Author Topic: Hair loss  (Read 1602 times)

ingy54

Hair loss
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if hair loss could be part of SS symptoms as my hair seems to have changed lately and it does come out quite a bit. I've had SS for the last 15 years and luckily I've had only the usual dry eyes, nose and mouth but now after reading your mails I realize I have other things like Carpal tunnel, Thyroid problems ( Hashimoto) and dry skin. Hope someone can give me an answer about hair loss and thanks for all the information which I've found on this discussion board. :)

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
Re: Hair loss
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »
Have you had your thyroid levels checked lately? If your TSH is over 3.0, it could be the cause of your hair loss.

You might also want to have your vitamin levels checked, as hair loss can be a sign of a deficiency.

Hair loss can be a symptom of AI activity, more so with lupus than Sjogren's, but there are definitely people here with just SJS who have had hair loss. 

If you check the other things and think it's SJS, then you might want to see about treatment for a flare to see if that helps (extra rest and maybe a low dose of prednisone for a few weeks).
SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 05:23:15 PM »
I have had hair loss also, I have only been recently diagnosed with sjogrens, but over the last few years the hair on my arms and legs is all but gone, and eyebrows also. No bald spots on my head but it is thinner. My thyroid has been checked many times, t4 tsp, thyroid antibodies ect and all is in normal range. So I'm not sure why I am losing hair, oh and thin eyelashes too!
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
Jellyb,

Do you know your thyroid numbers, or just that they are "normal"? I ask because a lot of doctors are using an out-dated normal range. Thin eyebrows are very much a hypothyroid symptom, so I would recommend that you double check if you don't have your numbers.

Here's the AACE's new(ish) recommendations in case your doctor is using an old range and needs convincing: http://www.aace.com/public/awareness/tam/2003/explanation.php

If your thyroid really is OK (for me, that's a TSH of between .3 and 1.5), it could be Sjogren's. Take extra care of yourself however you can, and see if that helps. Stress makes AI conditions much worse.

Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Jellyb

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »
DragonflyC, I do not know my numbers at all, ( sorry I put tsp instead of TSH hee hee I should wear my glasses more)
But again I don't know my numbers and I have always suspected thyroid besides the hair loss I get so so cold then the raynauds sets in. So I will take your advice and get my numbers, thank you for caring:)

Gluten free

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »
Jellyb,

Please let us know how it goes! I hope that you just need a slight increase in thyroid meds, as that's the easiest solution. If it turns out that it's not your thyroid, though, I'm sure someone here will have more ideas (if not a solution, then at least specific ways of coping).

I always ask for my specific TSH levels because it's taken me some time to figure out where I feel best. There's a ton of good information at http://thyroid.about.com/ but I only ever show my doctor articles from AACE, because doctors tend to listen to other doctors more than to anyone else.

Wishing you the best,
C.

Jellyb

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:22 AM »
DragonflyC, thank you for that link, very interesting, I seem to have quite a few of the low thyroid symtoms.  Maybe my numbers are on the low end of normal but still low enough to give me trouble. I have  an appt scheduled with my nurse practitioner/nutrition person in a week and I will get my numbers from her. And maybe some better answers. If anything at least some dietary solutions/supplements that might help and if not I will push my rheumatologist about it.  Thank you so so much:)

Gluten free

harlin

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »
Hi ingy, yes, my hair is falling out. I am on Mexitrexate tho and the dr has given me folic acid to try to counter act the side effects. It is still coming out by the handfulls. I get so sad when I shampoo. No bald spots just major thinning. I too have had my thyroid checked and it is ok.
I am so sorry you are going thru this too. I am very particular about my hair and this stinks!! My nails are a mess also. they are thin and brittle. Keep breaking off. I don't know what to do with myself.

Best of luck, I hope it doesn't last for you.
blessings harlin
Female 56
RA, Sjogrens, Fibromyalgia, Reynolds, Osteoarthritis
IBS, Gerd, Restless leg syndrome
Plaquinel, Methotrexate, Horizant, Folic Acid, Savella, Nexium, Vitamin D, Flexiril, Actenel, Rastasis, Gentel,

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »
Jellyb,

Strangely, the higher the TSH, the more hypothyroid someone is. If your thyroid is the cause of your problems, your TSH is likely on the high end of "normal."

Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) is the hormone that tells your thyroid to get moving (it "stimulates" it), so when your thyroid is sluggish, your body produces more TSH. It's confusing because we thinking hypo = low, which it does, but that means a higher TSH.

The human body is a crazy thing!

--C.

Jellyb

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
DragonflyC,
Thank you for explaining that to me it gets confusing. When I get some #s I will run them by the forum and you can tell me what you think. Thank you again:-)))

Gluten free

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »
Happy to help!  I love analyzing people's thyroid tests (several ladies at work bring theirs in to show me--it's a weird hobby, I know), so definitely post once you find out.