Author Topic: A better anti-inflammatory?  (Read 1662 times)

Smudge

A better anti-inflammatory?
« on: February 14, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
My rheumatologist put me on Lodine, 400mg 2x/day.  It's a joke.  It will barely take the edge off for a couple hours (if I don't move around) but leaves me with another ten hours with nothing.  I was doing as well with Aleve, but I was taking too many. 

I'll be going back in the 25th after a two-week trial of the Lodine and Salagen.  I guess I'm just hoping there's something better out there that will help with severe spinal arthritis (seeing a surgeon in April,) generalized OA and my danged feet.  Nothing seems to help the feet.   :-\

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: A better anti-inflammatory?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »
I do not use traditional meds of this ailment. I used foot patches for 31 days and that seemed to take most pain out of my feet. They are made from activated charcoal and dried apple cider vinegar. Your feet have to sweat for these to work, so I wore socks to bed.

One of the neurologists I saw suggested Alpha Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, and B12 to reverse neuropathy.

I also take 6-8 oz of carrot juice for pain. It has what your body needs to build more endorphins. I use Hand and Body Reflexology to send those endorphins where I need them most.

bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

dbab

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 06:05:35 AM »
I took Lodine for a while also and it didn't do much for me also.  The problem with NSAIDs is there are so many of them (I mean LOTS!) and its so trial and error.  Plus the side effects of them are so horrible.  I'm taking Sulindac and out of all the many I've tried its been the most relieving although now IT IS starting to wear off on me now.  My doc is pushing Tramadol on me like no ones business but I can't take it... my body doesn't like it.  The scares on the NSAIDs with cardiac risks scare me also but I don't want to be in more pain because if those two little Sulindacs are helping just a little, I take them even with when the risk scares the bejeezees out of me (my husband gets mad knowing all the side effects so I don't even talk to him about the risks). 

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 06:55:39 AM »
Hi Smudge,

We all have issues finding the right anti-inflammatory.

For one thing, something that helps me, might do nothing for you, or make you miserable!

We're all so different.

I take omeprazole to offset the  gastrological damage that often accompanies NSAIDS.  I take two Aleve in the morning, two at night.   Plus I take Cymbalta and Trileptal.  Both of which help with pain.

I try to put the possible side effects into perspective, if possible.

The thing is that all of life is being 'between a rock and a hard place' in many ways.

And of course, no one 'gets out alive"!   

My gynecologist told me that quality of life was often as important as quantity, and making decisions about hormone treatment, for example, involved that tradeoff.    Possibly.   We never really KNOW what's next or the future.

I have had good success with my 'pain cocktail'  (mixture of medications.  I'm allergic to codeine, hydrocodone, and Darvon) but I think my success is beginning to fade now.

Either because some of the medications are no longer as effective and/or my pain is increasing  Probably a bit of both.

i have severe cervical spinal arthritis, and am beginning to contemplate surgery, or perhaps injections.   I will see an orthopedist in the next month or two.

I didn't think I would ever consider surgery, but my pain and disability is progressing, and if left as it is, will become irreversible in the near future, I suspect.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Kisses

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3