Author Topic: Which state is the best to live in...  (Read 2238 times)

twilite

Which state is the best to live in...
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:05:38 PM »
if you have sjogrens?  I am looking to relocate and I want to move to a climate that will make me feel better.  I have very dry skin, RA, and am always coughing up gunk.

~Twilite

bloodless

Re: Which state is the best to live in...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:46:56 PM »
Arizona is supposed to be good for arthritis...
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »
High Desert for fibro. No idea for Sjogren's.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eyeamdry

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 01:33:37 AM »
I'd prefer Hawaii although I've never been there and have lived my whole life in Michigan.  Yeah, If I ever become a millioniare.

I have been in AZ, NV,FL and some of the hotter states for a trip or visit and I must say that I prefer moisture in the air.  I do not like dry climates and high areas, forget it I can't breathe.  Went to see Grand Canyon once and that will be my on.y trip.

SueAnn

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 04:24:51 AM »
Twilite,

I live in Florida and I don't think I would be able to live in a colder climate.  I have lived in Michigan and Texas, although not when I had a Sjogren's dx.  I was in Michigan last year during the winter and loved being able to walk into a warm house after being outside.  Here in Florida, my house is not set up to hold in the heat and it can be very cold during the winters and I have to go outside to warm up if it is nice out.   I also have to do this if I am in Michigan during the summer and my mom has the a/c on.

I think any state is going to present it's own set of problems depending on you and your symptoms.  I would visit any place that you plan to relocate at several different times during the year if you are looking for the absolute best place for you to live with this pain in the butt disease.

Best of luck,
SueAnn
Sjs
Cellcept, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis, and Tramadol.
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D3
Female - 50ish

LizPetillo

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:47:22 AM »
Philadelphia has the best sjogrens doctors.   (Vivino .. Mandel)
But be sure to live West of the city to get out of the drift of the air pollution. 

hikerknees

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »
Hi Twilite,
I agree with SueAnn that any place will present it's own set of good and bad.  I would opt for more humidity if I could--I live in high desert and that is hard on the eyes, etc (I was just in Ohio for a week and it was good to rehydrate).  Don't think I could take too much cold anymore, however heat fatigue also seems to be increasing for me.  Let us know if you find a place that works, maybe we could set up an Sjs utopia- lol!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
My oldest daughter loves the humidity on Vancouver Island.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »
Twilite,

I don't have Sjogren's, but I have Sicca.   I discovered the sicca IN Hawaii, where there's always a breeze.

Yes the weather is marvelous there all of the time, but there is a breeze too, which can dry your eyes.

I've lived in El Paso, in high desert at 4,000 feet.   Marvelous weather, but very dry.  Humidifier necessary all winter.   And there is a constant breeze, again, which can be very drying.

The heat in El Paso isn't nearly as bad as in Phoenix, not as hot because it's so high.   Unfortunately there isn't anything else but nice weather in El Paso, and the medical services are abominable.

I've lived in Kansas, which is the worst of all possible worlds.  Very hot and humid in the summer, and lots of snow and cold in the winter. 

Rhode Islands (4 years) and Boston (25 years)  are very nice, but the winters and cold damp springs finally got me down.

We lived for 12 years Northeast of Atlanta, and the countryside is beautiful and the weather was mild, but the summer were hot and humid.

Over the years I have become more and more uncomfortable with hot humid weather, which is good for my eyes, but nothing else.

Four years in El Paso.

But NOW we are in North Carolina, Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill area.   The winter is very mild, and summer will be hot and humid of course.  BUT:  we have two outstanding medical centers, Duke and UNC, and lots of marvelous scenery, 90 minutes from the Atlantic seacoast, everything is new and sparkly, the daffodils and flowering trees are all in bloom, and it is 70 degrees at 10:30 am.

We specifically picked out North Carolina for the weather, medical centers, and beauty.   Lots of culture, reasonable traffic, moderate cost of living.

