Author Topic: Wheezing, but tests show lungs ok...  (Read 4608 times)

amberjolie1

Wheezing, but tests show lungs ok...
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
I have a definite wheeze at the end of deep breaths.  Sometimes it's worse than others, sometimes it isn't there, most of the time it is.  It's as if I can feel it.  I've had it for probably a year or two (it may be getting worse), but all lung functioning tests I've had have come out just fine.  Both the exercise and other lung tests.

So I don't get it.  Is it possible my lungs are just dry without anything actually wrong with them, so that's what I'm hearing? Anybody have any info that might relate to this?

My concerns during the functioning tests is - how do they know if there's a problem?  I had been quite physically active when younger, even until a few years ago, so my cardiovascular fitness was probably pretty good.  Is it possible that it's still not bad (even though I haven't been very active lately), and so they aren't seeing something going on?  Or would they see something regardless of someone's baseline fitness level? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
37 yr old female; Scleroderma, possible overlap with rheumatoid arthritis and myositis, Sjogren's, Hashimoto's, taking methotrexate, eltroxin, remicade

DragonflyC

• Sjogren's Style
Re: Wheezing, but tests show lungs ok...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:52:12 AM »
Breathing issues such as air hunger, dry lungs, etc. can definitely be from Sjogren's.  My lung issues (air hunger, the wheeze, and occasional bouts of pleurisy) have all cleared up since my thyroid levels have been adjusted and my Sjogren's has been somewhat calmed by plaquenil.

Before I was diagnosed with anything, my doctor said my air hunger and wheezing were because of "exercise induced asthma" even though all tests showed my lung functions were fine. 

He gave me Advair, which helped, but I now realize it worked because it's a corticosteroid, and it calmed the autoimmune processes in my body that were really behind the problem. 

Definition of dyspnea: http://www.sjogrens.org/home/about-sjogrens-syndrome/glossary

Also interesting: "A review of 343 patients with classic Sjogren's syndrome seen at the Mayo Clinic from 1967 through 1974 revealed pulmonary involvement in 31 patients (9 percent). Cough dyspnea, recurrent pneumonitis, and pleuritic pain were the primary complaints." (http://www.uptodate.com/online/content/abstract.do?topicKey=~N/6/GuLQa27_Q1N&refNum=4-11)

SJS, Hashimoto's, Raynaud's
Plaquenil, Evoxac, Restasis, Levoxyl, fish oil supplements, Vitamin D, NSAIDs, prednisone when flaring
Tested positive for SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

Visit me at http://sjogrensstyle.com for ideas about living well despite autoimmune disease.

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »
Amberjolie,
Did they do a breathing treatment and then repeat the pulmonary function tests?  When I had problems last winter, no problems were indicated until they did the repeat test.   The improvement following the breathing treatment was significant, and I was treated for asthma.

You have my sympathy.   Difficult breathing is so tiring!
Cheryl

amberjolie1

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:44:48 AM »
Hi!

No, I didn't have the tests repeated after a breathing treatment. 

Luckily I'm not having any particular problems with breathing, just this wheeze.  So it's more just a concern because I can't see how wheezing can be okay.  When I was younger I had exercise-induced asthma, but that felt very different; it was a distinct labour in breathing which I'm not having (plus the fact that I'm not exercising much lately).  Although maybe asthma could still be a possibility...my one son may have a cough-variant asthma, because he gets coughs a lot, especially after exercising.

The next time I see one of my docs I'll mention it (of course I'm sure I won't wheeze at that time, isn't that always the way!).
37 yr old female; Scleroderma, possible overlap with rheumatoid arthritis and myositis, Sjogren's, Hashimoto's, taking methotrexate, eltroxin, remicade

mews

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:07:46 AM »
 Cheryl   I too am having problems with my lungs. It started with a pinching feeling when I took a deep breath, now I am having full blown asthma attacks! I just had a breathing test done at the Internists office and it was fine. I have a history of asthma, but it has been totally under control for years. I also just had a chest xray it showed mild hyperinflation of the lungs, weird.. So I'm not sure what is going on.

Feel Well All
Mary

irish

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:56:10 PM »
I would bet you a nickel you have what I have. I can't remember how many years I have had this and docs could never hear my "wheezing". It would always get much worse when I was having an infection. I finally came to the conclusion that it the really thick mucus in my lungs just handing on the sides of the bronchial tubes (airway) and the mucus will rattle when the air passes over it in inspiration and expiration.

I would go to the doc and tell them and they would listen and hear nothing. I still struggle with that to this day. Sometimes It gets so bad that I will feel a little "air hunger" and as soon as I can cough up some of the thick mucus it will get better.

It helps to use inhalers--both Atrovent and Albuterol The albuterol expands the airway and helps give the extra room to cough the mucus out. The atrovent will dry a person out some which is necessary when a person's lungs are loaded with mucus. It will also expand the airway furthur which in turn helps us cough up the mucus.

Try to run a humidifier to help keep your lungs a little more moist. Also, keep hydrated and don't keep your heat cranked up as this will dry your lungs out more and make it worse. irish ;D

Seeker

• Where's the Coffee?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »
Howdy amber,  I notice in your bio that you have Hasimoto's.  Thyroid problems can cause wheezing and shortness of breath.  Has your doctor checked your T3 Thyroid levels?  You may be a poor T4 to T3 converter.   I hope you will feel better soon.

Seeker
Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.

CAT1962

• JER. 33:3
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »
I have asthma. I wheeze all the time. It doesn't always have to be realted to the SjS. Have you had a doctor test for asthma? Peak flows? Lung function?
Primary SjS, hair loss, achy joints/muscles, dry skin/eyes/nose/mouth/EHEM, Low Vit D, low potass., high CRP, Asthma (Albuterol), CFS, Fibro, RA, thyroid nodules,PN..MED: singulair, cal-mag-zinc, Ibuprohen, NO steroids, NO Plaquenil.