Author Topic: Foal might be born 2day, live cam  (Read 139427 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: Foal might be born 2day, live cam
« Reply #705 on: June 17, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »
Gina - one of the reasons they don't want to take Annie back is the cost.  It's $600 for just walking in the door.  (although, the vet at OSU said they would give them a discount)

Kay and Dr. Muese felt they should have kept Annie at least one more day before releasing her to make sure her fever was gone on it's own, without any of the anti-fever medicine Annie was getting at OSU.

Poor Kay is getting conflicting vet information . . . one from the OSU vet, and the other from Dr. Muese.  (hmmm, this will probably sound familiar to some of our Sjoggie members - when they get conflicting reports from their doctors too!   ::))

The last I checked on Annie, she was following Tease around and around the stall.  Annie wanted to nurse, but Tease won't stop long enough for her to get a drink!

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

olmphoto2

« Reply #706 on: June 17, 2011, 08:57:56 AM »
High alert here:

http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=littlecreekside

Gina, I am so sorry to say that very harsh, extreme financial realities are intervening in a heartbreaking way here.  I'm sure everything Kay is doing today is through her tears.  We'll pray so hard for them all.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

olmphoto2

« Reply #707 on: June 17, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »
Downgraded to low alert here (yeah, I saw her eating too!  ;) :

http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=littlecreekside
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

olmphoto2

« Reply #708 on: June 17, 2011, 10:49:01 AM »
Gina, I certainly don't have a full picture here.  What I do know is that, yes, someone contacted Kay and Rusty with an offer of a donation to help allow Annie, along with Tease, to be taken to a university medical center for treatment.  The original estimate of cost was a minimum of over 1,000 dollars a day for 2 to 3 days. I suspect that the daily costs incurred were considerably more than that as Annie's care unfolded. They were there five days.  And the family was very stressed by charges already generated by veterinary care even before that.

The only place information was written about how to donate (written by some of us who searched out the details) was on a social networking site where that was allowable.  Unfortunately, the particular center itself set up it's promised ability for people to make donations only a few minutes before they closed for the weekend on Friday.  I'm sure donations were relatively limited. 

Something to consider too:  It's a fact that it's never permissible to include information on how to donate to a cause like this on a forum such as ours.  Moderators and owners can and do shut down threads, sometimes ban members for doing such.  Here and also on the QB forum and Marestare there are strict rules against 'soliciting', even if you personally receive no gain---and others are asking for the information.  That is certainly understandable and the rules are there to protect us all.  For these reason, I think we can all see the limitations there have been in this situation.

My heart goes out to all involved, including each of us who have been following along on this poignant journey of Annie Joy.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Nancy60

« Reply #709 on: June 17, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
I feel so bad for Kay and her husband, and Annie and Tease.  I was so hoping Annie was out of the woods.  I hate that Kay is getting conflicting recommendations from her vets, that is so hard especially when it is life and death decisions. 

I understand the money constraints too, my dog nearly died from immune mediated hemolytic anemia, where her immune system destroyed nearly all of her red blood cells.  I took her to 4 different vets before finding one that could save her, she was near death in my arms, they had to do a blood transfusion on her (the vet used his own dog for the transfusion!) and she went on steroids and chemo for nearly a year, spent many days in the vet hospital and I really had to consider stopping treatment because it cost so much.  In fact I took her home and did round the clock care with her for a week or so to cut costs with just phone advise from my Vet, thankfully she made it.  It is heart wrenching making those decisions when the medical technology is there to save them, but it is so costly that many pet owners can't afford it and have to choose to treat at home and possibly put their pet down.  I can tell you even with doing some of the care for my dog myself, it cost me over $5000 to get her healthy again. 

Keeping the prayers going for Annie that she will get better.  Never give up hope!!

Nancy

olmphoto2

« Reply #710 on: June 17, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

olmphoto2

« Reply #711 on: June 17, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »
From Kay:

Temp is still a bit high today but not as bad as yesterday

video of them last night on grass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2iqzNlJsY
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

olmphoto2

« Reply #712 on: June 18, 2011, 04:21:16 AM »
Fom Kay last night:

hi all

Xrays look good! Dr was worried as her temp is a bit high still tonight so he was scared she might have abcesses on her lungs but she did not!

