Author Topic: Buspar, cymbalta, celexa, lexapril...advice please!!  (Read 3775 times)

Sha

Buspar, cymbalta, celexa, lexapril...advice please!!
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:37:26 AM »
My GP won't continue me on valium long term although it works great!!

She gave me a choice of buspar, cymbalta, celexa, or lexapril.

Have any of you had any experiences with any of these?

If so, any side effects etc. calming effect is what i am looking for as it is for anxiety; uh, reason why valium works so well...fast acting when ya need it!!

I wear an allergy bracelet for a reason!!

Sha :-*

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
Re: Buspar, cymbalta, celexa, lexapril...advice please!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:28:43 AM »
I would suggest, meditation, carrot juice, Dark cherries, inositol, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Acetyl L carnitine. But I think you know that.

I did not like any of them or should I say the side effects that came with them.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Seeker

• Where's the Coffee?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:36:41 AM »
Howdy Sha, I agree with Joe, the natural way is the best way.  However, Cymbalta works well.  It seems to have the least side effects.   Just remember, before you start on any new medication, check to see if there will be any interactions with the other drugs you are taking. 

Seeker

Every day I check the obituaries, in the news paper.  If my name is not there, I know I am still alive.  (Walter Brennan) 
Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.

Sha

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:45:36 AM »
Lol joe....if i had time to even go to a nature store, i would, but ask my twinzy....i don't even have time to fit anything in for mom until soccer is over and it just started!! Calendar from he!l!

seeker~what did cymbalta do for ya? is the affect instant, or does it have to build in body?

Gotta run! Seems i never STOP!

dry2010

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:45 AM »
I take Lexapro as I was advised that works best for anxiety. We did try Cymbalta not long enough to tell because it was very constipating. I take 20mg of Lexapro and they wanted me to get to 90mg of Cymbalta before it would help the anxiety.

Dry2010
Diagnosed SJS March 2010, Gerd, Plaquenil & Generic Evoxac, Vit d, ACV for GERD, Welbutrin,Flonase and Lotemax.

Seeker

• Where's the Coffee?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:51 AM »
Howdy Sha, It was my father inlaw who took Cymbalta.  It was for Neuralgia and it's calming effects.  It did take time to build up in his system.  Constipation was a problem.  But a good stool softener solved that problem.

Seeker
Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.

Sha

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
Dry2010....is lexapro instant for anxiety?

seeker~see that's why i don't get why not just leave me on what is working instantly!! When i need it, and if i get anxious 3 x a day, then so be it....wth! Ya all know what i meant to say!LOL

She only had me on 5 mg 3 x a day for 10 days which i made it last 14 cuz didn't take it 3 x sometimes.

Now she has me on 5 mg once a day, but i hope that is all i get anxious (once a day) cuz i'm f'd if i get anxiety more than that!LOL

Gotta laugh or i would  :'(

sickofbeingsick

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:20:33 AM »
I am not a drug expert by any means but diazpam (vallium) can get addicting. I take it for Meniere's and it does work wonders. BUT when I go thru periods where I need it every day....when my body is coming off of the vallium I get even dizzier and need to take another one. My doctor said it is a very addicting drug (but it works!)

I used to be on Lexapro last summer. I LOVED IT. I went off when I found out I was pregnant (I lost the baby but I was determined to stay off the Lex and fight thru my anxiety). I have been off it 8 months now and am doing pretty good. I tried the generic version and that did nothing for me. Lex kicked in about 10 days after taking it. I would love to go back on it but I keep adding more and more medicines to my daily "diet" it seems and the monthly co-pays are a killer!

Side effects-I was always tired, possibly gained a little weight. It took about 2 weeks after going off it to feel ok again. I had HORRIBLE spins, headaches, couldn't sleep.

Hope this helped. GOOD LUCK!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
Hi Sha,

OK, I've taken a few things over the years in the antidepressant category.  

I have found that most of them did a good job on pain, but over time things sometimes stop being effective.   I don't know why.

As far as I know, none of them have the 'instant effect' that you're looking for, Sha.

I started Cymbalta a year ago because it is on-label for the pain of neuropathy.  

It does an amazing job for me, so far.

Usually people take it in the morning, as an antidepressant, but for my pain relief taking it at night is essential.

But, Sha, each of us reacts differently to medications.

I'm not sure about the calming effect because I'm pretty calm, and anxiety hasn't been a problem.

