Author Topic: Baby aspirin  (Read 1397 times)

balor123

Baby aspirin
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
Do any of you take this for Sjogren's? Does it help?

newhorizons

Re: Baby aspirin
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
balor,

I take 325 mg on occasion. Helps with especially facial sinus area and just an old dull head pain. Hard to find on store shelves though my pharmacy can get it for me ::)

I try to stay away from 500 mg OTC...as they bother my gastro system.   

Searched Cymbalta/duloxatine and found FDA approved it for bad OA and lower back pain in late 2010.
Had mentioned to my Duke rheumy that I felt the combination of serotomin and norepinephrine circulating through my brain and spinal cord was acting as a pain agent.  He gave me the AH moment look...it sure is helping with pain management for me.

The Duke neuro originally gave C to me for peripheral neuropathy and Fibro.

Joy

Carolina

• Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
I've taken baby aspirin for ever, mostly for my coronary artery disease.

Cymbalta and Trileptal are my pain relief saviours.

Kisses

Elaine
Female. 72 CVID.Sjogren's,IC.Periph.Neuropathy.Anemia,Copper Def.Raynauds,CAD,Osteoarthritis,Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness.Hiatal Hernia,Fordyce Spots,IVIG Gamunex,Medrol Atenolol,Pilocarpine,Aleve,Copper,Cymbalta,Nasonex,Lipitor,Estrogel,B-12,Iron,Alpha Lipoic,D-Mannose,NAC,Co-Q10,Turmeric,O

balor123

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »
I've read that Sjogren's neurological problems, other than autoantibodies, are largely caused by small vessel vasculities so I thought baby aspirin might help. I didn't mention that specifically to my rheumatologist but he said I didn't need to take it. My dad claims that it isn't a problem for my kidneys to take it long term, even at my age. It seemed like my leg hurt less when I was on it but I guess it is a painkiller.

season

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:41:23 PM »
I take a simple little chewable baby asprin everyday and it does help with the pain.

My rheumy always asks me when i see her if I still take it and she says "good" when I tell her yes.
female 58

primary Sjogrens, hypertension, aching joints, numbness and tingling in legs, dry eyes, nose, mouth; trigemenal neuralgia; irregular heartbeat, gastritis, diverticulosis, hi-hernia

meds: baby asprin, lorazepam as needed,  fish oil, Diovan for BP, Plaquenil, Salagen, Prevecid,

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:48:48 PM »
I take the 81mg , because had blood clot in leg several years ago.

susanep  :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, asthma, Polycystic ovaries, and Gerd. Meds - Pilocarpine, Synthroid, Effexor, Cpap, aspirin, Prilosec, Neurontin, Xanax, eye Drops, vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Proventil- Retired Teacher/Disabled

irish

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »
Baby aspirin is usually taken on a daily basis to help prevent blood clots. They used to use the 325mgm tablets years ago but found that the 80 mgm worked just as well and probably less irritating to the stomach. Also, aspirin has an anti-inflammatory effect. It was the "gold standard" treatment for people with RA for years. The problem was that when given for the rheumatoid arthritis it needed to be given on a regular basis which meant around 325 mgm 2 tabs every 4 hours. Generally 4 times a day and sometimes more. The problem with higher dose aspirin or with even a lower dose aspirin taken on a regular basis is that it causes ringing in the ears. Doesn't take too much Aspirin before this starts.

The antidepressants are not a pain killer in the traditional sense. They help relieve pain by changing the way the brain receives and interprets the pain stimulus. You will find many times on this board that posts will mention anatidepressant drugs for pain issues. Most generally the neuropathy is what is relieved the most.

People whose brain chemicals are screwed up generally are more irritable and pain is magnified for them. There are many drugs that were generally used for some other problem and then found to help pain. Gabapentin is one of them. It was originally used as an antiseizure drug. IRish ;D

hikerknees

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »
Hi
I take the baby aspirin twice a day, I have some issues with my vision but since it is sort of weird my rheumy isn't sure it is all SjS related.  I do have that valvular flap problem with my heart (about half of us do and it usually isn't any problem, I can't remember the name of it) so JUST IN CASE my heart is sending out little emboli my doc put me on it as a blood thinner.  Since there seem to be other neurovascular things going on, likely due to SjS, I am giving it this trial run for a year.  It doesn't seem to upset my stomach any more than anything else, and I don't see any change in my pain.
Hope this is helpful
oh yeah, it is patent ductus arteriosis, altho that probably isn't how you spell it
Primary Sjs, GERD, Pos ANA, SSA, SSB, 53 yo female
Plaquenil, Zantac, HRT, Lacto, Fish oil, Daily, B, C, and D vits,

Nancy60

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »
I take 1 baby aspirin a day (81 mg) for sticky blood.  I have the anticardiolipin antibodies and Lupus anticoagulant that can cause blood clots and "sticky blood", although I have never had a blood clot.  My rheumy started me on the baby aspirin when those tests came back positive.  They have rechecked a few times and they continue to be positive so I am on the baby aspirin probably for life. 

Nancy