Of course we had lived on the East Coast for 41 years when we moved here.  So it really feels 'right' to us.  And one of our two sons and his family live about 12 minutes away by car!

We live in Cary, which is a very progressive and new city of about 140,000.  Lots of transplants and a place to make new friends easily even in your 60's and 70's!   Amazing!

I was worried that my arthritis might bother me more after 4 years in the high desert, but I don't think so.

And of course as soon as you need hot air heat, I need my humidifier running 24/7.

I am truly astounded at the quality of medical care......we are part of the Duke System, everything is computerized, you get your test results ON LINE within DAYS, with your doctor's comments if any.

ON LINE you get appointment reminders, can MAKE appointments, all your meds are listed, and procedures, your bills everything.
All doctors and hospitals in the systems can see everything, all tests by all doctors, etc.  It's fantastic.

The area isn't congested, but but things aren't very far apart, either.  It's hard to explain.

It's like the best of New England, but in the mid Atlantic, with almost no snow and ice, or seriously cold weather.

LOL, doing a hard sell here, I guess.

Keep us posted on what you decide or are thinking.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-GERD-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

Liz D.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
Elaine,

You make me want to move to North Carolina!!!

Liz D.
51 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), hypothryoidism, asthma
Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Asmanex, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg., Prozac 40 mg.,  Xanax as needed.

mews

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
Hhahaha

Don't...

Mary

ohiolady

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
We live in Ohio for six months of the year and Florida the other six months.  I feel it is a perfect combo and we have children in both areas.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 59

matthew1988

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to sjogrens in general.  I have a mild case compared to what some people deal with, mostly just uncomfortably dry eyes and mouth, and a little dry skin. The fatigue is also a bit of an issue. Anyway, Im wondering about climates and Phoenix in general and had a question. I was just offered a great job in Phoenix, but I know its an extremely dry climate. I currently live in southern california where its relatively humid with mild winters. I'm wondering if living in phoenix is manageable with this disorder? Would you avoid living there if possible? Are you able to get by with sjogrens living in such a dry place? When you guys travel to dry areas is it miserable? Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks!

Matt

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »
Matthew 1988:   if you are young, you are likely to be okay in Phoenix....that is with mild symptoms right now.  The thing is, you are close (and perhaps connected professionally??) to Southern California..and could go back. 

Elaine:   Do you work for the Chamber of Commerce?  I TOO want to move to Cary.  If you do NOT work for the C of C, call them and apply for a job.

Where to live??  I am in SE Texas..live near a booming community of The Woodlands, TX.  It's really a subdivision.  They have everything + two Houston Medical Center hospitals.  It is about 45 minutes from the Houston Medical Center.  My doctors are in The Woodlands.  I am far enough north of Galveston we have had one hurricane which actually affected this area in my entire life.  Though I haven't lived here for all of my 71 years, I was raised here...then left for 44 years.  Moved back shortly after I was widowed.  All my life I hated the humidity (curly hair)...but now I can't wait for the summer.  Everywhere down here is air conditioned....and that can be hard on the eye condition. 

Everything has its drawbacks and its draws. 
Primary Sjogren's, GERD, Asthma, Cold hands and feet...but no red/purple, Sialadenitis, Stomach/digestion problems, sudden onset fatique, Psoriasis, Psoriatic arthritis (mild) Teeth discoloration, pilocarpine, Orasoothe, Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon- Tears Naturale, Nexium, Celebrex, Pilates Reformer

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
Hi CCcourt, looks like we're neighbors. I live in Kingwood and my doctors are at Baylor. This winter is brutal and of course our summers are hot and humid. I like it here though the best. I lived in West Texas with dry air, east texas and Madisonville Louisianna. What I like about Houston is if you don't like the weather just wait a bit, it will change again.
Sicca, IBS, GERD,Raynauds,copd,sernogative RA, fms, cramp fasciculation syndrome, humira, requip,Restasis, symbecort, nexium, zantac, B2, B6, spiriva, muscles weakness, alledonyia all over, acephalgic migrain never stops!