But I've also been on one antidepressant or another since probably 1988, or thereabouts, when Prozac came on the market.

I think the problem with the benzodiazapines, like Valium, Klonopin, Ativan, etc, is that they are meant for short term interruption of anxiety attacks.

When my husband had anxiety attacks related to an illness and a reaction to a medication, he took Ativan, but the frequency slowed down and the attacks went away and haven't returned.    He never took it daily.

So your doctor is probably looking for something you can take regularly that will maybe stop you from getting the anxiety.

I have a family member who was taking Klonopin for severe anxiety and wound up with a toxic buildup in her system and hospitalization.   In a panic attack she would sometimes takes up to five tablets in an effort to stop it.

Anxiety and panic are horrible to experience.

Sha, I hope you can find what you need.

Keep us posted.

Kisses

Elaine

Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuropathy-CAD-Osteoarthritis-POTS-Auto.Neuro-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-Alpha Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric,more..

CAT1962

• JER. 33:3
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »
I took Clelexa. I don't know why it didn't work for me. Do you mean Lexapro? I took that after Celexa. Worked but I gained 15 pounds in 3 months on it. Buspar?? OMG...horrible. Made me feel like I was vibrating! LOL Completely messed with my nervous system. I have a friend on Cymbalta and she raves about it, but I haven't tried it.
Primary SjS, hair loss, achy joints/muscles, dry skin/eyes/nose/mouth/EHEM, Low Vit D, low potass., high CRP, Asthma (Albuterol), CFS, Fibro, RA, thyroid nodules,PN..MED: singulair, cal-mag-zinc, Ibuprohen, NO steroids, NO Plaquenil.

susan

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »
I had the same response to Buspar that CAT did-----was hospitalized at the time & it made me feel so wired & agitated that I could hardly lie in bed. UGH.
I develop heavy bruising with all of the ssri drugs.

dbab

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
I think all of those have to build up in your body (if not mistaken) but that may be why the doc is still letting you have the valium at this time.  Yeah so the FDA doesn't approve of long term use of benzos which is why doctors don't rx them for long term unless they have tried everything else I believe.  I know for me they put a certification letter in my medical file (both doctors - my rheumy and neuro) that it was part of a regimine on my headache treatment.  Overboard, IDK, but jeez I only take .5mg of xanax a day lol. (one tiny morsel pill  ::))

I hope you find a med that works for you.  I know there are quite a few out there.  I've heard more positive about Lexapro than any others... more negatives about Paxil and Prozac if that helps  :-\

Nathan

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »
Burspar is considerably different from the other three drugs you have listed. Those are all SSRIs (Well Cymbalta is a SNRI, but is still very similar) and come with the standard SSRI-related side effects (insomnia, potentially bad discontinuation syndrome, etc). Burspar is generally better tolerated, and is used only as an anti-anxiety med. It does take about 2 weeks minimum for it to cause any noticable effect though, so that's why most docs give you benzos to last you until that period of time. I've taken it before, but I don't anymore (I don't mesh well with psych meds of any kind). Do your homework and see what you're willing to try (and potentially deal with). If you have neuropathic pain, the S(S/N)RIs are the best though.

Sha

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 01:24:51 AM »
Thanks guys!! Smooches to all! :-* :-*

I am worried about taking any of em listed cuz of my allergies...i was on tramadol 4 times a day and she cut me back to 2 then up to 3....it has ssri qualities, so think that would be better deal if she would just let me take my 4 again instead of trying a new drug!!

I am already allergic (severe, like tongue swelling and that uncontrollable muscle stuff) to phenergan, reglan, inapsine, compasine, indomethacin (indocin) and orap....those are all i know of for now and don't want to know of any more!!

I think i may just do my research after this soccer tourny this very cold weekend, yes...soccer has started  full force, and my 8 yo was offered to tryout for competitive league her 10 yo sis is in for her goalie skills....so she may be doing recreational with her rec team and competitive $$$ traveling also cuz we can't just leave her rec team without a goalie!! They already freak when she isn't 15 min early for the game! ;) She's good! My 10 yo is a forward on a competative team and does VERY WELL! Hers is also a traveling team, so need to be able to function now!!

Smooches to all! :-*

rnathans

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
Just a heads up. You have to be careful mixing tramadol with SSRIs according to my internist. The combination can cause something called serotonin syndrome. Since I am on an SSRI he told me not to take more than one tramadol a day.