Author Topic: Cystic Pimples  (Read 3640 times)

dainbramage

Cystic Pimples
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »
Okay, I am having problems with pimples that are so deep under my skin that they hurt and turn red. I look like a pizza face. My nose is so dry, but it is my chin and back of my hair line. I have tried selsum blue, head and shoulders, acne cream, I wash my face with sensitive clean and clear, I use a toner, I use heat to try to bring them out so they won't hurt so bad but that don't work..................any suggestions? I also have deep blackheads on my chin anything for that too...I keep trying things.....so embarrassing!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:03:12 AM by dainbramage »
44 with SJS, IBSc, migraines, brain fog and fibro. Dry skin, burning tongue, dry mouth, swollen glands, dry female area, numb toes, tingling fingers. On plaquenil, pilocarpine, cymbalta, zyrtec, provigil, vit D, mag, Amitiza for IBS, treximet for migraines.
I Live For Chocolate

lola19

Re: Cystic Pimples
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »
I get those too and they do hurt!  What helps me tremendously is to put some benzyl peroxide on the cystic pimple and then put some over the counter cortisone cream on it.  I do this three times a day.  If I catch it early enough it is much better within a day. 

dainbramage

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
I have tried both of those. I am reading up on cystic acne and it sounds like another doctor. Seems only a shot of cortisone in the pimple will help. Seems hormones are the reason not diet or facial cleaning helps. There was something about acidophilus. Will try anything.
44 with SJS, IBSc, migraines, brain fog and fibro. Dry skin, burning tongue, dry mouth, swollen glands, dry female area, numb toes, tingling fingers. On plaquenil, pilocarpine, cymbalta, zyrtec, provigil, vit D, mag, Amitiza for IBS, treximet for migraines.
I Live For Chocolate

lola19

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:23:22 AM »
I'm sorry that didn't help you.  Another bad thing about that type of acne is that it can scar really bad and they take forever to fade.  Yup - sounds like a dermatologist is in your future!

irish

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 10:49:25 AM »
These cystic issues can also turn into a bad widespread infection so they are best dealt with by a dermatologist. They do leave some bad scars also. I would advise anyone with this to see a dermatologist as it requires special care. Irish ;D

mando621

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
Hi,

I had acne quite bad years ago, and I finally ended up clear. I tried everything under the sun. I found a site online that provided tons of help with my acne, and if it is okay to put it here, it is on acne (dot) org.  It is benzoyl peroxide but low concentration. I also use a moisturizer for the first time, and it actually helps keep me clear.

Over drying skin is bad for acne. Being dry to begin with and then drying it out even more is terrible for sjogren's and acne. You might want to add an oil free moisturizer and an alpha hydoxy lotion.

Gentle care is absolutely necessary. Gentle washing with a cleanser that isn't too harsh also. I'm amazed at how clear my skin is now. I do have bleached out collars on my blouses, but I'd rather deal with that than acne.

Give it a try.

coopwall

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
Dainbramage: (Love the name!)
I've had these for years and there are more of them as I age.  I've started paying the Dermatologist to treat them.  The PA puts numbing cream on my face, then inserts a heated needle to drain each one.  She can do 15-20 at a time.  I pay $100 for this because it is considered cosmetic.

I get these treatments every 3-4 mo.  The spots heal in about 2 wks.

coopwall

shortstuff

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:01:18 PM »
Definitely go to a dermatologist.  I've been going almost my whole life.  I've gotten the Kenalog injections to get rid of nasty zits that last for weeks.  They don't always work, though.  Last fall I had a zit for 6 weeks before and after the injection.  But it's better than trying to go it on your own.  I use Atralin, which has Retin-A but also moisturizes.  It causes your skin to peel off at a quicker rate (sounds gross) so stuff doesn't get clogged in your pores causing the zits.  The doc can find different things for you to try.  It does stink to have to go to yet another one, though.  I've been doing that for 23 years, so I'm used to it.

One other thing worth noting - I had a funky thing on my chin for quite some time and the derm determined it was actually a staph infection, gave me antibiotic cream and cleared it up. But now and again I have to use the cream around my nose because staph kinda lives in there and can cause eruptions.....another reason why it's worth having a professional give a look.

dainbramage

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
coopwall,
What did the dermatologist say about them? Hormones or age or what? If they were regular size, I would be okay, but they are huge and painful. What made you decide to go to dermatologist? My sanity and vanity is at its limit.
I Live For Chocolate

gsmraxe

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
I developed cystic acne in my early 20s.  (I'm 42 now).  I made the mistake of taking Accutane to treat the acne.  Got rid of the acne, but I believe it caused my SJS or triggered it as AI diseases run in the family.  I was fine before the first time I took it, but after the 2nd, the side effects never went away and they're worse now.

If a dr suggests to take Accutane, think twice about it.  Nobody has died of acne that I know of, it's unsightly and painful (mine used to freaking HURT!), but if I could go back and do it all over again, I'd have told the dermatologist to stuff it and just cope with the acne.

Good luck!

dainbramage

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »
I got an appointment in May...however my chin area looks like a war zone and painful. I did try the asprin and water mix until pastelike and put it on the pimples at night, when I woke the swelling was down and so was the redness. I have tried a lot of things.
I Live For Chocolate

Keiko

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
Have you tried Hibiclens? It's a liquid soap, you can get it over the counter at your pharmacy.  My Derm recommended it as part of my treatment for a topical MRSA skin infection.  Now I use it for breakouts and it clears things up pretty quickly.  Just be sure to read the warnings about where NOT to use Hibiclens, it's pretty powerful stuff.

dainbramage

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
No I haven't tried that, but I work with it in the hospital. I have some at home and I will try that. Thanks
I Live For Chocolate

BonusMom

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07:24 PM »
I developed cystic acne in my early 20s.  (I'm 42 now).  I made the mistake of taking Accutane to treat the acne.  Got rid of the acne, but I believe it caused my SJS or triggered it as AI diseases run in the family.  I was fine before the first time I took it, but after the 2nd, the side effects never went away and they're worse now.

If a dr suggests to take Accutane, think twice about it.  Nobody has died of acne that I know of, it's unsightly and painful (mine used to freaking HURT!), but if I could go back and do it all over again, I'd have told the dermatologist to stuff it and just cope with the acne.

Good luck!

I took two courses of Accutane in the mid-late 90's and am convinced that it caused/contributed to SjS! 

coopwall

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »
Dainbramage,
Sorry I did not answer.  Life got in the waY!! LOL

I went to the Dermat because when I was in for yrly.  mole check, the tech mention that they could drain the big ones on my face. they started looking like big white moles because the oil was building up.  Nothing I did would drain them (not heat, squeezing)/   I was 62 when I started going for these treatments about twice a year. 

I've had many of the big red angry ones also in the past.

The Phys. Asst. does them and she says they are from aging.  No one ever admits that SJS is the root cause of anything, but I believe that it is a factor.  Also remember that at the Dermat. office they may be able to give you ointments that can dry these up before they get large and painful!

Good luck!!