Author Topic: Alpha Lipoic Acid  (Read 1190 times)

DesignerS

Alpha Lipoic Acid
« on: March 30, 2011, 06:17:34 PM »
I am allergic to Sulfa antibiotics.  I am wondering if I would also be allergic to Alpha Lipoic Acid since sulfur is involved in the process of making it.
I have been reading articles online, but its getting a little confusing ::)

I purchased a bottle today before I read about the sulfur, 200 mg.  Anyone know more about this than I do?

Designer

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
Re: Alpha Lipoic Acid
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »
I have some severe reactions to sulfa drugs but this one does not seem to bother me. Try stopping it and note the changes in your condition.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

DesignerS

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:41:46 PM »
Joe,
You have no allergic problem taking this at all?  And does it help you feel better?  I know it is really suppose to be a good supplement to take, and I would love to take it.  I just have concerns about the sulfa thing.  I haven't started taking the supplement yet, just trying to gather information and opinions.  How many mg. are you taking in a day?

Designer

anita

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:51:12 PM »
I too have severe sulfa antibiotic allergies (causes broken blood vessels all over).  I take R lipoic acid (which is the only component of alpha lipoic acid that is actually absorbed by the body) and have no problems. 

Be sure to watch carefully anyway for reactions that you have with the antibiotic...just in case.

Good luck and hope it helps you.
49 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Severe Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, IgG def., Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-negative w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitroglycerin, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Florinef, Symbicort, Percocet,

DesignerS

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:03:51 PM »
Thanks so much Anita.  I am glad you can take it:)  That gives me some confidence!

Designer

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55:40 AM »
I do not have problems with alpha lipoic acid. R-lipoic seems to be the best option.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism