fast.  

Does anyone have any experience with petechiae and do you think there is any problem with just lettiing things run their course?

Thanks so much,
Daisy
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:13:36 PM by Daisy1234 »

One and only

Re: Petechiae Have Just Shown Up on Lower Legs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »
Ever had it before?,, I had some weird thing happen to me twice, I got these little red dots on my hands and feet,, they faded and all the skin on my hands and feet peeled off,, dermatologist had no clue what it was,, maybe he should have been a neuro,, mine dont kow much either,, but back to you,, can you take a pic of it. I guess watch to see if it spreads,, and hten make the call before it gets to bad,,

babycakes

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:18:43 PM »
hi daisy

dont know if this is the same as yours, i also have severe sjogrens with many associated problems.  One thing i used to get really badly was these weird red dots on my lower legs.  Sometimes they were big and othertimes like little red tiny dots, almost like bleeds, as when i pressed them, they didnt disappear.

I also got them when i was having a flare or i had been doing alot of walking or drinking alcohol.  The rheumie said they were purpura, I think it was called hypergammaglobinara, due to too much gamma globulins in my blood???  I dont get it hardly ever now as ive been on plaq for 3 years which apparantly helps this problem.

does yours sound like this?

annie x

rnathans

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »
My mom who also has Sjogrens has had this and was diagnosed with cryoglobulemia.

Daisy1234

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
Thank you all for your responses.

Yes Babycakes, purpura are what I'm talking about.  Petechiae are the small round version of purpura.  They're on my lower legs as I mentioned, but as I said, there is only about 40 between the two legs right now and I'm wondering if I can just let this go without seeking any medical intervention unless the number of petechiae keep increasing.  Sometimes it takes days for this to develop according to what I've read.  And no, this isn't a condition that I've had prior to this morning.

My concern is really if there is anything that needs to be done, or if I can just let things ride without seeking medical intervention unless the number of petechiae greatly increase?

Carebear

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:03:12 PM »
Hi Daisy,

I've been getting petechiae on various body parts for about 18 months now.  Never a lot, like yourself, but none the less troubling.  I've mentioned it to three different doctors including my hematologist and they each shrug, saying it's nothing.  My platelets and clotting factors are fine, so I think for me it's just one of those anomalies.  Something to monitor.

Having said that, and given your history, I think you should consult your doctor.  I know you don't want to do this right now with all that's going on.  But I think it would be prudent. 

Take care.

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Nancy60

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »
If it was just the petechiae I would be like you and not worry too much about it until my next doctor visit, maybe take pictures to bring with me.  But the petechiae couples with the right knee and calf issues, I wonder if something else is going on-something vascular and that makes me a little more inclined to get it checked quicker to rule out something urgent.  Just my thoughts though, I am not a doctor.

Nancy 

Daisy1234

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »
Thanks Carebear and Nancy for your input.  It was good to hear that I'm not alone in this.  That Sjs is sure doing some weird things to my body lately.  Last week I was breaking out in many hives on my inner arms and this week petechiae.  What the heck will show up next?  I'm  starting to wonder if my body is trying to kill me as soon as it thinks I take my eyes off of it for a minute.  Maybe it thinks its on my insurance policy as beneficiary?  lol

Daisy

Carebear

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
Hi Daisy,

Sjogren's really does keep us on our toes!  Never boring, that's for sure. ;)
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

sass

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
Daisy, this could be a symptom of something worse.  I do not want to scare you, but that many can be a indication of a problem.  My best friend started with minor petechiae and was in  a rubber ICU  within 24 hours.  She has a blood clotting problem that she never had any sign of before.  She was 47 when it first started to show.  Her platelets where extremly low,  like pratically nothing.  I keep insisting that she go to a doctor and she finally did and returned to work to wait on results.  They sent an ambulance to take her straight to ICU.  She was bleeding out and the only sign was a few petechiae on her shins. It is called ITP.   Please don't wait...get it checked out.    Sass   

Daisy1234

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
Thank you Sass for sharing this information with me.  As of this morning, I'm only seeing a couple more petechiae on my lower legs though.  But after reading about what you posted (ITP)  Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura I can understand that this may potentially be something worse.

My doctor's office is closed over the Easter Weekend, but if things get any worse, I'll call first thing on Monday to try and get an appointment.

Thanks so much for your post.

Daisy

sass

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »
Daisy, How are you doing?  I am very concerned about you.  Any more shown up yet?  Please if it gets any worse, go to the ER and have them test your platelets.  If is a simple way of finding out and if they are high then I and you can quit worrying.  Blood loss is a serious issue and any bump of bruise can be devastating! Please let me know!

Sass

Daisy1234

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 01:20:58 AM »
Sass:  First, thank you so much for your caring and concern.  There are a few more petechiae and bruiselike marks on my legs, and now I am getting some hives on my legs and arms, but only a few more petechiae as of today.  Please know that I am monitoring the situation very carefully.

Yes, I am worried, but I don't want to make my husband spend his Easter weekend in the ER and I have to finish my paperwork for the LTD insurance and get it to the lawyer on Monday.  It sounds a bit stupid I know, but I am scared that I will spend the entire day there and won't be able to get my insurance papers done.  Just like many of us, my family depends alot on the income I receive thru my disability insurance.  They do not give extentions and will cut one off at a moments notice if paperwork is not received.  Its terrible that people who are really ill must deal with these types of things at the worst time but such is life.

My Dr's office has a lab associated with it and I am determined to call them first thing Monday morning, they will see me quickly too as they are very aware of my health issues.  But, if any other symptoms show up, I will definitely go to the ER right away.

I can't tell you enough how touched I am by your kindness, thank you for caring so much.
Hugs,
Daisy

sass

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 02:45:51 AM »
You are very welcome!  Well okay as long as you keep a close eye on it.  The rash is disturbing me though.  I know all about the forms you must fill out, had to do them for my husband not long ago.  Am sending you a private message.
Good Luck with both things!        sass

Daisy1234

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 12:39:14 AM »
Update:

The Petechiae on my lower legs have now turned into a combination of several hundred Purpura and Petechiae and have spread all over my legs right to hips and are starting to creep up to my abdominal area. 

I am counting the minutes until my dr's office opens at 8am.  My legs and feet are hurting terribly, so hard to walk right now, and have developed a very bad headache (I only get headaches when I am very ill) with some swallowing/gut issues that are more than my usual gastroparesis.  This is now looking like some form of vasculitis to me.   Really don't want to be admitted to hospital again and am hopiing that my doctor can just give me some cortisteriods that will get this thing under control pronto.  I must say that if its vasculitis, it came out of nowhere and its extremely painful.  :'(

Daisy