Author Topic: Veins stick out now  (Read 4698 times)

hockeyluvr

Veins stick out now
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »
NEVER had this before.  Over the past month or two my veins have started sticking out.  My arms and hands look horrid ... all skinny with big sticking out veins.  I have LOW normal blood pressure now ... 90/50.  Does anyone else have veins that stick out like that?  Is it a sjogrens thing or something else?  Something else like just something that happens when you get old??  (I'm 48)

It's no big deal ... I'm just wondering.
Sjogrens, Poly Neuropathy, degenerative disk disease, Osteoperosis  - On Plaquinel

cremer

Re: Veins stick out now
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:53:44 AM »
I don't know if this is Sjpgrens related but my veins stick out on my hands too, and I'm only 44 years old.

How much do they stick out?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:49:28 AM by cremer »
Male 47 yrs old
PSjS (Positive SSa & SSb ANA 1:2560, Possible Fibromyalgia and CFS, Triple heart bypass Feb 2011, IBS, brain fog, joint pain, mouth and nose ulcers, paronychia, headaches, and fatigue, Very low WBC count.
Medications : Aspirin, Plaquenil, Bisoprolol, Simvastatin, Vit D, Iron.

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:55:53 AM »
Hi Liz! I am 48 also andvi have the sticky out veins on my hands too. All skinny, and i have one large swollen knuckle by my index finger and deep ridges in my nails. Yikes! My hands look like " The Claw!" I dont know if this  is sjogrens or old age or bad genes.
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

Daisy1234

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
HI Liz:

I have had severe Sjs for a while now.  I'm in my mid 40's now but it was about 6 yrs ago I noticed that my hands had become very veiny and that my veins bulged out quite alot on my hands and arms where they never had done so before.  I also get pains in the bulged veins from time to time that feels very much like inflammation and lasts for several days at a time.  Back when this happened, I mentioned the vascular hands to my then Rheumy (was a smart dr but a lousy listener and didn't know much about Sjs so I changed) who bruskly told me that the large bulging veins in my hands were normal.  Additionally, I will get an inflammation type pain in these bulged veins that will last several days to a couple of weeks at a time.

I also have 3 sisters all around my same age and none of them have this issue with bulging vascular veins in their hands or arms although none of them have Sjs either.

If anyone has any answers out there as to whether this is related to Sjs, I sure would be interested in hearing them.

Daisy

susan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »
Hi Liz,
Sometimes veins appear more prominent with recent weight loss --- don't know if that fits your situation.

Kerrikins

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
I think it's from plaquenil. I'm in my early 30's and I look like a walking, talking diagram of the circulatory system. I never looked this way before the plaquenil. It's gross! :(

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:09:45 AM »
Nope - I'm not the same. Mt veins are a lot harder to find than they used to be but then I'm a lot fatter.  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

hockeyluvr

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:11:37 AM »
- Recent weight loss ... CHECK  (65 pounds in about 6 months).
- Plaquinel ... CHECK
- Sjogrens ... CHECK

Okay ... from what I'm hearing ya'll have the same thing going on.  Sometimes the veins in my left arm HURT.  But usually now they just BULDGE.  lines and lines of bulge.  You can see all the veins now, and some of them are bulging almost 1/4 inch up from the skin.  

I've never had this before.  Not even when I was this skinny in high school.  From what you all are saying it's probably a sjogrens related thing and not something else.

It's just freak'n strange.  My husband says it's 'creepy'.  
Sjogrens, Poly Neuropathy, degenerative disk disease, Osteoperosis  - On Plaquinel

Daisy1234

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »
I don't take plaquenil so that doesn't apply to me.  Yes I am slender but have never been a heavy person and didn't have this issue before Sjs when was slim.

Hmmm doesn't seem like I fit this bill.  I would agree with 1/4inch bulge in the veins as the ones on my hands definitely are at least that high if not higher now.

gsmraxe

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
Mine stick out and have for as long as I can remember.  I even have protruding veins in my fingers.   :)  My arms, legs and feet are the same way.  Heat and working out makes them stand out even more than normal.

After my last surgery, I accidentally pulled out my IV from my hand and I dehydrated.  All the veins in my hands & arms disappeared.  It was the weirdest thing, I freaked out and asked the nurse "What happened to my veins?"  Once they rehydrated me, they all came back.

But, for blood tests, they love me because they can always find a place to stick me  :D

lindaneall

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »
I have lost a lot of weight with the gastroparesis. I'm 5'10" and 98 lbs. Last week my 14 yr. old said, "Mom, your arms look GROSS. You can see all your veins".  Yep. He's right. It's pretty ugly. I can understand exactly what you are talking about.

Sooki

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »
My veins stick way out on my hands, too (low BP as well).  The veins are easy for the phlebotomist to find, but tough to pierce - they need a real sharp needle or they just roll away.  They go away if I raise my hands and come back as I lower them.  My daughter likes to poke at them; she thinks it annoys me...  They used to bother me.  Now there are other things to worry about :)
64 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet

sis

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 08:42:34 AM »
It may be sjogren's or med related for some.

I think it is in my gens. Mom and Gran have low blood pressure and these big veins.

My hands are just like my Gran's and Mom's.

My sweet little cousin at age 4 asked my grandmother once.  "Why have you got worms in your hands grandmother?"
Sis 48 DX-LUPUS/ SJOGREN'S  May-20012
Migraines; Raynaud's; Chronic UTI's; Osteoarthritis; Dry Eyes; Blepharitis. Meds -Restasis, Klonopin, Effexor, Vitamins and Supplements, Acupuncture, Massage Therapy and Yoga.  2 failed trials on Plaquenil.  7.5-10 mg. Predisone daily

HL in NY

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
Add me to the 40-something with swollen veins club. (Sheesh! These clubs are not the ones I want to join!)

I have it some days and not on others. I would get a lot worse when I was doing Retaxin. I think (and this is just a guess) that my veins/circutory system are getting in on the imflammation action. I mean joints get imflammed, my nerves get imflammed, my glands get imflammed,  why not my blood vessels.  Everybody join the party!