Author Topic: Birth control pills risky?  (Read 2096 times)

shortstuff

Birth control pills risky?
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:45:12 PM »
Pardon me, but I forgot exactly why my OB/GYN told me I should be double checking with the rheumatologist if it's safe to be on birth control.....is it because I'm on Plaquenil or because autoimmune makes me at higher risk for blood clots?  Some combination of that w/ the birth control makes for higher risk of clots.....have any of you also been told this?  Thanks!

bigb00

Re: Birth control pills risky?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »
i'm on birth control pills & on plaquenil. I have not been told anything from my GP, Rheumy or my great pharmacy team that there is any kind of problem with the two.

Kerrikins

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:08:19 PM »
The estrogen in hormonal birth control can cause flares in people with AI diseases. I just happened to come across that tidbit the other day when I was reading about something else. Of course I'm sure it doesn't apply to all birth control, and it also may depend on how severe your AI disease is. I'm sure your rheumatologist can recommend something that would be good for you to take. :)
Kerrikins

gurs

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:51:22 AM »
If you have been feeling ok, then I wouldnt change anything. Estrogen does seem to play a part in the autoimmune process though. I keep trying to take
a low dose bio-estrogen, but I get sooooo sick with even the smallest dose of it? I guess the main concern is clotting..i guess if you have any clotting issues, then
for certain I wouldnt be taking it.

gursie
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

dbab

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
When I was dx'd with lupus, my OB/GYN wanted me to get off the Nuvaring ASAP because of the hormones so it leads me to believe its an issue with the disease rather than the med interactions.  I'm on the paragard (copper IUD) with no hormones for the past few years.  Now my doc wants me to get off of that because I'm having complications with it, don't know what my next options are since I have bad reactions to condoms.  I said I'll get my tubes tied but doctor is really pushing for my husband to get the surgery instead since its less invasive.  HA!  Men don't like any sharp instruments in that immediate area.

Liz D.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »
I have been on birth control pills for about 20 years.  One reason was because I have ovarian cysts and the pill kept them at bay and not painful.  But recently, my GP told me she would probably never take me off the pill because it would just make me drier than I already am.  Don't know if that is a good or bad thing, but I have heard of people having bad flares when they went off the pill.

Liz D.
50 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), hypothryoidism, asthma
Plaquenil 400 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Asmanex, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg., Prozac 40 mg., Junel 28 (bc pill), Xanax, Ambien

amk922

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »
I tried going back on birth control pills last year - had not taken them in many years and not since my diagnosis. I was even on a "Lo" dose prescription and it was torture. There are three weeks of hormones and one off - and I was in serious pain all of the three hormone weeks. Everything ached. The breast pain was unbelievable - got tears in my eyes when I undressed at the end of each day and had to take my bra off. I had to quit after only two months.

Obviously this won't happen with everyone, but it was a very distinct trigger for a lot of issues for me. I can't imagine how there isn't some kind of hormonal link since 90% of Sjogren's patients are women.
SJS Diagnosis Feb 2006 (age 26)
Fibromyalgia confirmed June 2011 (age 31)
ANA: 878
Anti-Ro SSA: 741

Managing with 400mg Plaqenil per day and 500mg Naproxen up to 2x/day.  Other medications: Clarinex, Singulair, Cymbalta 30mg, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Lunesta.

gurs

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
I think this is why Im having trouble even with a bio-low dose estrogen...my body just hates it, even though I need it desperately, especially with
this dryness...eeekkkks, I thought I was dry before?? this is a nightmare. I would say for those that can tolerate estrogen, to stay on it, unless your doc
or something says otherwise.

gursie
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

hockeyluvr

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 05:36:38 AM »
Birth control pills in general are risky ... AI or not.
Sjogrens, Poly Neuropathy, degenerative disk disease, Osteoperosis  - On Plaquinel