Author Topic: When to worry about low blood pressure  (Read 4944 times)

gurs

When to worry about low blood pressure
« on: February 11, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
I started a severe flare last night, and today cannot get out of bed...severe headache/headpain, extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, joint pain..and
my blood pressure is low at 85/66..when do we need to worry about low blood pressure? I did eat today and tried to eat some salty foods like pretzels..
Just curious???

thanks

Gursie
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

dbab

Re: When to worry about low blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:23:30 PM »
Gursie,  shortness of breath (SOB) and low blood pressure, you don't want to ignore.  Can someone get you to see a dr or ER?  I'm thinking that's too way too low coupled with the SOB and even the head pain, it sounds like you got something more than a flare going on...

Sooki

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »
Ditto, what dbab said.  Breathing issues up the ante for all other symptoms.  Don't forget to drink enough water.  If you get dehydrated, your blood volume can decrease, lowering BP further.
65 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet

gurs

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »
Ive had this before..many times...went to the ER and they did sooooo many tests, all came back as a SS/lupus flare..tons of hair loss.
Not sure what to do...taking more medrol, hoping it helps. Nothing seems to help the flares except time.
I will see how I feel in the Am..thanks for the replies
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.

Nancy60

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
That is pretty low BP, I would get it checked out at you Dr. or the ER also.  Make sure you are not only eating, but also drinking plenty of fluids as dehydration is a common cause of Low BP.  Please take it easy, and take your time when coming to sitting and to standing so you don't fall/pass out.  Are you on any BP meds or diuretics?  you might need to talk to you doctor about adjusting those also.  Please put a call into your doctor. Go to the ER if it gets any worse!

Nancy

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:12 PM »
What is a normal BP for you?   I would see the doctor too if it is way off.

I normally run low bp and have even hit lower than the # you gave. BUT that is normal for me. I've always been that way.

Any sudden change in bp, see the dr ASAP.
Good Luck!

gurs

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 06:04:46 AM »
Im not taking any BP meds.....I took  my reading  last night and it went up..this morning Im 117/70. I usually run low, but not as low as yesterday. Im really
in a big flare now so Im guessing that is part of it. I will mention it to my doc this week when I see her. I also try to eat more salt when it gets that low.

These flares are miserable..just pray it goes away quick.

thanks again everyone!

Gursie

Shani

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:07:56 AM »
Hi Gurs,

I also have a lot of issues with my Bp dropping, even when being on meds for it.
I find that a lot of water helps and also eating salty things like crackers or chips.
But this cannot be pleasant with out dryness issues.

I also couldn't get out of bed yesterday and I flare constantly.
So I definitely know how you feel and wish for you to feel a bit better soon.

Definitely mention this to your doctor and I hope she can help you.

gurs

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
Thanks Shani....

Sorry to hear about your flaring too...ughhhh..feels like someone just gave me a shot of poision is best way to describe a flare.

I ate so much salt yesterday..(chips, pretzels etc) and took more medrol, so I feel like a water balloon.  But, I think it helps a bit with the BP.

Gursie

Sha

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »
I know it depends on the person and their norm, but when should ya really worry?? Mine has ran 77/51 as my new low and pulse of 52 at that time! I used to rund  around 124/88, or somewhere around there with a pulse in the 70s or 80s...hmmmmm

any clues?

It makes me dizzy, lightheaded, and at times, naseous! I have  even had to grab ahold of something to stop from passing out.  :o It isn't just when i am getting up from sitting, but any quick change in position will do it!

Sha :-*

Nancy60

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »
Sha and Gurs,

When you start having symptoms like dizziness, passing out, it is definately time to have a doc check it out.   Anything 90/60 or below is technically considered low blood pressure but you doctor will want to consider how long it has been going on, what symptoms are you having along with it, do you have any underlying disease processes, etc...  Below is a link about hypotension (low blood pressure) that is good basic information.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-blood-pressure/DS00590

Please give your doc a call!

Nancy

Tinker

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:53:15 AM »
I think there is a good chance you have orthostatic hypotension or POTS or POT (not sure which is correct.  I was diagnoised with this 11 yrs. ago after chemo which caused peripheral neuropathy.  My stomach didn't empty (gastroparesis) and I lost a lot of weight.  Couldn't walk cause I was so weak and heart rate was over 118 on standing---nurse made me lay down as all the alarms went offf.

So, here I am 11 yrs. later, and I was recetnly hospitalized for paresthesias on lower back and unsteady gait.  I noticed my bp was as low as 82/44.  and then it was higher and was really all over the place.  I mentioned my bp to my neuro and he checked me lying, sitting, standing.  Turns out I lose 30 pts. on standing.  No wonder I'm dizzy and FATIG"UED.  I am seeing his PA to start a new drug , midodrine, to help with this.  Hey, I don't want any more drugs but if I get my life back it's worth the risks. 

I don't want to tke fluocortisone as it is steroids.  no thanks. 

Maybe you need meds to raise your bp.  There are risks and side efffects but it might help with the fatigue and dizziness.

Wishing you well.  Sheila