He started a new antibiotic shot she gets every 4 days as its a whopper. Thats the shot he gave her. He said she will be very sore from it so not to be concerned if she limps

He is determined to knock out this infection

I will give her oral meds 2x day and 1 shot 1 time per day.

Did you all see the power go out? Dang storm hit right when we were doing xrays

----------------------

Well there is still a tiny bit of pnemonia but its so small that he feels that is not what is causing the fever. We just dont know at this point. Resp rate is way too high again. 100. He loves the fan we have on her but I had to move it as Tease is trying to climb over the top. We are going to have to fix a board or somethign at the top of it tomorrow. Its cooling off here now since the storm hit. Dang it I forgot to block the bottom of the stall with hay so annie doesnt roll under. I have to run back out there

------------------

Yes she is just one of those odd cases wouldnt you know it? dang.

I laughed so hard when she went to kick Dr Muese. Tease bit him on the head. I felt so bad. But that was when we were trying to give her the shot and sally was in the truck

--------------------

Poor Sally was laying her head down because shes so dang tired. They have been working since 7 am this morning

------------------

The vets all said ... to culture Teases uterus 30 days from Annies foal date to be sure there is not an infection in there that originally started this but you cant do it until 30 days have passed.

------------------

Poor sally just texted me they are on another call.

She took such a cute pic of doc holding annie. cant wait for her to send it to me [no pic as yet this a.m.]

--------------------

[barn time is et 1 a.m. now]

Im going to go to bed too. I always get so tired after wrestling with Tease and Annie. I think its just the stress not the physical part. I cant tell you all how much I now hate these shots.

I keep praying that soon Annie and Tease can live a normal horse life and just eat and play with their buddies in the herd.

Sally will probably come give that shot in 4 days as its a huge needle and I told them I just cant do it. Yep I am a wuss. I can handle the 1 shot per day but not that big one

-----------------

[we love you Kay----hang in there!!!!]
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

olmphoto2

« Reply #713 on: June 18, 2011, 05:05:12 AM »
Nite nite babe of mine!  :D

Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

olmphoto2

« Reply #714 on: June 18, 2011, 06:30:35 AM »
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

olmphoto2

« Reply #715 on: June 18, 2011, 06:42:59 AM »
Birth!  :D It's a 'boy'!
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #716 on: June 18, 2011, 07:05:05 AM »
I, for one, am sure glad that when I had my baby I didn't have to lick him after he was born - the nurses cleaned him off!!   :o   :D

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

olmphoto2

« Reply #717 on: June 18, 2011, 10:40:48 AM »
Yes, Bucky, and it's WHERE they lick 'em the most that adds yo the 'ewww' factor!  :o :D ;)

Annie and Tease snoozing mid morning:
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

olmphoto2

« Reply #718 on: June 18, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
From Kay...

Good Morning ...

Im having trouble finding anyone to help give Annie her morning meds so we will just have to be late. I hate that. But theres no way I can get the orals in without someone holding her. Saturdays are bad day to give meds as no one is here.

Sally called and put together a horsewomans dinner for tonight. How fun is that? She said we have all had a tough week and need some fun. I am really looking forward to a dinner with 7 other horsewomen! What will we talk about? Horses, horses horses! LOL

--------------

[before ten barn time]
Finally gave annie her meds. Shes running a slight fever. At least not a big one like before.

Big storm headed in so if cam goes down its because we lost power again.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Nancy60

« Reply #719 on: June 18, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
Aww, such great pictures of Tease and Annie!  Annie is certainly growing alot!  That is a good sign!  I'm glad her fever is a little better.  Poor little thing, I know how I feel when I run persistent low grade fevers, and hers have been more than low grade.  I hope these antibiotics finally do the trick.

Had a good day today, got my hair cut and went shopping this morning, found some shoes and got some new reading glasses (prescription since the off the shelf ones didn't really work that well).  Came home and picked up a little, then laid down for a little nap and almost missed dinner!  I always get together with my sisters family and my mom for dinner on Saturdays, but almost slept through it!  We went out and I had crab crusted flounder with green beans and seasoned rice, really good!  I just got home a little while ago, had to check here and see how everyone was doing.  Hope everyone here had a nice Saturday too!

Nancy